GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Inner headlights on US market GTI (Bi-Xenon equipped) - function and settings

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
related topics - inner headlights with high-beam, DRL disable, Fog lights as DRL, Euro instrument cluster setting

Instruments = EU - euro headlight switch - DRL via Fog Lights - all bulbs original —— hit refresh to re-run animation

The Flash To Pass (FTP) inner halogen lights exist for signaling use when HIDs are off and instant on is required. Headlight signaling is activated by pulling toward you on the 'turn signal' left side multi-function stalk. The FTP stalk position is momentary - let go and the FTP function is extinguished. This facilitates rapid flashing for extra attention. :eyebulge:
If the HIDs are lit, pulling the stalk will simply raise the shutter to high beam position and the inner FTP lights will NOT light.
If HIDs are off, then the FTP lights do the task instead.

Of course, as delivered in the US, with DRL activated and set to use the HID low beam, you really never get to use FTP lights! That is because the HIDs are already on in DRL operation, so the FTP control simply lifts the bi-xenon shutter (no strike required as it is already lit).
-- why?
Striking an arc (HID, Xenon, etc.) requires a quick burst of extra high current to get the arc established. Once struck, it takes a second to stabilize. Striking an arc lamp causes wear, more so than operating hours. Multiple rapid on/off transitions are especially brutal to longevity, the igniter will not charge quickly enough for rapid on/off resulting in failed strikes. Worse the igniter will keep up, overheat, and fail. To minimize lamp strikes when one or more short quick flashes are commanded with HIDs extinguished, VW provides the filament halogen inner FTP lights.
-- how can I see mine?
To see the FTP lights in a DRL enabled car, pull back on the stalk with key on, light switch off and parking brake on (which disables DRL). That has no real world use important enough to warrant their existence :wink: They exist for settings that result in the HIDs being dark. Setting DRL to off -or- setting DRL to fog lights - allows FTP lights to function in the intended manner. :biggrin:
-- disabling DRL
DRL can be disabled with VAG-COM by changing settings in the Vehicle Electrical System Controller J519 (aka Central Electronics Controller). To disable DRL, turn off bit 4 in byte 0. With DRL off the FTP lights will illuminate when you pull the FTP stalk with the headlight switch off.

Vehicle Electrical System Controller J519 — byte 0
To disable DRL turn off bit 4

-- DRL via Fog Lights
If you leave DRL on, you can change DRL to illuminate the fog lights instead of HIDs
and FTP will function key on, headlight switch off.
See second VAG-COM screenshot pic below (byte 17) for this setting.

-- FTP lamps as DRL?
No, VW does not support FTP lamps as DRL. That would eliminate the original signaling purpose if they were already on.

-- FTP lamps with high-beam
A common request is to activate the FTP lamps as additional hi-beams.

FTP w/hi beam will NOT work when the Instrument Cluster Control Module (J285) is coded to country US.
As delivered in the 50 States.
US country setting in Instrument Cluster Control Module J285 overrides
FTP with High-Beam setting in the Vehicle Electrical System Controller J519 (aka Central Electronics Controller).

Changing to EU or UK country coding definitely permits FTP w/High-Beam. Unsure about others.
I personally use EU (Germany), although a lot of people use UK.
Fogs with high-beam, DRL off, or DRL as fog lights work ok with US country setting.
It is just the FTP w/high-beam that is disabled with US country in instrument coding.

A compatible VAG-COM system is required to change instrument cluster country coding.

To enable FTP lights with high-beams changes must be made in two places.
1. Instrument Cluster Control Module (J285)
2. Vehicle Electrical System Controller J519

Instrument Cluster Control Module J285 — 5th digit sets country

Vehicle Electrical System Controller J519 — Byte 17
bit 1 to off to enable FTP with hi-beam (requires non-US instruments country setting),
bit 4 on switches DRL to the fog lights provided DRL is active in byte 0 (above),
bit 5 off permits fogs with hi-beam

Good thing all HID equipped US market cars have hi-line MFD. After setting EU or UK instruments, the odometer and MFD (and Climatronic if equipped) will be set to metric units. MFD lets you set them back to US standard units.

---- side effects of instrument country change
There are other things affected by the non-US instrument setting.
Door open chime operation is changed (no key in ignition chime anymore - I like, ymmv).
Seat belt chime operation is changed (MFD nag screen still there, but no chime until you hit 10 mph without seat belt fastened, and then it chimes forever until belt fastened, no time out).
Single side parking light via turn signal stalk is enabled.
FM RDS display is added to MFD.
Factory Nav (MFD2 DVD, 2006-2008) completely disables nag screen :happyanim:
Factory Nav radio frequency divisions are adjusted, screws with AM pretty bad, FM not so much, sat not at all.
Factory Nav AM and FM presets are lost when the country is changed.
Don't know if there is any effect on Premium 7
Don't know what effects if any to the RNS-500 (2009+ factory Nav)

Country setting changes DRL interaction with a euro headlight switch set to the parking / city light position.
With DRL enabled + euro switch in the city position +
Country = US results in DRL ON
Country = EU results in DRL OFF
------

" I asked 'what time is it?' and you told me how to build a watch! "

LFC RTK

Passed Driver's Ed
Superb write up.

I still put the over/under at 20 hours until the next person asks "What are the inner headlights on my GTI?"

dambbkny

Master Watchbreaker
Car(s)
08 GTI
Just did this a few days back and I am loving my new features. This really needs to be a sticky ASAP!

Raven6t9

Noise Pipe Plugs FTW!!!
Car(s)
~MKV GTI~
Superb write up.

I still put the over/under at 20 hours until the next person asks "What are the inner headlights on my GTI?"
What are the inner headlights on my GTI? lol, I had to.:wink:

So really though, Im only half through reading this write up, but whats the overall accomplishment? Does this let you run the inner headlights AND the HID outer headlights? I know Im not the only person that will be slightly confused when reading the above write up, although it seems very in depth and detailed btw.:thumbup:

Edit: It sounds like this is just to enable the inners with your high beams, am I correct? Is there a wasy to enable them along with your HID's whenever your headlights are on? Basically, whenever your HID's are on, the inners are on too and remain on while you use your HID's for highbeams. Any chance of this?

hughsey82

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI 4dr
My 07 rabbit us spec that i got new in germany didnt have DRL's, And ive got an 09 gti on order, i wonder if ill get DRL's this time around.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
awesome write-up! I highly recommend the vag fix for all 6 lights (FTP, HIDs, and fogs) to be on with high beams. At night it is amazing. Just remember to turn them off for oncoming traffic because you will kill their eyes!

pdxa4

Longtime VW/Audi owner
Car(s)
08 GTi,06 Mazda MX-5
Nice post, and perfect timing for me...Thanks...

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
.... but whats the overall accomplishment? Does this let you run the inner headlights AND the HID outer headlights? I know Im not the only person that will be slightly confused when reading the above write up, although it seems very in depth and detailed btw.:thumbup:

Edit: It sounds like this is just to enable the inners with your high beams, am I correct?...

To summarize,
As delivered, the lights (practically) do nothing.
To make use of them, there are two separate functions you may adjust.

You can adjust the DRL function to either off or switched to fog lights.
This allows the inner lights to function in their originally intended manner.

Independent of that, you can also enable the inner lights to function together with high beams HID lights.

..Is there a wasy to enable them along with your HID's whenever your headlights are on? Basically, whenever your HID's are on, the inners are on too and remain on while you use your HID's for highbeams. Any chance of this?

Nada. The inner lights are alternate high beam headlights used for short duration when HIDs are extinguished.
So no, there is no VW provided provision to light the FTP high-beams with HID low beams - only high beams as intended.

LI_HXC_VR6

xstartxtodayx
Car(s)
04 B6 A4 avant
I have this same set up on my car and love it. One word of warning though, which I found out the hard way... Since this puts the car is a different country code some dealerships may have trouble communicating w/ the car via their computers. I had my car in for a busted pcv valve a couple months ago and after the dealer (Riverhead Bay VW, worst place ever) let the car sit there for a week without touching it they then began accusing me of having a chipped car (it was bone stock under the hood, even now it just has an intake and a pcv revamp). Long story short they couldn't communicate w/ the car b/c it was in a different country code, they had vwoa investigate and after 3 weeks they denied the warranty claim on the pcv b/c they were unable to communicate and check the on board diagnostics... even vwoa said they denied it b/c of my chipped ecu. All of that for a $50 part.

So just a heads up, if you plan on doing this it may be wise to switch back to NA settings for any dealer trips, I know this event has convinced me to finally get my very own vag-com (hopefully next week).

Dredknut

DSG Fart Fanatic
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I wonder if there are any long term effects of running the FTP lights full time as high beams?

I commute at night on a regular basis on country roads, so I had my car vag'd to have the fogs, ftp and xenons all on for highbeams. The commute is about an hour one way, and the FTP lights are on for 95% of that commute. I have been running like this for a few months now, and have had no problems. I can't speak for bulb life however, since I just replaced the stock bulbs with hoen's, but as far as heat generation etc., nothing to speak of so far.

FWIW, the difference between the stock highbeams and the setup I have described above is like night and day, literally lol. Its like artificial sun shining out the front of your car, its awesome :thumbsup:

shutupanddrive

Captain Break S***
Car(s)
PCH roller
Superb write up.

I'll see your FTP thread, and raise you a BOV thread.