GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

If you were President...what would you do? (READ THE OP!!!)

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
This isn't one of those "if you had unlimited money and power" things...I'm curious to see what ideas people have for improving the way our country is run, and fixing problems in society. While I do expect arguments and disagreements, keep it civil as everyone is entitled to their ideas and beliefs. Everyone has their own idea about who is doing what wrong...here's your chance to lay out how YOU would do it right. If you're going to criticize, it should be constructive...instead of 'Y U SO DUM' it should be 'That may not work so well, THIS is why, and THIS is how it might work better'.

Also...let's not clog this thread with ridiculousness, I'd really like to see some genuine ideas out there. You're citizens...what are your HELPFUL ideas? How would they work and how would they help?

Last edited:

Merkle

Banned
1. Double NASA's funding
2. Repeal tort reform
3. Rebuild roads
4. Cut military spending in 1/2
5. Get a blowjob
6. Take a nap
7. Profit

You're welcome America.

EDIT: I'd also get rid of that dumbass law that requires you to wait 25 years before you can import a vehicle.

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion
hookers, blow, and big turbos will solve most problems

joeeee

Ready to race!
bill clinton. i think i'd like to be bill. america loved him got impeached, and still loved today.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I'd fuck bitches like all damn day, no doubt.

But seriously, doesn't matter what Count Blackula does, he gets ridiculed for it.

Merkle

Banned
Seriously though, we spend way too much on out military, not enough on our soldiers, and not enough on ourselves as a country. Science, infrastructure, economics, they all go hand in hand, invest in these and they all skyrocket.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
I know that there are fundamental flaws in much of my thinking, so feel free to add your improvements or changes.

-Limit foreign aid and involvement in foreign matters. That's money better spent at home. Be willing to help countries who actually need and ask for it, but HELP them..don't fix their problems for them. They have to put forth their own effort.

-Zero tolerance for aggression. Let North Korea know that ANY unwarranted aggression on South Korea will be met with overwhelming force. If they shut up and leave everyone alone, we'll leave them alone too.

-Stop giving tax breaks to wealthy corporations for any reason other than developments that help society and their customers. Enact legislation that further regulates a fair industry, such as the Net Neutrality act, to stop companies like Verizon from trying to squeeze every last penny out of their customers. Encourage development and innovation, rather than turning an existing idea into a cash cow.

-Welfare reform. This would be met with a lot of resistance. But, no more free handouts to those who don't need it. If you are unable to work because of a legitimate disability, you're eligible. Criteria will be firmly laid out in the letter of the law to prevent people from coming up with all sorts of imagined ailments. If you can work but refuse to...you don't get shit.

-Education reform. Award scholarships and grants to those who demonstrate an ability and willingness to learn...not those who just happen to be in a low income bracket. Your familys wealth should have nothing to do with your GPA and test scores. No more education for illegal immigrants.

-Immigration reform. Make it clear that if you want to live and work in America, you must either be an American citizen or have a legitimate reason. Illegal aliens will be immediately deported, and people who aid and employ them will face heavy fines and jail time. Strengthen the borders; allow people with legitimate credentials to freely move about, but have strict customs policies in place to reduce drug trafficking. If possible set up a no-mans zone on borders. Unidentified individuals or vehicles will be swiftly stopped; use of deadly force authorized to protect border incursions. We are a sovereign state after all. Use military to guard the border, such as National Guard, with specific training. I bet dope runners would think twice after a few get obliterated by attack helicopters.

-Strengthen and build up the military. Don't cut funding. Improve relations with other countries through joint training. Try to limit overblown development budgets by promoting joint development with our allies. Become a superpower once again through better training and equipment, rather than military involvement where we aren't welcome.

-TSA: Greatly increase oversight. Reduce funding and require intensive training with regular testing and refreshers. Fix their stupid rules, and somehow require common sense in screening. Possibly establish training for flight crew to deal with threats. I'm not saying eliminate them, but I am saying that they're incredibly inefficient and ineffective at what they're supposed to do. They limit the free movement of bona fide citizens, while all too often missing real problems.

-Gun control: Make it much less legally painful for law abiding citizens to own and carry firearms. Make penalties for misuse much worse. Preempt state laws on open and concealed carry. THe public perception can't be fixed, but if more people carry, they will come around. I agree with requiring background checks on every person. An armed public is a safe public. Your average hoodlum in DC or Chicago would think twice about pulling a gun when he knows that his potential victim is very likely to be armed.

-Healthcare reform: I honestly have no idea how to deal with this. Obamacare is obviously flawed. But so is the healthcare industry where medical attention and health insurance is insanely expensive.

-Corrections reform: Reestablish the death penalty, and expand crimes it covers. Reduce minimum requirements for inmate support. Make labor a requirement...you don't work, you don't eat. The problem is, prison isn't so bad anymore, and some people actually think it can benefit them in one way or another. There are so many criminals that have demonstrated that they can't function in society for some reason or another...and have found that going back to prison is easier than making a living. There are many that have no place in society because of attitude or actions, and have no business burning our tax dollars. They owe us...we don't owe them. You steal or destroy...you're going to work to pay off what you stole or damaged. Cause intentional physical harm to another human being with malicious intent...you should break rocks for the rest of your life. Right now, there's little incentive for individuals to think twice about their actions. There are those who are just plain crazy, and while they're people too...I can't figure out how they'd be able to fit back into society. People who commit crimes against society don't deserve the same rights...period.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Hire new interns.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Seriously though, we spend way too much on out military, not enough on our soldiers, and not enough on ourselves as a country. Science, infrastructure, economics, they all go hand in hand, invest in these and they all skyrocket.

I agree with this...partly. Military personnel don't deserve to have their benefits cut. However military spending on research and development also goes hand in hand with infrastructure and science, as many of the innovations can be applied to civil uses. I won't disagree that military spending is highly overblown, though. Budgets are ridiculously bloated.

Merkle

Banned
I agree with this...partly. Military personnel don't deserve to have their benefits cut. However military spending on research and development also goes hand in hand with infrastructure and science, as many of the innovations can be applied to civil uses. I won't disagree that military spending is highly overblown, though. Budgets are ridiculously bloated.

Agreed, my statement was a little vague. Let me be specific and cite one example, we have 10 super carriers operating, they each cost billions a year to operate, with no Soviet navy for them to compete with they're necessary. Funding should be cut, or used elsewhere. Regardless of who started them, these campaigns we have going on need to just end, we can't afford them, it's simple mathematics.

Again, you would be amazed at how many products came from the space program, send people to Mars, Ceres, and let's colonize the moon.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Agreed, my statement was a little vague. Let me be specific and cite one example, we have 10 super carriers operating, they each cost billions a year to operate, with no Soviet navy for them to compete with they're necessary. Funding should be cut, or used elsewhere. Regardless of who started them, these campaigns we have going on need to just end, we can't afford them, it's simple mathematics.

True. But it also helps to have the strongest military...because nobody will want to fuck with us. That being said, we don't need to rub it in everyone's face.

On the other hand, our planet is rather small, and we don't exactly have many options in case shit goes south. So who is supposed to make sure that doesn't happen?

Merkle

Banned
True. But it also helps to have the strongest military...because nobody will want to fuck with us. That being said, we don't need to rub it in everyone's face.

On the other hand, our planet is rather small, and we don't exactly have many options in case shit goes south. So who is supposed to make sure that doesn't happen?

If we invest in our science and technology, we will secure our superiority, militarily & economically just as we did after developing nuclear weapons, and computer technology.

I agree with you man, maybe not cut it in 1/2, but be more efficient with the spending, mainly increase benefits to soldiers. You're on the inside, I'm not.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
If we invest in our science and technology, we will secure our superiority, militarily & economically just as we did after developing nuclear weapons, and computer technology.

I agree with you man, maybe not cut it in 1/2, but be more efficient with the spending, mainly increase benefits to soldiers. You're on the inside, I'm not.

Fair enough...if you develop the best weapons, best tech, and have the strongest economy (which would easily accomodate production of military hardware) then you're golden. However it doesn't help to have a weak military, resource wise, and have everything else mothballed...it takes time and money to reactivate units. Plus, when you disband units, you're screwing with peoples' jobs.

Consider this: The Marine Corps was around 208,000 3 years ago. Last I heard, we plan on going down to AT MOST 186,000. There is strong talk of taking us down below 150k.

The problem is, they're cutting people who are working towards retirement. Instead of simply enlisting less fresh bodies and letting natural attrition trim the Corps down to size (because a good portion of enlisted Marines only do their 4-5 year term and get out) they're making it harder and harder for the older, experienced men to stay in. Why? It's cheaper to train and pay 3 unmarried junior enlisted, than it is to keep my 6 year married ass on board. They have empty barracks rooms that costs them very little to maintain. It costs a lot more to pay for someone to live with a family in a house/apartment/whatever.

Sure, you can get by with restructuring a bit, but think about it: you mention 10 aircraft carriers. If we parked 4 of those, with skeleton crews for maintenance and refits, you'd have a lot of people out of a job that can't go anywhere else in the Navy - because they aren't trained to do anything else. Where are you going to transfer a nuclear tech? To a weapons training battalion?

Those experienced individuals will move on to bigger and better things, and won't want to come back if they got reactivated. Not to mention the spots they would leave wherever they're working would be hard to fill...