GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help me, what do you think (MK3 VR6 Turbo)

Murdered6

Ready to race!
ok so I got this opportunity to make a trade. This guy has a MK3 GTI VR6 with a stage 2 turbo setup on it, and he is looking to trade me for my 2011 Kawi KX450F

All I know about the car is that its a 1996 it has 180k on the body and 80k on the engine. The guy told me he has worked at a hot rod shop for the last 4 years doing custom fab work and body work. This is his 5th VRT build and as he claims "this one is the best" he hasnt gotten the car dyno'd but he estimates it making 330-350hp. He told me the turbo is a Blouch 50 trim oil fed. He has done all body work on the car in the last year and painted it "Hot rod satin flat black"

Basically I would like to know what you guys think about this, If it would be a decent trade on my end. Also if you think this car would be reliable at all or if there is any known problems with MK3 VR6's. I will probly end up going to check the car out sooner or later but would like your opinions.

Also sorry for all the grammar errors!

My Kawi

Pictures of the MK3

being painted

Murdered6

Ready to race!
I got a good deal on the bike for $4700 and put about 12-1300 into it with upgrades so roughly I have about $6,000 tied up into it.

Murdered6

Ready to race!
i mean, you are investing in an old car, so, expect problems sooner or later. i wouldn't do it. your bike is brand new, why do you want to trade it?

I would really need to take a look at the car and test it first before i would really think about trading it. I know the dirtbike is brand new but it is only a dirtbike (I still own a kx500 so i can still go riding) Idk tho really I never wanted to get rid of my bike but i seen this car and it caught my eye. Plus a VR6 Turbo is pretty sweet. There are just so many things to think about thats why im not too sure on anything yet lol

Murdered6

Ready to race!
Another positive if i would trade is that I can use this car as a daily driver (if its reliable) and keep the miles off my MK6 because the only other vehicle i own is a 94 Ford bronco 5.8 litre with a 6" lift and 35's i think it gets maybe 8 mpg LOL

Murdered6

Ready to race!
DD in a turbo'd Na Vr6? i don't think that car would last you that long. Car looks nice and all but, there is a reason why that guy wants to get rid of his car right.

Thats what i was kind of thinking too, He is pushing 8lbs of boost right now with it but im not too sure how long it will last until something goes wrong, It was his friends car who ended up getting a DUI and sold it to him and he did the body work painted it and turbod it and he has been driving it for a year now, but he owns an Audi S4 too im not too sure his reason of getting rid of it tho, Maybe he is like me and gets bored with things fast...(or maybe the cars a POS and he wants to ditch it before it blows up) LOL

Murdered6

Ready to race!
BECAUSERACECAR

That is a really nice vr... It's a risky trade though. If you have the money or resources to maintain an older VW then go for it.

Agreed x2 but not not really looking forward to dumping a boat load of money into it, was just kind of hoping it wouldnt break hahahah idk maybe im living in a dream world

Murdered6

Ready to race!
NA is much more reliable vs a turbo. needs much more maintenance.

I can deal with maintenance thats not a problem, its just I dont want this car to blow a head gasket 2 months down the road or need a new transmission or something ya know

dubessa

Go Kart Champion
Agreed x2 but not not really looking forward to dumping a boat load of money into it, was just kind of hoping it wouldnt break hahahah idk maybe im living in a dream world

Lol then I don't think this is the one for you. Unfortunately they require a decent amount of work for the most part. My ex's vr was in the shop every couple months. Then again his was pushing 240k so the engine had to be replaced, timing chain, etc etc etc..

Plus you'll run into stupid smaller problems...like electrical (Goddam window buttons....), the sunroof leaking...random squeaking noises that will haunt you.

All that aside, the car was still an amazing car in terms of look, sound and feel. But its a wallet pincher.