GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hyundai Veloster N in the same breath as VW GTI

DAS_STIG

Banned

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
This car does look like some serious good stuff. The styling, while not my cup of tea entirely, is better than the Type R. The interior seems very solid at this price point, and from what C&D said about its dynamics, if those are the same as we end up getting here with NA models, this would be a definite contender if I was in the market for a hot hatch. I've been really impressed with the Korean car makers lately; the G70 for instance seems likely to really put some heat on Audi, as it has the potential to give you S4 type gusto for A4 type pricing, for instance.

But I really want to see what this thing is going to be in full North American form, including pricing and options.

adam1991

Banned
Ugly.

Too much power for FWD, don't care what they do.

No DCT for two years? Maybe by then they'll un-Type-R that styling.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Given that the Type R puts down 300+ with everyone and their uncle saying it works fine, I'm not worried about the 275 or whatever in the Veloster. For me, the test would be how does it feel inside, both in terms of driving and in terms of just being in the cabin. One of the things the Golfs do well in higher trims particularly is impart a sense of solidity and quality. If the Veloster can do this--and based on what the Stinger and the Genesis cars are doing, the possibility is definitely there--it would definitely be worth a long look.

adam1991

Banned
Everyone says SUVs are better family haulers than minivans, too. People will make up all sorts of things to justify their bad decisions.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Everyone says SUVs are better family haulers than minivans, too. People will make up all sorts of things to justify their bad decisions.

True enough, but I'm sort of confused as to why you think the car has too much horsepower. Is there an upper limit, in your mind, to power for a FWD car? Is that limit the same no matter what engineering goes into its delivery? Is it a pure physics sort of thing for your? I'm genuinely curious.

Personally, I don't really want a FWD car pushing 300 horsepower, either. I really have come to like AWD, considering RWD really isn't an option. I'd be quite unlikely to buy one of these Velosters for a variety of reasons. But I'm not seeing the technical issue.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Clubsport S has over 280 horses, I don't see the issue....

This comes with the Hyundai version of the Borg FXD(VAQ) which seems like a smart play on their part, I just don't like Veloster as a package mainly because its not very practical hatch form factor. I'd rather they bring the i30N over...

KlipZ

Ready to race!
Not sure either. Hyundai claimed power is basically where the focus st is and well below the civic type r.

And easily what a Stage1 tune is on our cars.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
It has the same amount of torque as the stock GTI. I'm guessing you need a lot of road to utilize the extra horses it has. With a top speed of 155 I kind of think you'd run out of gas before you got there.

Seems like it's quick off the line (they're probably wringing the shit out of it to get those mid 5 times) but it's pretty tame 60-100 and the times in the quarter are only marginally better than the stock GTI so the power tapers on the high end.

It's hardly a powerhouse, I bet it drives almost exactly like the GTI since the Koreans are notorious rip-off artists.

That being said, it's nice looking, a bit too obvious for my tastes. It should easily take up the space left when the Focus ST is discontinued.

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
The I30N is about the same weight as Golf R, 3365 lbs. curious to see the weight on the Veloster N. In regards to too much power for a FWD car, I gotta laugh. Guess none of you have driven tuned GTIs? I’m making 342 Whp and car drives, handles and hooks up great.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Its actually kinda ugly. Maybe its that powder blue color. I think the regular veloster looks way better.

Its a cool car... finally. But I still need my 4 doors and cargo space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KlipZ

Ready to race!
All in all, still a Hyundai. No thanks.

Meh. I know this is a Euro car forum and most of us that drive VW are keen on staying in the Euro market. However:

I don't see anything wrong with Hyundai or anything Japanese/Chinese/Korean at all. Honda, Hyundai, Toyota are all pretty great cars. Very reliable (some would argue more reliable and less expensive to maintain than our euros).

My brother (still in school) is driving a hand-me-down 2008 Hyundai Sonata nearing 100k miles and has had zero issues throughout its life.

Girlfriend has a 14 year old 100k+ Camry with the same reliability. She'll likely be getting a Hyundai Tuscon or Sante Fe Sport in the coming months. I'd like her to be in a Q3/Q5 but her nor I really want to take on that expense.

I think Euros are great and their my kind of car. I wouldn't buy a Honda, Hyundai or Toyota for myself, but they're reliable machines for the price. The fact that these companies are trying to push into the European dominated "performance" car market is great for us. It's going to force VWs hand and make them innovate.