GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
Anyone successfully able to put 5Q0825206K (rear exhaust tunnel cover) with an AWE touring exhaust? The location of the muffler isn't allowing me to put the cover on.
I 3d printed some standoffs to clear my Borla exhaust. It replaces the rear screws. They aren't perfect, and I have to replace them every time I remove them, but they hold up fine on the car. If you have a 3d printer I can send you the STL. (I'd offer to print them but my 3d printer isnt set up right now, and it might be a few before I get around to that)

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
I 3d printed some standoffs to clear my Borla exhaust. It replaces the rear screws. They aren't perfect, and I have to replace them every time I remove them, but they hold up fine on the car. If you have a 3d printer I can send you the STL. (I'd offer to print them but my 3d printer isnt set up right now, and it might be a few before I get around to that)
Thank you. I would really appreciate that. I'll see if a buddy can print me some.

iichel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Passat B8
Dear Dave, just wanted to say thanks for this vast amount of information that you created, facilitated and maintained.
I fitted some parts to my Passat B8 wagon, I haven't come as far yet to fully evaluate the effects but it looks neat on the bottom.
Before I knew anything about this topic, I replaced the half aero tray with the kevlar 3Q0 alltrack skid plate. That was fun, removing front bumper...

After that I fitted the rear 5Q0501733 and 5Q0501734 lower wishbone aero covers at the rear, they work with the 4Motion rear axle.

Then I ran into this topic and saw some other options, out of curiosity.
So I ordered the front aero covers, albeit different part numbers since I have the 3Q0 front wishbones, so the part 3Q0 numbers are not relevant.
They did fit in combination with the 8V0 RS3 brake coolers though, that was interesting.

The full exhaust cover works with the 4Motion platform after fitting 5Q0804421B, just like you wrote.
I took the 5Q0825230H cover that does have a heat shield.

I'll try the Tiguan 3Q0199110B rear front-subframe cover as well, but I'm not sure it will work with the aluminium subframe.
It will be a nicer option than the 'double' Audi metal tray I think since I prefer the kevlar plate over a full metal plate, both in strength and acoustics.

I think this is probably the most I can get.
Since I know you want to keep this info focused on the Golf so I'll not elaborate on Passat specific parts.
But thanks for all the effort you did, really cool.

Last edited:

iichel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Passat B8
Some further info, perhaps already known: The 3Q0199110B front subframe cover will not fit on the 3Q0 aluminum subframe without some modifications. The front holes will line up just fine, but the rear holes don't line up with anything, there is nothing below there. The center hole lines up with a beam that goes below the steering rack. I took the easy way out and drilled some extra holes near the rear holes to line up with another hole in the subframe and used zipties to fix it in place.

It's fixed nicely, i'll give it some 200mph testing sooner or later.

Attachments

• 2023-09-26 11.19.02.jpg
    2023-09-26 11.19.02.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 179
  • 2023-09-26 11.59.59.jpg
    2023-09-26 11.59.59.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 188

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Some further info, perhaps already known: The 3Q0199110B front subframe cover will not fit on the 3Q0 aluminum subframe without some modifications. The front holes will line up just fine, but the rear holes don't line up with anything, there is nothing below there. The center hole lines up with a beam that goes below the steering rack. I took the easy way out and drilled some extra holes near the rear holes to line up with another hole in the subframe and used zipties to fix it in place.

It's fixed nicely, i'll give it some 200mph testing sooner or later.

Its a real problem that it won't fit properly to the aluminium subframe. You could use the thinner "aero tray" from the MK8 Golf which is a one piece item & covers the whole engine bay & subframe, much like the big covers for the convertible Audi TT. .....Or use the Audi TT convertible big cover ....I think there are metal panels (like the MK8 front exhaust tunnel one) & they weigh quite a bit, & are more noisy when hit by stones etc.

iichel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Passat B8
I'm too reluctant to get rid of my kevlar skid plate, so I'll keep it like I have it now rather than the full size trays.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Triple B

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf 7 R
I feel like this threat could do with a final summary by Mk7 Model. For instance - Golf R - these parts will fit and you will need this hardware, these parts may require modification.

iichel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Passat B8
I can confirm that all the aero improvements I did will hold up to 240 km/h.
- Alltrack skidplate
- Front and rear wishbone covers + front RS3 brake coolers
- Tiguan subframe cover
- Front exhaust tunnel cover

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I can confirm that all the aero improvements I did will hold up to 240 km/h.
- Alltrack skidplate
- Front and rear wishbone covers + front RS3 brake coolers
- Tiguan subframe cover
- Front exhaust tunnel cover
My full length belly pan, Tiguan short tunnel cover, RS3 brake ducts, and rear MK8 LCA covers have been good up to 140mph on track.