GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hyundai/Kia Overstates MPG ratings - Affected Vehicle Owners to be Compensated

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
"Procedural errors at Hyundai’s testing operations in Korea led to incorrect fuel economy ratings for approximately 600,000 Hyundai vehicles sold between 2010 and 2012. As part of our corrective actions, we plan to reimburse you for additional fuel costs incurred to date, and in the future...We sincerely apologize for these errors, and our top priority is to make things right for you."

Press release:
http://hyundaimpginfo.com/

affected models
http://hyundaimpginfo.com/overvie...ted-models

CNN article
http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/02/a...verstated/

TLDR: Hyundai/Kia overrated MPG ratings on their vehicles and will reimburse customers for the difference.

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
Damn that's sucks for Kia/Hyundai how many millions do they have to reimburse ??

Well, that sucks for the Kia/Hyundai buyers who thought they were getting a more fuel efficient vehicle than they ended up with. So it's even Steven I'd say.

You know what else Hyundai overstates? HP/TQ. Yup, always better to underpromise and overdeliver on MPG and power numbers I think. VAG gets this right.

Last edited:

CFG9000

Ready to race!
Anyone remember in 2004-ish when SAE standard changes kicked Honda in the balls and forced them to revise their overstated power numbers?

This is why I don't buy from the far east. :thumbsup:

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion

Lol, painting with a very broad brush there. I like Samsung phones (love my iPhone assembled in China), Japanese cars and computers, and lots of other goodies from the far east.

CFG9000

Ready to race!
Lol, painting with a very broad brush there. I like Samsung phones (love my iPhone assembled in China), Japanese cars and computers, and lots of other goodies from the far east.

Phones have shit all to do with cars.

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
Damn that's sucks for Kia/Hyundai how many millions do they have to reimburse ??

Not sure (honestly didn't read all of it), but these customers will be compensated for the life of the vehicle from what I understand.

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
Anyone remember in 2004-ish when SAE standard changes kicked Honda in the balls and forced them to revise their overstated power numbers?

Phones have shit all to do with cars.

So... The bolded statement applied only to cars? Ok.

SayaGTI

www.meatspin.com
At least they copped to it.

trigger_storey

Ready to race!
It didn't end up too bad. They said the Soul dropped to 29 on the sticker window for highway mileage. But my wife's Soul gets around 34-35 on trips we have taken. I called Kia today and had to set up a appt to get the mileage recorded and got told I would recieve about $300 a year if I drive the 14,000 miles the car was driven last year.

trigger_storey

Ready to race!
Not considering the deal they want to make with the owner's to avoid lawsuits states that they will pay the amount lost multiplied by the price of gas in your area plus 15% for the entire life of the vehicle while you own it. LOL not too shabby at all. I still don't feel like I got scammed too much. My window sticker said 26/34. I have gotten that previously.

2.0t_convert

Ready to race!
I think Soul owners are among those getting the best deal here. 2.0L engine model lost 6 mpg on the EPA estimates.

Old EPA: 26/34
New EPA: 23/28

And the fact the owners get to keep claiming each year as long as they own and drive the vehicle. Lucky owners.

twilightZone

I also read from this article here: Car Loans Rates, that Hyundai Motor Corp. and sister car maker Kia Motors will compensate consumers through the end of 2013 or for a longer time that were negatively impacted by mpg overestimate on window decals, reports The Detroit News. In letters to VA senator and Commerce Committee chair Jay Rockefeller in Nov 2012, the Korean car makers announced their intent to compensate 1.1 million automobile owners in North America.