GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I need some advice..

xplicit

Go Kart Champion
Dear fellow MKV-ers.

I'm in quite the pickle, first things first. I work for one of the largest printing company's in the nation, and currently I'm working as a shipping manager, now I'm not really satisfied with my job nor am I with my position. The company is progressively starting to get worse and worse, the supervision (big wigs) are driving this place into the ground. The company is a Fortune 500 company so they got money. Knowing how hard it is currently to get a job I wouldn't want to leave there unless I got another job first, so I applied and applied. Finally I get a call back from GE Aviation, now GE is one of the better places to work for to say the least, 6th in Fortune 500 and awesome starting benefits and pay from what I've gathered.

My phone interview went great, so a month later I have my "technical" interview, now what this consisted of is they had 4 tools infront of me and I was supposed to know the names and how to use them...somehow? Now, these tools are not your average home depot tools, they are specialized tools for the work that the company does. So needless to say I didn't feel comfortable after completing my "quiz". After the quiz was a verbal interview which went great. So today I get a call back and they broke me the news, I did great on my phone interview and my verbal interview, but failed my "quiz". So what they offered me is that I start off as a "temporary" worker and after 90 days I get assessed by my manager and his supervisor, if I were to pass that I get to go to the "final" stage which is a verbal interview with 5 different groups which consist of 2 people each..and then I'm in...if I pass that as well.

I'm torn. I don't know what to do, I want to get into this company so bad but I don't want to just up and leave the job I currently have because it's not a bad gig at all. I know If i get into GE I would be making more money, better benefits and It's just an awesome place to work at, I'm not much of a "risk" taker so to say but this has me so confused of what I should do. If I decide to go for it, there's no turning back there's no way my current employer will take me back, so tell me golfmkv, what kind of advice do you have for me.

lightningjack

Go Kart Champion
Not knowing your situation, it's hard to say since I don't know what the risks are. If you live at home, and you lose your job, it's not as big of a deal as if you rent, which isn't as bad as if you own your own home.

Sounds cliche, but how a pro and con list?
What are the long term prospects at either place? Room to advance?
GE pays more, but how much more do they expect?
Is it a longer and more expensive commute?

On the bright side, GE looks great on a resume and it's so huge with so many different divisions, I would think there is always room to move. The fact that you failed the quiz, but were still offered a shot, means you must have really impressed someone during the interviews. Given that, plus a solid work ethic, I'd say go for it.

Whatever you decide, Good Luck!

xplicit

Go Kart Champion
Not knowing your situation, it's hard to say since I don't know what the risks are. If you live at home, and you lose your job, it's not as big of a deal as if you rent, which isn't as bad as if you own your own home.

Sounds cliche, but how a pro and con list?
What are the long term prospects at either place? Room to advance?
GE pays more, but how much more do they expect?
Is it a longer and more expensive commute?

On the bright side, GE looks great on a resume and it's so huge with so many different divisions, I would think there is always room to move. The fact that you failed the quiz, but were still offered a shot, means you must have really impressed someone during the interviews. Given that, plus a solid work ethic, I'd say go for it.

Whatever you decide, Good Luck!

Well, I live about 5 minutes from my home, and GE is 10.

I have a mortgage for my house, but currently split it with my brother.
I also have my car payment and everything else, phone insurance etc.
One of the reasons I want in with GE is because their advancements are alot better i would assume

Scharf

Stay at current job and take it.

ONLY switch when it is 100%, like hire you tomorrow 100%.

artdohc

Ready to race!
As someone who has taken jobs as a temporary worker...I say go for it. It really depends on how competent you think you are, but at every temp job I've ever taken I was offered full employment because I worked hard, got along with others, and MADE SURE my boss knew I wanted full employment every time I could drop the hint.

Once you are in the door it is a lot harder to ignore you then when you are just a resume, and you have the inside track in case another position at GE opens that you might better qualify for.

Also, GE is a major resume builder. Jump ship.

Bad hare

Ex-mkv owner
As someone who has taken jobs as a temporary worker...I say go for it. It really depends on how competent you think you are, but at every temp job I've ever taken I was offered full employment because I worked hard, got along with others, and MADE SURE my boss knew I wanted full employment every time I could drop the hint.

Once you are in the door it is a lot harder to ignore you then when you are just a resume, and you have the inside track in case another position at GE opens that you might better qualify for.

Also, GE is a major resume builder. Jump ship.

agreed.

Not sure about your age, but now is your time to take chances. Not when you have kids to feed. Do it or you'll never know what could have been.

GTi R Enigma

Profitier...
Take the job, every job has a 90 probation period, just think of it as that. Do well learn the job and in 3 months they'll see what you can do.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
I was very unhappy last year working as adjuster and appraiser. I really wanted to become a agent. I took a job in a starting position in November. I basically started all over again at age 32. I took a huge and I mean HUGE pay cut and could'nt be happier. I own a home and my wife supported me 100%. My new employer seems very interested in helping me move forward.
I say go for it!!

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
Are they offering you a position as a contract worker or an actually temporary worker position? If it's contract, do not do it by any means. Stay where you are because it's an actual job. A contract is a contract and they can drop you at any time, you have no rights or benefits as a contractor, basically you'll be the red headed stepchild in the company. If they hire you as an actual employee, that's completely different. Either way I don't like it. If it's a lateral transfer it's easier to negotiate your salary. But if they put you in a temporary position and cut your pay, it'll be difficult to negotiate that back up because you no longer have the power to say "My last job payed me $__." And they'll also know they have you by the balls because you don't have another job, you're just a temp. Once you're known as a temp, they can put you into that box and have al kinds of power over you. Right now they don't have anything on you and whatever they're telling you now is going to sound nicer than what they finally offer you after this probationary period. If it was me, I'd stick at the job you're in now, study those 5 tools and interview with them again in 6 months or a year.

I just wouldn't jump ship on your current job too quickly. If they are a Fortune 500 company that means a lot. They aren't going to let that company go belly up without a fight because being a Fortune 500 company means the opportunity loss is much greater than the actual losses and they can operate in the red for quite some time. Maybe the current manager's will run your department into the ground, executives will take notice and then re-evaluate current management. Just make sure you keep a notebook of dirt on the people who are running the place into the ground. When executives start to re-evaluate things to find out why your company is taking a nose dive they will ask questions and want answers. If you have copies of memos, a record of things people did and said, etc you have your ass covered and your job is saved. I'm not saying that you should be backstabbing your co-workers or tattling, but you have to cover your own ass if this company is being run into the ground like you say it is. If they try to blame you because "Shit always rolls downhill" then you really need to be able to defend yourself and prove it wasn't your fault - you need to have empirical evidence to save yourself. I mean something that can't be removed or taken away from you. Keep your own hardcopy on a thumbdrive or something. Don't just save emails to the server or your hard drive because if they suddenly pull the plug on you, you've lost all the power to defend yourself. Write down in exact quotes people say, record events with time stamps, address, full names and titles, keep your rolodex, remember stuff and keep your head out of your ass. I know how it is to be running around like a chicken with it's head cut off dealing with other people's shit so much that you have your own head so far up your ass that you can't see the forest through the trees.