GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IAmA Marine Corps Recruiter.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
There are probably a lot of people who have spent a significant amount of time here on the forums, but have not taken the time to go to www.marines.com to find out what programs are available. My intention here is to educate, not to recruit anyone; I won't try to change your mind or your values, but if you learn something useful that may help you out, I've done my job. Or rather, someone else's job (because I can't get credit for someone who enlists under a different recruiter).

A little about me: I'm a Sergeant (E-5), MOS 2841 by trade (organizational communications systems repairer), joined in early 2007 out of Illinois where I was living at the time. I joined because I wanted the opportunity to go somewhere with my life; I was working minimum wage jobs with no future and little opportunity of advancement. So, having a steady paycheck, guaranteed work, and full medical benefits, along with guaranteed advancement opportunities and retirement options appealed to me. I reenlisted because I realized that I don't have the job skills nor experience (yet) to land a good job in the "real" world, and the job security can't be beat. Not to mention I want to have a family, and I would rather not struggle trying to provide for them.

Please keep political opinions out of this thread; I won't always quickly answer as I do work 12+ hour days at least 5 days a week.

If you don't agree with military service, or have various other political or socieological ideals that contrast with what some may call patriotic....you're welcome, you have the freedom to express such things because of the men and women who serve your country's armed forces.

Open for questions.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Are there jobs in the military that don't require going out in the field?

Good question. And by "field" I assume you mean outside the wire on deployment. The simple answer is yes; however, every Marine is a rifleman first and foremost. Doesn't matter if you're admin, or supply, or comm, or aircrew; every single Marine shares the basic combat skillset in order to pick up a rifle and fight. Now, some jobs are obviously more combat centric than others, but you always have what is called "provisional infantry"; this is where a unit trains for an infantry mission (such as route clearing/security/indigenous contact) and it doesn't really matter what your job is, if you're part of the group that is going to be conducting said missions, you'll be doing exactly that. However, we as Marines pride ourselves in some of the best training available; there is a long training process involved to get certified to be deployable and to be used for certain missions.

Are there certain jobs that (at least in the Marines) are less likely to be deployed? Yes and no. I've been in 6 years and I haven't deployed once. It sucks because I should have gone about 3 times by now...at least twice to Afghanistan and more than a few MEUs (Marine Expeditionary Unit: a group that sails on a humanitarian/training mission for a few months). Depending on what unit I would have deployed with, I could have either ended up participating in route clearance, or I could have spent the entire time in an air conditioned workspace.

Honestly, the best answer to this question, as posed by an applicant, would be: Do something that you know you will enjoy, and don't worry about the risks involved, because everything has risks. You can be confident that you'll get the best training possible, to greatly improve your survivability, and the Marines to your right and left aren't ever going to let you down.

Does all this answer your question?

JoshuaNY

Passed Driver's Ed
I just wanted to thank you for your service. I have a few friends whom are Marines. One is an O-3, 1802 and the other is an O-5, 5803.

They both have done several tours in Afghanistan. The one who is an MP is currently in Abu Dhabi doing some sort of security work.

Semper Fi.

If you don't agree with military service, or have various other political or socieological ideals that contrast with what some may call patriotic....you're welcome, you have the freedom to express such things because of the men and women who serve your country's armed forces.

I totally agree with this statement.

FlyByGti1

Go Kart Champion
I considered going to the marine corps. I even went so far as to talk with a recruiter. I really didn't know what I wanted to do/still don't and the marines seemed like a great way to hopefully get some direction.

jerome99

Go Kart Champion
MY recruiter was great. No lies, no tricks, and helped me pick the right mos. he would not let me go 03 or NBC. He guided me to Tactical Data Networking, something that would be useful for ME when I got out. When I got out the doors flung open, more opportunity than I could have imagined.

I never deployed to the middle east and I feel that I missed out on something that I was supposed to be a part of. I did get to go to S. Korea though.

iPanir123

Go Kart Champion
Good question. And by "field" I assume you mean outside the wire on deployment. The simple answer is yes; however, every Marine is a rifleman first and foremost. Doesn't matter if you're admin, or supply, or comm, or aircrew; every single Marine shares the basic combat skillset in order to pick up a rifle and fight. Now, some jobs are obviously more combat centric than others, but you always have what is called "provisional infantry"; this is where a unit trains for an infantry mission (such as route clearing/security/indigenous contact) and it doesn't really matter what your job is, if you're part of the group that is going to be conducting said missions, you'll be doing exactly that. However, we as Marines pride ourselves in some of the best training available; there is a long training process involved to get certified to be deployable and to be used for certain missions.

Are there certain jobs that (at least in the Marines) are less likely to be deployed? Yes and no. I've been in 6 years and I haven't deployed once. It sucks because I should have gone about 3 times by now...at least twice to Afghanistan and more than a few MEUs (Marine Expeditionary Unit: a group that sails on a humanitarian/training mission for a few months). Depending on what unit I would have deployed with, I could have either ended up participating in route clearance, or I could have spent the entire time in an air conditioned workspace.

Honestly, the best answer to this question, as posed by an applicant, would be: Do something that you know you will enjoy, and don't worry about the risks involved, because everything has risks. You can be confident that you'll get the best training possible, to greatly improve your survivability, and the Marines to your right and left aren't ever going to let you down.

Does all this answer your question?

You actually answered all my questions. Thank you for the thorough and detailed response.

quality_sound

hmm.......
Are there jobs in the military that don't require going out in the field?

Absolutely, but the services that are ground combat focused will spend more time deployed. It's the nature of the beast.

I don't know how different the rates are for Army and Marines but they're easily the top two deployers. Then Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard. Yes, the Coast Guard is a military branch.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
a recruiter came to my high school and i passed a little PT test he threw at me, so i setup to get more information and apply, but later on i found out my parents threw away all the materials they sent to my house. i don't want to say that i really regret it as i'm satisfied with going to college and now working full-time but i still wonder how succesful i could have (would have) been. it would have been nice to at least make the decision myself.

quality_sound

hmm.......
a recruiter came to my high school and i passed a little PT test he threw at me, so i setup to get more information and apply, but later on i found out my parents threw away all the materials they sent to my house. i don't want to say that i really regret it as i'm satisfied with going to college and now working full-time but i still wonder how succesful i could have (would have) been. it would have been nice to at least make the decision myself.

You still can make the decision. Plus, with your degree there could be the option of comissioning. Worth asking the question at least.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Why did you choose Marines over AirForce or Navy?

I talked to the Army fresh out of high school; the recruiter didn't seem too interested in talking to me and I left after he told me that I probably wouldn't get the job I wanted. Fast forward a couple years; when I was working at Lowe's, a coworker there had served in the Marines previously and got me in touch with his recruiter. The rest as they say is history.

As for my main motivation to be a Marine as opposed to an airman or sailor or soldier...it's pride. The Marines are badass, everyone knows that. There's 500,000 on active duty in the Army, 350,000 in the Air Force, and 300,000 in the Navy. The Marines, on the other hand, is about 190,000 strong.

I am proud of being a Marine. Capital M. I'm not a soldier. I'm not a sailor. I'm not an airman. I'm a United States Marine. And I feel that I get a particular degree of respect for that, which I wouldn't get otherwise.

Plus, wearing these blue trousers with the blood stripe makes me look damn sexy.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
kern417 said:

I won't pretend to be a good recruiter; I'm just starting out. However, a good recruiter will talk with you and find out what is important to you, such as your needs and motivators, and tailor the conversation specifically to those things. We are supposed to be consultants, not salesmen. I would suggest taking the time to just talk to one; if he's a good recruiter, he should talk with you about your goals in life, and how the Marine Corps can help you achieve those goals. If he just pressures you to join, talk to his boss. We are supposed to be somewhat aggressive, just because a lot of people don't even know what they want, but I will never EVER try to coerce or pressure or intimidate someone into doing something that isn't ideal for them.