GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help! I need to Soundproof my Garage & House

Michael gti07

Go Kart Newbie
Hi folks,
I need some help/experience for latest house updating project.

I bought a house last December and have been updating it during the weekends when I wasn't too pooped from work.
It's a 4-level split with attached garage, built in 1969, with very little updating.
So, due to very high A/C bills, I'm cleaning & sealing the ductwork to current standards, with re-insulating the attic early weekend mornings.

After having torn out 1/3 of my garage ceiling to seal / update ductwork, I need some experience on soundproofing & insulating the 2 car garage (it's under 2 bedrooms).

I have 2 major ideas on how to proceed:

1- Use a Cotton (denim) Insulation Batts in garage ceiling,
and in the common wall between family room & garage.

2- Use a rubber or foam sheeting between the framing
of the walls & ceiling to mechanically isolate vibrations
from the house structure, & redo with pink fiberglass insulation.

I have heard of soundproof/sound deadening wallboard, but not found it yet.

There's a steel I-beam holding up the 2nd floor, because of the framing around it, I will very likely use super efficient phenolic foam to keep it from heat sinking the 2nd floor, but that's for later.

materials reference :
http://soundproofing.org/infopages/natural_fiber.htm

http://www.soundprooffoam.com/quiet-batt-insulation.html

http://www.soundprooffoam.com/quiet-barrier.html

What's worked out for you in the past?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

utekineir

Banned
This house has an extension off the basement in the foundation that's about 14x30.

So, yes.

Yes I do have a rape chamber.

DerekH

Ready to race!
Denim insulation is really expensive. There are other kinds of insulation that will do the same job for less money. Not to mention the fact that even though they do treat the denim its not exactly fire resistant. I think spray foam will be your best tool for this project.

Michael gti07

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks,

Actually, When I was shopping for houses here in Northern Ohio, I saw 2 with bomb shelter type rooms.

One had x2 15ft deep shelter areas in a stand alone garage behind the house.
Steel panel flooring/hatches with winches to lift them even!
House was too small, even if the garages were excellent.

As to the soundproofing, I need to proof the back wall with dimensions 20.5' x 8.5'.

I'm thinking now, the garage ceiling can probably be done with cheap pink fiberglass, with a layer of 3" foam for the garage ceiling.

It's the common wall between garage and family room that may be difficult.
I don't really care if the ceiling is 6 inches lower above the garage door opener, but I probably can only add 2" to the backwall without problems.

It maybe time to check out contractors to see what pros do.

Oh BONUS!
The ductwork runs through the garage ceiling. I now see how to run a duct with a shutter for heating & cooling garage! (I usually have to do some work on the car in winter).

Sterling

Steel Tip
take pics while you do the work and post it up in the home improvement thread duder. :thumbup:

Michael gti07

Go Kart Newbie
I just searched again and there is no "home improvement" thread in this forum.

OOPS My bad.

For some reason, though there would be a separate forum for h.i., and not a thread in off topic.

But there's no story about garages there!

Last edited:

Sterling

Steel Tip