GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I got to drive a fiesta

krische

vdubber in training
I got to drive a Ford Fiesta today. I went to our state fair this afternoon, and they a Fiesta Movement thing setup outside the fair. They had 2 manuals and 2 automatics. So if you answered some of their survey questions, they let you drive it around their little course setup with cones.

I have to say I was quite impressed. I don't know exactly what features were in the one I drove, it had leather-ish (not sure if it was real leather) seats. So I would guess it wasn't the baseline model. I thought the guy said that all trim levels will have the push-start ignition (so the key fobs that know they are in the car). I thought the Microsoft Sync would be an option.

But yeah, definitely a better car than the focus.

mkvtg37

women = cunts

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
But what did you think of it compared to a GTI? Did it feel cheap? Was it light and fun?

designation_mi5

Ready to race!
Very excited about the Fiesta. We finally get one of Ford's cool cars (exclude Mustang and Edge) This should have been available to the US a long time ago.

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
I was excited about the Fiesta as well, until I read the reviews of the euro-spec cars they've been handing out to testers. The AB review claims the 1.6L mill is spinning at 4k RPMs @ 75 MPH. And I highly doubt the North American spec cars will be geared any higher. That means the car is geared shockingly low.

No thanks. I drove a car that was geared that low for 2 years. It sucks in commuter mode on the Interstate. I'll reserve final judgment until after I test drive. But if these reports are right, I don't expect the watered down, US-spec car to be all that exciting.

And if they cut the hatchback configs for the US market than it is automatically a big pile of fail.

I'm holding out hope for a revised Focus. Gimmie a 5-door world-spec (ie gen-3) Focus with the 'ecoboost' DI'ed 2.0L and a manual trans. Anything else and I'd rather have a GTI.

krische

vdubber in training
huh, didn't know that about the gearing. That seems absurd to have it that low. Although don't forget that they auto tranny will likely be much more popular here. I thought I remember the one person saying it would have a tiptronic type automatic. They said you'd be able to put it in 'manual mode.' But I dunno, they were mostly just college kids hired by some marketing firm most likely.

But they will for sure be having the hatchback. I think the model more in question is if they will make a 4 door or just have the 5 door hatchback.

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
Ford calls it Powershift, but yeah, it sounds like the Fiesta will be available with a dual-clutch transmission, similar to the VW DSG.

I know I'm in the (shrinking) minority of American car buyers, but I still want a manual trans, or else. If the Ford lineup continues to go auto-only, then I'll continue to buy imports. A dual-clutch trans won't change that.

krische

vdubber in training
good read. It says its only a 4 speed, so I'd imagine it will still rev pretty high at high speeds. I wonder how Ford's will compare to the VW DSG.

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
Where did you see four-speed? The manuals I've seen spec'ed are 5-speeds, and Ford has announced the Powershift dual-clutch is a 6-speed.

Edit: The Powershift will supposedly be a dry-clutch. IIRC the VW DSG is a wet clutch. There's one difference for you.