GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Indium Gray Metallic Money Pit Mk7.5R

scrllock

Autocross Champion
1689966665420.png

Finally bit the bullet and ordered the protec fuel kit. Saw some initial reviews that were quite positive, claim to have no fuel cuts at 1/8 tank even on e80.

This is their TTRS/RS3 tuner kit. It requires an existing RS3 hat + controller/harness. I already have those, so I didn't see the point in paying $500 extra to EQT (their kit just comes with the harness, controller, and a wholesale aftermarket version of the OEM FWD/AWD 2.0 top hat). And honestly, just against supporting their business model of buying out exclusive distribution. I'd been talking to protec forever about this kit and then then EQT put a second markup on it because "duties" (which I paid, a whole $44).

I should clarify with protec but I assume the regulator feeds the top hat, and then the one in-tank hose feeds the pump, the venturi slides into the hole on top of the bucket. I already have a harness modified to connect the chassis to the top hat, don't think anything would need to be de-pinned.
They said that if I still have any fuel starvation issues to send it back and they'll add the lift pump that comes off the shelf with their FWD brushed kit (also not something EQT sells thankfully).

Also working on a new DQ381 tune with Kalam @ Russell Road & Racing, one of the pros supporting switch patch. Didn't get the 8bp tune to my preferences before Xeus passed, finally had the heart to move on.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
How has Russell Road & Racing been to work with?

I've been slowly looking around for switch patch tuners as I have been struggling to find time to work through tuning myself and am considering a protune for when I go BT

scrllock

Autocross Champion
How has Russell Road & Racing been to work with?

I've been slowly looking around for switch patch tuners as I have been struggling to find time to work through tuning myself and am considering a protune for when I go BT
fine, though we haven't done much, just a couple revisions to the DSG tune. tiptronic driveability is improved now, never had a change to fix the high gear lugging issues on the old tune. going to purchase his ECU tune to get the protec pump tuned for properly soon here.

Re: PDC.

I stumbled upon their website once and that was more than enough for me to never do business with them.
I had only seen positive things about their hoods but PDC would say that all of my issues are because I have a "level 1" hood, which is total BS. I gotta find something fun to do with this thing, because it's not staying on the car long-term.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Been a slow summer so not much progress. Spending nearly what I did on replacing the motor on new knees for my dog -- please buy my parts! Kinda killed the track day budget unfortunately.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/custom-bilstein-ground-control-coilovers.413716/
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/catch-cans-and-more-for-sale.429991/ )

Threw on a used R600 intake, fits like crap (note the hole on the passenger side of the cover):

1693695502831.png

Also swapped in a Mk8 R PCV, w/ tiguan hose/cap:

1693695699218.png

Works great, still need to confirm it's fixed my smoke on throttle. Still working on a new tune with RRR, not much to say there.

Looking forward to ditching the shitty PDC hood, I came across this youtube channel with an interesting GFRP body kit:

Looks like their hood retains the factory-style studs, which is nice: https://shop.strato.de/epages/63238...?ObjectPath=/Shops/63238471/Products/Gol7-109

Probably requires some body work to look good, but with some aftermarket hood vents added, that'll provide the solution I want with a lot less cost. Definitely not interested in lightweight doors, and the roof looks like a ton of effort (and adds a seam that doesn't exist factory, VW roofs don't need help leaking).

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
Threw on a used R600 intake, fits like crap (note the hole on the passenger side of the cover):
It seems like it happens often with this intake.

With mine I barely started the screw on one side. Held up the intake up on the opposite side and was able to get the second screw started just a bit. Alternated small turns from side to side until I was comfortable that they were engaged enough to tighten fully.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
It seems like it happens often with this intake.

With mine I barely started the screw on one side. Held up the intake up on the opposite side and was able to get the second screw started just a bit. Alternated small turns from side to side until I was comfortable that they were engaged enough to tighten fully.
Yeah, I'm surprised, the fit and finish on my other RL products has been quite good. I noticed they seem to have revised that section at least a couple times, some kits have an ear on the top half instead of just the female screw hole in the bottom half. Mine was purchased from a Mk8 owner, but it's the same part, so idk. End of the day, it's probably the only big cold air intake that doesn't add a bunch of hot air or pointless carbon to the engine bay.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
1696169463228.png

Lucked into a cheap ticket for the season closer for my usual group at Grattan. Beautiful foggy morning led into a sunny 76F day, can't beat that.
New stuff I was testing: Kalam's 93 tune, Mk8 R PCV. Actually, it's basically a new car since I last drove Grattan. New motor, turbo, tune, diffs, suspension, brakes. Broke that all in at Gingerman but Grattan feels like it really takes advantage of it.

The good:
Russell tune seemed healthy, with SP set to disable OE ASR completely and ESC sport, ESC only kicked in when it was really necessary. Did a nice 85mph drift in the T9 sweeper while playing with lift-off oversteer. Bumped up to the 26psi map after a couple sessions to try and keep up with folks.
Mk8 PCV seemed to work great. No signs of smoking, nor did I log any excessive KR from oil ingest. Next spring I'll have to put a Gopro on the rear tow hook to make sure.
Very happy with the diffs/suspension, taking every turn with more speed now. Getting out of turn 10 and hitting the dip at 12 doesn't upset the chassis much, and I can hit the same speed on the straight I did with more hp and much worse cornering.

The bad:
Got pulled off for my PDC hood looking like it'd fly off. They pushed on it, saw it's just a warped POS and sent me back out. Later in the day it got so bad that the movement popped the hood strut off the hood and it lodged itself behind my headlight. Throwing that shit out ASAP.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
After the last track day, car went into the shop for a oil pan re-seal and fuel sender re-wiring job (s/o @StorableComa for the harness).

Big issue right now is that the rear Ohlins adjusters are busted, one side goes past 20 clicks in either direction, the other side is pretty stuck. 3DM is way behind so I'm trying Inertia Lab for this rebuild. I'm hoping it was due to noob install on my part, with just 9k miles and 2 track events on them that doesn't bode well for long-term costs.

I threw my old set of DS2500s on and the car is definitely more enjoyable on the road without the constant train noises from the Carbotechs. They didn't have enough life left to sell and my "sponsored" pads haven't been cut yet. Once these rotors/pads are worn out they'll go in the bin. Ferodo is just too pricey for regular use and while the rotors have been ok for me, the cost to refresh the discs isn't worth it. Pedal feel is noticeably worse than the XP10s. I'm also having the TTRS brembos rebuilt with the stock pistons, the vented pistons are nice nice but eat up a decent amount of pad depth, almost 2mm per side given I'm running 2mm thinner rotors and 1 mm thinner pads than the OE TTRS config. Since the calipers are coming off it'll get a full bleed and maybe that will help the pedal feel get back to normal.

dood.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Damn that sucks. Sounds just like an electric lawn mower.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
1698806284893.png
A few small flakes of what looks like bronze or copper. Only had 300 miles on that filter. After it cooled off I felt what seemed like quite a bit of axial play on the compressor.

Turbo #7 will be a Littco L380. I don't think more power is a good idea until this motor is rebuilt, and the cost of a supercore is very reasonable since I can re-use my exhaust housing. If this one blows up then it's getting the cheapest IS38 I can find on marketplace and carvana can deal with it.
I don't think the motor is hurt, but it's getting towed to the shop and more than one oil change with the new turbo. Last one got LM turbo additive, might try Reinz this time: https://www.amazon.com/Reinz-70-41369-00-RNZ-704136900-Moly-Grease/dp/B00N9VMY7Y

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
A lot of folks in the UK swear by Littco, hopefully this proves reliable!