GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Homebrewers Unite!

jerm

Ready to race!
I keep telling myself I'm going to do this, just need to find more time!

JewFro

Ready to race!
So glad to have found this thread!

A few of us at work are just getting into home brewing but I'm jumping right into it with two batches currently going.

In the picture the secondary is filled with a Pumpkin Pie Porter and the Primary has an IPA I'm naming "Hopasaurus Rex" which started life as an extract kit with some extra hops added to the boil and then dry hopping before transferring to the secondary (where it is now)

The Porter should be ready to bottle in a few more weeks. My 12/18 date is probably a little optimistic, do you experienced guys think it should sit 3-4 weeks? I was planning on bottle conditioning for 3-4 weeks as well.

micah360

Ready to race!
nice... I was just thinking about selling my setup... maybe I'll just brew another batch first then see. It is pretty fun... time consuming, but fun. I did a Kolsch last year that was really tasty. Yum....

I just went to the Great American Beer Fest here in Denver a couple months back. Colorado is a good place to live for local beers right now :)

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
What's Dry hopping? I have an idea of course; but I'd rather hear the correct definition instead... :D

I got my Northern Brewer's Basic starter kit for christmas; along with an American Wheat extract kit. Had to order a pot (couldn't find a large enough one local for a good price) and a couple other things but I brewed it up over the weekend and got it started fermenting... I am lovin' it so far...

It's bubbling away happily in my mud room (soon to be converted into my brew room) and I already ordered up a 6 gallon Carboy for secondary fermenting, some bottles (didn't get through enough yet as I only had 1 case, so I figured 1 case of "clean" as a back up would be a smart idea) and a bunch of other odds and ends to finish off my ability to do a second brew as soon as I bottle this first one.

Now I just have to decide what my second brew will be... :lol: Thanks for the help and advice!

JewFro

Ready to race!
Just had my first home brew last night! After 1.5 weeks of bottle conditioning my Pumpkin Spice Porter seemed to be carbonating nicely so I chilled a bottle for a few hours and it came out pretty good!

The foul bitter taste from pre-bottling is gone and is replaced with plenty of carbonation and smooth spice flavor. With a few more weeks in the bottle I'd imagine it'll develop more character/body and become even more enjoyable.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
Pale Ale I did for the bachelor party went over extremely well. I've only got about a 6pack left a home and I'm disappointed it will be gone soon.

Can't decide what I want to do next. I've got enough bottles now I can keep a good rotation going but i'm also trying to get back to Tri training so need to cut back on the beer. Making a rule that at home i'll only drink what I brew so that should help... well and wine and scotch I buy :)

I got a big SS pot for christmas so that I can use my turkey frier to brew outside which should keep the kitchen cleaner and smelling less like a frat house.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Ridiculous. Was going to do a search and then start a new thread, but I was beat! Awesome there are more GTI owners and brewers like myself. Been brewing for over 3 yrs and love it.

Right now have a holiday spice Ale and an Irish Red in the fridge. Plus 2 leftover B3 stout. The holiday spice has been our best tasting.

No matter what we (dad and brother) brew, pops loves throwing in an extra lb of malt to smooth things out. Some beers it works well, others not so much. Anyone else have different techniques that I should try??

Saabstory

I am not happy right now... My fermenting first batch is not giving me any signs that it is working...

Online forums are saying it's still probably fine and leave it alone for the 2 weeks; and buckets are notorious for having leaks around the lids so bubbling may not occur much. I get it, it just leaves me guessing if something is screwed up with it... :lol:

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
What does the company you got your kit from say? Some batches only actually bubble for a few days.

The pale ale I did said bubbling would stop after 2-3 days and let it settle another 2-3 before bottling, that is under a week. I got busy and didn't get to bottle it until about 10 days, and we drank it at about 12 days after that and it was absolutely fantastic.

The first two batches I actually went to about 2 weeks fermenting (both said about 1 week also) and I think that made them worse.

Saabstory

The kit instructions are to ferment in the primary for 2 weeks; I haven't asked them specifically yet but I was on "their" home site forum asking about it and got the same advice from several who used the kit.

I think it is probably fine; I just had to vent because it's driving me nuts... :lol:

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
The kit instructions are to ferment in the primary for 2 weeks; I haven't asked them specifically yet but I was on "their" home site forum asking about it and got the same advice from several who used the kit.

I think it is probably fine; I just had to vent because it's driving me nuts... :lol:

When in doubt, take gravity readings. I've had batches finish fast, and others stall. You really just need to take samples and measure.

JewFro

Ready to race!
Drinking the first bottle of my second batch right now. Had to do a little QC before Super Bowl Sunday :)

Its called Hoppasaurus Rex and while it is based on a recipe kit I added 2 ounces of extra cascade hops to the boil and then dry hopped with another 2 oz of fuggles hops when transferring to the secondary fermentation carboy. Total hop content of 12oz for this 5 gallon batch.

Total time for this batch was 8 weeks today! Its been bottle conditioning for two weeks and tastes pretty great. I'm shocked actually. Strong hop flavor and HUGE hop aroma without a big alcohol aftertaste that some big IPAs have.

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
Drinking the first bottle of my second batch right now. Had to do a little QC before Super Bowl Sunday :)

Its called Hoppasaurus Rex and while it is based on a recipe kit I added 2 ounces of extra cascade hops to the boil and then dry hopped with another 2 oz of fuggles hops when transferring to the secondary fermentation carboy. Total hop content of 12oz for this 5 gallon batch.

Total time for this batch was 8 weeks today! Its been bottle conditioning for two weeks and tastes pretty great. I'm shocked actually. Strong hop flavor and HUGE hop aroma without a big alcohol aftertaste that some big IPAs have.

Nice head, or beer fro.

:)