GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hello and welcome. Introduce yourselves here

BK.

New to VW

Just saying hey. Picked up my 2012 GTI 2 dr, 6sp man (carbon steel gray metallic) 3 days ago. So far I am loving the car and how it feels. Looking forward to watching and learning here. My first mod, ...wheels. I love the 18" Detroit stockers, but I gotta make this car a little more unique. Going up to 19"s in whatever I pick, though. Should be fun.

Last edited:

scm123

Picking up my 2012 Carbon Steel Grey Metallic GTI with DSG on Tuesday. Thanks to everyone on the board for all of the great info. It helped a lot in making my decision. Can't wait to get the car : )

Golf Punk

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all,

I just put a deposit on a candy white Edition 35! Can't wait!! It will be my 5th Golf and 3rd GTI so I guess you could say I'm a fan, in my opinion anyone who knows anything about modern cars know the smart cash is on VW's. Cheers all!

Red Dragon1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Guys,

Just signed up to the forum. Im from Brisbane Australia. Very impressed by the amount of info on here, it should be very usefull. Ive got a 2010 GTI thats been K04ed by APR.

Cheers

AJ's MK6

Hey just signed up, I've had my TR 2dr manual sunroof GTI for 2 weeks, fabulous car and sniping every minute of ownership, coming from a civic, it's been a great switch!

Luvndubn6

Banned
Hello all. Recently picked up my CW GTI autobahn edition. Glad i found these forums! I think they will be of help if i ever have any mishaps with the car down the road.

hammertime300x

Passed Driver's Ed
Unrelated question..

I'm new on here and can't find a way to post...under posting rules it states I'm not allowed to post!? Thanks for the help

GHM73

Ready to race!
I've been on here for a little while but I'm just getting around to this thread...

Hi. I'm Glenn. (friends call me G, or Mase... or Glenn) Born n raised in Jersey by 3rd generation Bronx natives (born/bred Yankee fan).

I'm a certified car nut. My dad had hot rods in the 50s. My brother had them in the 70's and 80s. I love all cars, but I've always had a special place in my heart for small cars and British and German cars in particular.

When I was 17 I wanted to buy my friend's dad's 73 Super Beetle and my parents (mainly my mom) thought it would not be "safe and reliable" enough for me. It would have been $400 with an extra engine, and it was in awesome shape. Boo.

I got hand-me-down cars for a while and when I graduated college and wanted to buy my first new car, I got a 1997 GTI. I loved that car. However, other drivers apparently did not. In the 5 years I owned the car, I was in 7 accidents, none of which were my fault. One of them I was actually just sitting at a red light, and an accident happened in front of me, then one of the cars involved, slid into my front end. Crappy luck with that car. However it can be said that I was very lucky I was never hurt. Especially since at least two of those accidents caused over $6k worth of damage.

That car finally got totaled in it's final accident a mere 2 months after I had paid it off, running strong with 102k on the clock. Sad. I loved that car.

Luckily my insurance company (which never dropped me in NJ even after 7 accidents (fellow NJ peeps will be amazed) gave me $7,800 for the value of my 5 year old, totaled GTI with 102k miles, and I promptly went Audi shopping. Dropped myself into a gorgeous Santorin Blue '98 A4 2.8 quattro with ecru leather and blue piping. LOVED that car. Drove the hell out of it (no accidents). I also bought a '95 Jeep wrangler as a fun summer/go anywhere car. When it came time to put several thousand dollars in maintenance costs into the Audi, I decided to get rid of both the Audi and my Jeep and get another, newer Wrangler. I had that Jeep for a while and gas prices started to creep up, affecting my 45 mile one-way commute costs. So I got an '87 Toyota MR2 for free from my brother, fixed it up and had a nice, fun 35 mpg commuter car.

Eventually, about 2 years later, the '87 (affectionately nicknamed "rusty") was dead beyond repair so I parted her out and scrapped the rest. I then inadvertently found my low mileage 2000 MR2 Spyder for a great price and snatched her up. I also sold my 2nd Wrangler since I really did not need it any more. My wife (fiancee at the time) had a Wrangler and another car too so we did not need two. (4 cars in total).

My wife's Wrangler (a '93) was getting on in age, so we traded it and her Grand Am (yuck) for a new Wrangler in '07. So we were down to the Spyder and a brandy new Wrangler (which we still have).

After racking up over 187,000 miles on the Spyder, it's really getting worse for wear and will need major work, so I needed a new reliable daily driver. All the years I was without my GTI I always said "Man I loved that car" so when it came time to get a new car (it had to be fun to drive and have roomy back seats), I looked at A4, S4, Lexus IS 350, Mini Countryman... and came back to the GTI. Once I drove the 2012, I had to have it. No other car compared. End of story.

The Spyder gets driven occasionally now in nice weather and will get garaged for the winter, then fixed as time and inclination allows. Once again I'm in love with my GTI. It's the best car I've ever owned. Now I just need to figure out how to keep my wife from taking it!

//G

vernacular

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey all,

Been lurking for a while, but just started contributing to the forum. I have a 2010 Golf TDI and am absolutely in love with the car. Live in the lower Hudson Valley of New York, but work in Bergen County, NJ. Originally from Morris County, NJ.

My dad had a green mk1 '77 Rabbit and when it gave up the ghost he replaced it with an '87 VW Fox... so VW's have always been around as I was growing up. They just fit.

Also, a coworker from Ireland got me hooked again with his mk4 GTI, then mk5 R, and now he has a mk6 TDI like me.

Anyhow, I'm really enjoying the wealth of knowledge and enthusiasm I see here.

:thumbup:

Stigosaurus

Greetings

I've been away from the various VAG forums for awhile & am glad to have found this one --a bit more civilized than others I won't mention. I just traded my A3 for a 2012 CSG GTI and could not be more satisfied. The A3 was an excellent car, but after 6+ years it was getting a bit tired. I did not consider anything other than the GTI. My wife has an MK V 2-door, so I thought it might seem strange to have 2 of the things in the driveway -- whatever, we love them, & there you go.

Right now, I'm enjoying the goodness of the car as she comes from the factory. There really is a lot to like about it. The seats and OE suspension beats the A3, and I don't miss the leather interior, auto dimming mirrors & auto headlight feature. In fact, the cockpit surroundings are, overall, an improvement over the A3 -- and the MK V GTI (but you already know that).

The A3, and before that, the MK IV Jetta,were Revo'ed, but I'm not sure whether I will get a tune for this unit. I really don't like the idea of pulling the ECU. The Mrs. has turned down my offers to get her a chip for her birthday (she loves her car, says it's fast enough, and would rather have clothes or jewelry -- go figure), even though it's an easy direct port flash. So, I may be selling my SPS Select dongle at some point. Watch the FS listings or send me a PM if interested.

Great to be back in a Dub.

Last edited:

DubmanGTI

Hi everyone, Just got my 2010 GTI a month ago. I have been driving for a beater the last 3 yrs a 87 Scirocco 16v and had many Audi's and BMW's. The Audi's consisted of 85 4000 quattro, 88' 80 quattro, 2001 Audi Allroad. The BMW's were a 74 2002, 83 320i, and a 95 M3 which I still have. The GTI is a 4dr Black with autobahn, dynaudio, sunroof, bi-xenon's and denver wheels. My GTI is a VW certified used that I got from NWA VW down in Arkansas, the car had a little over 10k miles. So far the car is great and I'm starting to plan out my first Mod's for the car.

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
Hi all,

I read these forums a bit when shopping for a new car, and now I have joined this one since I pulled the trigger several weeks ago and picked up a 2012 Black GTI Autobahn 4dr DSG!

This is my first GTI. My first VW. Hell, my first *new* car. It's replacing a Subaru Forester since I migrated from snowy New England where it was great to sunny California where's it only great for road trips to snowy places. Before that I had a 95 Nissan Maxima.

My constraints on a new car:

o Accelerate quick, handle well
o Small, nimble, easy to park in places like San Francisco and my tiny garage
o Tons of fun to drive on windy roads in the hills
o Refined: I am getting older and didn't want something juvenile

Her constraints:

o Must be nice inside (Audi is a fave of hers)
o Must be automatic so she can drive it (ARGH!)
o Not too expensive ( ~$30K)
o 4dr since my wife and I want kids soon

Lots of research and a couple test drives later and we agreed that the GTI was perfect for our needs! I love the DSG --- she can drive it like an Automatic, but I can leave it in Manual all the time.

I drove my new GTI 1000 miles this weekend on a road trip from San Jose to Los Angeles and back along Rt. 1 along the Pacific coast. Awesome! We left at 750 miles and when I hit the 1000 I rejoiced and did a few 6K pulls to celebrate. The only thing problem I found was the boot is a little small for touring, but we could use the back seats to help.

I've been reading a lot about DIY/mods/tuning on these and other forums, and it's clear I will be getting APR Stage 1 with a Carbonio intake soon since there's a few APR dealers nearby and I have about $1000 to play with for modding (so I hope the next APR sale is soon!).

Thanks for all the great info on this forum!

-Pope

hammertime300x

Passed Driver's Ed
Old hotrodder

Hey ...

I'm probably one of the older guys here...my name is Fred. I've been hotrod ding everything I've owned (except my 90cavalier, and, well why bother?).

I've spent the last 20 or so years or so managing the performance division of an aftermarket parts manufacturer for Harley Davidsons. Now retired.

Got my first VW brand new in 1970.. A brand new beetle for $1935.00... Great car. Also owned a 1971 Campmobile..2000 cc, round port heads, cam, dual S&S G carbs, bigger valves, hi lift rocker arms, compression, and a 40hp shot of nitrous oxide. this thing would actually pass traffic without a tailwind!!

I've wanted a GTI for years, and finally got a new tornado red 4door in June.

so far, I've done the APR stage 2 intake, Stage 1 flash, and catch can. soon I'm adding the 42 dd down pipe, Borla muffler, on the otherwise stock cat back, and of course the stage2 flash. One inch lower coil overs, and a short shift kit are also in my plans.

So far, I love the car, and have "dubbed" it (i know, bad pun) "Heatseeker".
Looking forward to becoming an active member of this forum.

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion
Old and young

Saying Hello to all-

First off, I think the members on here are great and very civil. Occasional hater, but by far the minority.

My story- First car was a 69 VW bug at 15 years old(about 30 years ago). It had a rusty pan, and lots of other problems. Proceeded, to take the body off, and do a full on rebuild. Those cars were/are great. Parts are cheap and good way to learn. Did all the usual stuff. Lowered, wheels, new interior, stroker engine, dual webbers, etc. Learned how to paint a car, filled and frenched all sorts of stuff.

Also, got big into stereos. Back seat was gone, and did all sorts of different things in there. Hifonics Zues, Orion HCCA, PPI (no Fosgate...hated that). EV 18's, etc.

Later got a 53 split window, which I had all kinds of plans for. At about 19, i wound up joining the Navy. Enlisted, served 6 1/2 in Naval Aviation.

Both cars got sold, when I was away in the Navy for reasons out of my control.

Got married and had kids in the Navy.

Spent the next 18 years working hard and putting kids through expensive private schools.

Brings us to current status.

After years of being reliable and rationale, I now have some fundage to do something for myself.

Could have gone out and got the Bimmer, etc. like many guys. But the allure of customizing never left my blood.

So, now I have this project CW 2010 2 door. I have 2011 Jetta TDI which is the transportation, no mods, and all rationale. The GTI is all about doing what is not usual for me.

So looking forward to learning a ton from all you on this forum!