GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hello and welcome. Introduce yourselves here

birdseed404

Ready to race!
Hi all!

Just got out of a 2011 370Z and into my 2011 6MT GTI. Long story short I needed something easier on the wallet, but still sporty so I picked the GTI. I've been impressed with it and can't to start messing around with it!

speed

Ready to race!
newbie from Dubai

Hi everyone! I'm from Dubai and I'm still waiting for my 2011 VW GTI DSG (Pre-owned). What led me to the forum is when I typed on Google 2011 volkswagen GTI mods, I'm a bit excited, am I? I used to drive a Mitsubishi Lancer GT. The paddle shifts on that car I may say is quite responsive but then it's a CVT. After that car I just told myself I'm never driving a CVT again. I just promised myself that the next car I'm driving will give me pure driving pleasure. It was a battle between an American muscle and this German genius. While petrol costs is not much of a worry in the Middle East, the GTI tops the Mustang in my dream cars' list.

I waited for the right time to purchase a VW GTI. The GTI caught my attention some years ago with its sporty, yet classy design. Since then, I've been watching performance videos but could only drool as I cannot afford the car at that time. It's Ramadan now and as expected the showrooms are offering freebies. The VW dealer here offers free insurance, registration, 45k kms free service & 5 years warranty-unlimited mileage.. Best offer in the region actually. So there I went to buy a 2012 GTI base model, unfortunately (such a heartbreaker), the stocks are gone.. My only next option was a VW Scirocco 1.4T, then again the GTI is what I went there for. I didn't want to end up driving on the road and seeing GTIs around and feel sad about it. Fortunately for me on the pre-owned list, there was this silver 2011 VW GTI and a midlevel trim with just 14300 miles on the clock. I'm not too sure what are the differences with the trims against those in your region, but to name a few, the base model here doesn't have xenon headlights nor the automatic park assist. So I must say, for USD 3000 cheaper, I'm getting a better deal with the 2011 model. To top it all, the warranty on the car is extended up to 2016. I'm sorry for boring you guys, hehe.. I'm new in the VW world, got a lot to learn about the mods.. I'm quite concerned about how I will be able to do performance tuning as the vendors are limited here in Dubai.

My wishlist so far:

ECU Tuning (which I really want to learn about to rid of the factory-set limits and increase/unleash power of course)
CF accessories (especially the hood)
Air intake
Magnaflow exhaust

Would appreciate anyone's advise on performance mods. I want to keep it simple, if possible (on not so complicated mods), take off 2 seconds on the 0-60mph.

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
hello, my name is robert. i bought my 2011 golf tdi in march 2012. love driving it and want to make it faster!! all ive done is tint and a cold air intake. i have plenty more to do.

ras_39

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all,

I have always wanted a GTI for a long time but chose Honda's and Acura's in the past. My first experience with VW/Audi Group was back in 2006 when I purchased an Audi A4 Quattro 6speed MT. I instantly fell in love with the car. I really didn't do any mods with it. Unfortunately I gave it up in 2009 and bought a 2006 GTI and the love affair continued. No mods on that either. I traded it last month and bought a 2010 GTI. I'm loving it even more than my MK5. I definitely plan on doing mods with the MK6. This is a great place to start for all the info I need. I hope to gain more knowledge and experience from you guys here on this forum.

Smash1

Hello,

I got my 2012 black 2 door Manual GTI yesterday. I live in North Carolina currently and if there are any great shops around here I would like to know.

Thank you

Tucker3381

Ready to race!
Well, I posted once, but here's the official introduction.

My name is Jason. I've been in the modding scene for some time. I first started with a 2000 Chevy S-10. I loved that truck. I based it's appearance on my desire for clear good looking sleepers. I modded it, lowered it, tuned it, etc, and drove the heck out of it.

While that became a project vehicle and garaged mainly in the winter, I worked through a tC, a MKV Jetta, and a Mazda 3. The Mazda was a fun car, but the whole time of ownership I missed that Jetta. It was the most grown up car I owned, and the little things really made me enjoy it despite the issues.

So The Mazda war rear-ended by a U-Haul and totaled out last January. A quick trip to the VW dealer and I found it, my 2012 GLI with DSG in Frost Silver Metallic. I was back with VW, and it felt good.

"But what is a GLI d00d doing here, in OUR forumz??" Well, it's simple.

I like you all more. The community here seems more in line with what I am looking for in the modding and customization scene. You all don't go overboard, plasti-dip everything, and from what I see, a lot of the 2.0T people here are highly intelligent with frequent posts by reps from actual companies who provide aftermarket services and parts.

I have a DSG, and get crap about it outside of this place. "Never buy a VW automatic!" Here, people seem to like the DSG. Over there, resonator removals are cool. Here its "why make your car sound like crap?" I agree here.

I like the sleeper look and sound. I don't want to become obnoxious with loud exhaust (I enjoy a good note) and a slammed suspension. I have a car that is what I consider fast. I want to be able to enjoy driving it and not worry about steep drive ways or negative attention.

Thanks everyone, looking forward to participating here with you.

Lou Maiuri

Banned
Welcome Jason

Grownups are all about function whereas kids are all about appearance. Tastefully modified sleepers get more attention than a cosmetic joke. I almost bought at 2012 GLI autobahn but the GTI 2 door called my name. What color did you get?

Tucker3381

Ready to race!
Welcome Jason

Grownups are all about function whereas kids are all about appearance. Tastefully modified sleepers get more attention than a cosmetic joke. I almost bought at 2012 GLI autobahn but the GTI 2 door called my name. What color did you get?

Hey Lou, Frost Silver Metallic. I should note that I feel I'm off to a good start. It took second place in the MkVI Jetta category at Dubs in the Valley in Oshkosh, WI this year. It got me pretty psyched.

Due to the nature of why I was buying, I had to move fast. It was sitting on the floor, and I really did like the color. Their only other one was black in a manual. I do drive in traffic a lot as my daily commute one way is 34 miles, so already liking the tech behind DSG, the choice was simple. All the previous cars up to my S-10 were manuals. I had my fun with them, now I need to be more practical.

Just after I bought it:

Lou Maiuri

Banned
Nice, the lower grille on the GLI is spot on. As for manual vs dsg, I hear you. I travel via train to work and the one day a week that I drive in completely sucks. The DSG also has the capability to handle a lot of HP and TQ whereas the manual trans can only handle so much before an upgrade is required.

MatDady1

Hi everyone.

Matt from NoVa (DC Area) here. I've owned my GTI for a week now, and couldn't love it any more. I'm especially looking forward to all the modifications that I'm going to be making next Spring. Since the car's brand new, I figured I'd break it in a bit and get used to it before turning it into a rocket ship.

Is there a recommended time or mileage before making modifications? My plan was to wait until March or April and get the APR Stage I tune and intake.

2 of my best friends had GTI's, and I've always been a fan of them. I've been driving 20 years now. And thanks to this car, driving is fun all over again. It's still not as fun as riding a sportbike, but a thousand times better than driving a 2.5 ton SUV.

raimo_81

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey Guys, and some Gals too I would hope! I'm Ray and this is my first VW. My wife and I bought a 2010 golf, 5MT with 4 doors and absolutely love it. My last car, and it was amazing too for different reasons, was a '97 Accord EX-R. Our car is pretty much stock, aside from 18" GTI mags. We got it last week and not sure where to start really. It's altogether a different car from what I've ever driven with a different clutch, so I guess I will not change anything for a while, just take time to get used to it. We're in Montreal, QC and the roads f'n suck here so I gotta watch those bumps lest I straight out crack my rims! The handling on this baby is unbelievable and the pick up is quite impressive. Sounds nice too...I think the first step will be a cold air intake, all I have seen so far is APR retailing for little less than $300. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

n00btarded

Ready to race!
Hello!

My name is Rickard aka Rick

I'm new to Golfs, and somewhat new to Vee Dubs. I've spent the last year with an Eos for a DD and now I'm driving a 2013 Golf 2.5L.

I've been tuning cars most of my life, and ALL of my adult life. I've got/had these tuners:

An 86 AMC Eagle Wagon that I play in the dirt with (killed by a drunk driver)
2002 Celica (dead)
2000Zx3 2.0T (with too many mods to count)
98 Sunfire 2.4T (that I've gone nearly as insane on as the Focus)
2000 F250 w/ the International Diesel and bully dog mods for hauling all the toys around
2007 2.0T Eos w/ 6spMT.

I'm aiming to have the fastest street legal naturally aspirated 2.5L MK6 golf on the roads. I may not achieve this goal, but I'm sure as Hell going to try.

I started with base as base as base can be, and I've already got a few mods:

17*8 Sparco Pista wheels with Kumho Escta 4x ruber
VW Sport springs & dampners
Colgan front end mask
Colgan mirror masks

Plans:
Poly bushings
BBKs
UM SRI
E85 tune
GTI catback
The C2 or UM cams (if they ever come out)
6spMT swap
Deleting frivolities
CF or Duraflex OE replacement body parts
Lighter weight Poly windows

Eneubauer

Go Kart Champion
Hello!

My name is Rickard aka Rick

I'm new to Golfs, and somewhat new to Vee Dubs. I've spent the last year with an Eos for a DD and now I'm driving a 2013 Golf 2.5L.

I've been tuning cars most of my life, and ALL of my adult life. I've got/had these tuners:

An 86 AMC Eagle Wagon that I play in the dirt with (killed by a drunk driver)
2002 Celica (dead)
2000Zx3 2.0T (with too many mods to count)
98 Sunfire 2.4T (that I've gone nearly as insane on as the Focus)
2000 F250 w/ the International Diesel and bully dog mods for hauling all the toys around
2007 2.0T Eos w/ 6spMT.

I'm aiming to have the fastest street legal naturally aspirated 2.5L MK6 golf on the roads. I may not achieve this goal, but I'm sure as Hell going to try.

I started with base as base as base can be, and I've already got a few mods:

17*8 Sparco Pista wheels with Kumho Escta 4x ruber
VW Sport springs & dampners
Colgan front end mask
Colgan mirror masks

Plans:
Poly bushings
BBKs
UM SRI
E85 tune
GTI catback
The C2 or UM cams (if they ever come out)
6spMT swap
Deleting frivolities
CF or Duraflex OE replacement body parts
Lighter weight Poly windows

I just don't understand why? Not hating but why wouldn't you just buy a gti If the plan is to make it fast. Even with the Sri your still only looking like 200 whp which is what I'm goin to do eventually but I know it still is not even fast

n00btarded

Ready to race!
I just don't understand why? Not hating but why wouldn't you just buy a gti If the plan is to make it fast. Even with the Sri your still only looking like 200 whp which is what I'm goin to do eventually but I know it still is not even fast

You ever driven a car with a turbocharger in 110F w/ 100% humidity?

Merkle

Banned
I have, living here in Louisiana we refer to that as 'August' lol. Usually the A/C is on and the engine is so down on power it doesn't really matter, still, no reason not to get a GTI because of summer. It's starting to get cooler, and now she's spoolin'! Just my .02. Either way, welcome to the world of VW!