GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help with BIG oil consumption issue with P0299 fault code

MattGTDMk7

Car(s)
2015 Golf Mk7 GTD
Car engine help needed please, totally at a loss with this fault! 65 plate VW Golf GTD 117k miles - DPF Regen/Flashing Coil/Oil warning light issue. Happens in this order every 400miles. Sometimes sooner. Oil off the dipstick marks. Top up with 2litres of oil, reset faults and go again - repeat, repeat! Sometimes just flashing coil pops up, limp mode activated, reset and go again. 1300miles done recently, 7 litres of oil used! Fault code P0299 now regularly coming up, especially from cold start and when turbo kicks in. Garage found a fault (using snap-on tablet) with oil pressure switch, but faults above still came back 400miles later. No oil in coolant. No oil leaks Nothing out exhaust (clean, no smoke or soot) Turbo and dpf and associated pipes etc all checked by garage and are like new they said. Compression test reported all good too, not 100% on that but car doesn’t experience any power issues until coil light flashes. Car does pulls like a train in all gears, when all okay. What next? Think heater matrix is blocked as driver side not heating up, but probably unrelated to engine issue? Cannot find where the oil is going, no signs anywhere. Stumped, and so is the garage, who are now likely to give up and say go elsewhere, unless I allow them to strip the engine etc … Next steps - compression test? Perhaps rings or head valve seals gone, burning oil catching in DPF and sent back to engine?? Or, replace diverter valve first? Engine strip and rebuild, replace as inspection develops? Thanks, any help appreciated

misor1994

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GTD Variant
CUPA or CUNA engine? These are well known for the increased oil consumption due to the blocked piston rings. The only way to get rid of it is to change those rings for the thicker ones. However, I have not personal experience, since my GTD is ok, it requires to top the oil level just once in 15t kms (cca 0,5l of oil).

MattGTDMk7

Car(s)
2015 Golf Mk7 GTD
CUNA I believe. Getting quotes of £2.5k upwards to replace/overhaul the engine but I’m concerned the issue also relates to ancillaries too.