GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I have an awesome Idea

inc55

Go Kart Champion
I have this awesome idea which I wanna pitch to VWOA or any other major player in the car game. What should I do to protect myself from idea theft? I think filing for a patent is out of the question because it can be a bit pricey. Can anyone get me any info on how DSG works in these cars. I'm sorry but I cannot share this idea until I've at least tried to contact VW.

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
They likely won't even listen to you unless you have a patent pending. Most companies won't (so you can't sue them for IP theft later on if they do launch it, but had been working on it anyway).

You could try to get them to sign a non disclosure... but good luck on that too.

Unless you have a very specific mechanical or software based system, with a prototype or at least a computer based model, you're never going to get any money out of it. Just having a "good idea" ain't enough to get jack.

ranman80

Passed Driver's Ed
yeah buddy, you're gonna need a patent. i have a bitchin idea that has nothing to do with cars but in another field that basically everyone would use everyday. i'm in the process of talking with a patent attorney to do a search first. whole process including purchasing the patent is at least $8-$10k.

it better be a good one and one that you can market!

DJEuphoria

Go Kart Champion
They likely won't even listen to you unless you have a patent pending. Most companies won't (so you can't sue them for IP theft later on if they do launch it, but had been working on it anyway).

You could try to get them to sign a non disclosure... but good luck on that too.

Unless you have a very specific mechanical or software based system, with a prototype or at least a computer based model, you're never going to get any money out of it. Just having a "good idea" ain't enough to get jack.

yeah buddy, you're gonna need a patent. i have a bitchin idea that has nothing to do with cars but in another field that basically everyone would use everyday. i'm in the process of talking with a patent attorney to do a search first. whole process including purchasing the patent is at least $8-$10k.

it better be a good one and one that you can market!

QFT.

but i can't talk, i'm a dreamer too.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
I have this awesome idea which I wanna pitch to VWOA or any other major player in the car game. What should I do to protect myself from idea theft? I think filing for a patent is out of the question because it can be a bit pricey. Can anyone get me any info on how DSG works in these cars. I'm sorry but I cannot share this idea until I've at least tried to contact VW.

Not really sure where you're going with this , you say you have an awsome idea then ask if anyone can tell you how DSG works? If you think its really legit then get the patent, apparently a design patent can cost up to 10K , but your talking about selling it to the 3rd largest automaker in the world., it could be worth many millions. also dont bother with VWOA , they don't design the cars. You would need to contact VAG germany. Good luck :D

inc55

Go Kart Champion
I really want to share this but I can save up 10k or possibly find an investor. I'm pretty sure everyone here would love the idea. I actually had this idea like a year ago but brushed it off as dreaming. I pitched an idea to Adidas where I suggested a sneaker with interchangeable stripes (different colors) they told me they weren't interested then released adicolor like a year later.

DJEuphoria

Go Kart Champion
I really want to share this but I can save up 10k or possibly find an investor. I'm pretty sure everyone here would love the idea. I actually had this idea like a year ago but brushed it off as dreaming. I pitched an idea to Adidas where I suggested a sneaker with interchangeable stripes (different colors) they told me they weren't interested then released adicolor like a year later.

that's exactly why you need a patent....

inc55

Go Kart Champion
Man I gotta spend 10k in the hopes they will even like my idea. How about I tell someone trustworthy on these forums and he tells me how to proceed?

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
http://www.patent-ideas.com/patents.htm

from this website:

Should You Patent?
Before seeking patent protection, you should first determine whether your invention is potentially marketable. If your invention is not marketable you do not need patent protection. When determining whether your invention is marketable, you should determine if another company would be able to profit from your invention not only today, but also in the future. If so, patent protection should be sought so that the company would have to license the invention from you.