GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ike, where's it going???

kev24k

Go Kart Champion

This is a monster. I'm in Miami and definitely keeping both of my eyes on this. I'm hoping this guy turns out to sea. This season has been pretty crazy so far.

Last edited:

Monkeykungfu

Go Kart Champion
This is a monster. I'm in Miami and definitely keeping both of my eyes on this. I'm hoping this guy turns out to sea. This season has been pretty crazy so far.

I've been watching this one too.... good luck man, hope it keeps hooking north for your sake... and the rest of Florida's.... :frown:

kev24k

Go Kart Champion
See that orange path on the last image? That one looks good to me. I need it to do that.

Monkeykungfu

Go Kart Champion
Here's a link to the the "Sci Guy," Eric Berger, who has some pretty good insight on hurricanes. (also posted in the Gustav thread I created, he was dead on...)

http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/

He claims 3 possible scenarios:

1. South Florida strike: I spoke with a hurricane scientist I know in Miami yesterday and he was quite concerned about this possibility. The models certainly support this, and the heat potential of the waters near the Bahamas and Florida is quite high enough to support a major hurricane.

2. Re-Curve into the Atlantic: The GFS model has been advertising this solution for a couple of days now. The Bahamas would still likely get hammered, but the mainland United States would be spared. This scenario is most consistent with the climatology outlined below.

3. Northeast U.S. Coast: As bad as a strike on Miami would be, a strike on New York is worse. (How do you evacuate 4 million people from New York?). A major hurricane striking New York remains a low threat, high consequence scenario, even with Ike. But the climatology below suggests its possible, and some models have been hinting at such a scenario.

He also says that he believes Ike moving into the Gulf of Mexico is highly unlikely.

Scharf

I just hope it doesn't hit Illinois.

Monkeykungfu

Go Kart Champion
So Kev24k.... do they evacuate Miamia when a category 4 is making a direct hit? Unless the path changes from what it shows now... it doesn't look good. Might want to start packing.

curiouskyle16

Ready to race!
yea i just get down to florida and a hurricane is coming already. its bullshit, i've been watching it though and my school is ready.

kev24k

Go Kart Champion
So Kev24k.... do they evacuate Miamia when a category 4 is making a direct hit? Unless the path changes from what it shows now... it doesn't look good. Might want to start packing.

The Keys get evacuated and depending on how strong the hurricane is the coast does too. Some other low lying areas will also get evacuated. Where I am I'm not gonna budge. I will just put shutters up on my windows, park my car in the garage, and go stay at my moms house (she has a generator). The only damage I personally would feel from a direct hit from this storm would be roof damage like tiles falling off and/or the fence in my backyard getting blown over. I have no large trees to worry about. Just a few palm trees.Maybe my outside lights by my garage and front door would get pwnd, but thats not much to worry about.

Last edited:

Monkeykungfu

Go Kart Champion
The Keys get evacuated and depending on how strong the hurricane is the coast does too. Some other low lying areas will also get evacuated. Where I am I'm not gonna budge. I will just put shutters up on my windows, park my car in the garage, and go stay at my moms house (she has a generator). The only damage I personally would feel from a direct hit from this storm would be roof damage like tiles falling off and/or the fence in my backyard getting blown over. I have no large trees to worry about. Just a few palm trees.Maybe my outside lights by my garage and front door would get pwnd, but thats not much to worry about.

That's great you have a garage to put the GTI in, I'd be freaked out that a piece of plywood or whatever would go flying into your best girl if she had to stay outside in the rain. :frown:

Man.... Ike's looking like it's just going to hop right on in the Gulf right now. Anwhere from LA to the FL panhandle would be my guess from the computer models. That "smart" SciGuy, Eric Berger, that I posted about earlier, is looking to be quite wrong. At least initially, now he's agreeing with the Gulf of Mexico entry. I posted his statement before "Ike moving into the Gulf of Mexico is highly unlikely." Yeah right.

My brother & buddy just went back to New Orleans Tuesday. When my brother left Tuesday, we were looking at Ike on the radar, but at that point it was still supposed to hook north before FL... I was joking and said "see you next weekend when Ike rolls through." Might not be a joke.

I couldn't imagine how nasty that would be if Ike rolled through Louisiana right now at a cat 3 or more... a lot of my family/friends down there still don't have power. FEMA already dispersed supplies to lots of people down there and are sending efforts for Hanna as well. If New Orleans gets slammed and goes under, it's going to bad. I would guess in worse shape than if Gustav would have just went ahead and sank the city. At least they were really prepared then, they were ready for it for the most part.

I bet a lot less people will evacuate since they just were gone for a week and came back. There's a lot of poor people down there who might have just spend all the money they had on hotel rooms, fast food, gas, travel, etc. to get their families out of town for a week. With Fema spread out and evacuation fatigue, it could be very bad.

Out of everwhere it could go, I hope Ike doesn't go to New Orleans.