GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Insurance Rant

Djmikeyd

Go Kart Champion
So, my parents drive a 2007 Toyota Camry and a 1994 Honda Accord. Cars worth 10,000$ and probably 2,000$. They have a joint insurance plan where they paid around 1500$ a year for full coverage. Today we get a new quote in the mail from the insurance company, 5,600$ in change? LOLWUT? This is the same price my 20 year old friend pays for his Camaro SS that is in his parents name. The quote is half of the value of both cars put together. INSANE much?
Apparently the insurance company was taken over by another, and this is how they treat their customers? Triple the payment? Seems totally legit. Is there no regulation on this type of practice? And later Police wonder why people drive with no insurance. This is just insane.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
go price other insurance, soft market out there for good drivers and low value vehicles like you got. gieco, progressive, and so on...

excelevant

Go Kart Champion
Wow. I would sue for emotional distress

;)

Not really, but that is absolutely asinine

as·i·nine
/ˈasəˌnīn/
Adjective
Extremely stupid or foolish.
Synonyms
foolish

Shini

Go Kart Champion
esurance is da best.

Got a crazy good rate for our 2 vehicles

2012 GTI (new at the time) and a 2010 Ford Escape is ~1400 a year full coverage @ $500 deduc

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
esurance is da best.

Got a crazy good rate for our 2 vehicles

2012 GTI (new at the time) and a 2010 Ford Escape is ~1400 a year full coverage @ $500 deduc

Quoting your car insurance is dumb. There are soooo many variables that go into a premium. You didn't even mention what your limits are. My insurance could be less than 500 a year if I drove around with tue minimum the state allows but I pay nearly double that.

OP, time to find new insurance. Geico and State Farm are usually pretty reasonable. Geico was only about 20 a month more than USAA which were both hundreds less than anyone else in my case.

Butt posted from my Galaxy Note II

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion
Quoting your car insurance is dumb. There are soooo many variables that go into a premium. You didn't even mention what your limits are. My insurance could be less than 500 a year if I drove around with tue minimum the state allows but I pay nearly double that.

OP, time to find new insurance. Geico and State Farm are usually pretty reasonable. Geico was only about 20 a month more than USAA which were both hundreds less than anyone else in my case.

1. QFT!!!

2. USAA is awesome. (I understand not everyone can use USAA though, in which case I would recommend State Farm based on my parents and friends interactions with them)

3. Getting the cheapest rate isn't always the best idea. I have an insurance provider that I know will treat me right and won't dick me around if ever need to rely on them. I get a decent rate, but could probably save a little money by going to another company...it's not worth it to me though.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
That is some jacked-up prices. I would look elsewhere for another company with better rates and same and/or better coverage.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
seems like a good time for this:

i'm with progressive now, i had state farm before than and nationwide before that. i have no problem switching companies when they try to jack up my prices. my parents have a practice of checking new quotes every year to see if they can get better deals out there and they've changed a couple times over the past few years.

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion

This. OP check out Erie as well if you're looking for a new company still, they have great rates and customer service.

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
Gieco pulled the same shit with me so I switched to Allstate. Before that State Farm was jacking me up so I switched to Gieco lol. Allstate has been dropping my premium in my last 2 policies which is pretty cool...... I'm sure at some point Allstate will jack me up and I will switch again.

FNR32

Ready to race!
That sure sounds like a lot of cash for insurance for those cars, but I suspect it has more to do with you guys living on Long Island than the types of cars on the policy. As others have stated I would certainly shop around and see who could provide a better rate and the coverage you all need.

excelevant

Go Kart Champion
Gieco pulled the same shit with me so I switched to Allstate. Before that State Farm was jacking me up so I switched to Gieco lol. Allstate has been dropping my premium in my last 2 policies which is pretty cool...... I'm sure at some point Allstate will jack me up and I will switch again.

Almost makes you wonder who the (hidden) ultimate parent of all these carriers is... doesn't it?

kern417

Go Kart Champion
That sure sounds like a lot of cash for insurance for those cars, but I suspect it has more to do with you guys living on Long Island than the types of cars on the policy. As others have stated I would certainly shop around and see who could provide a better rate and the coverage you all need.

it was the craziest thing but when i moved to ky my rates jacked up across the board. apparently we have one of the highest accident rates in the united states. it doesn't make sense to me because everyone seems to drive 5 under the speed limit.

Shini

Go Kart Champion
Meh, figured it didn't matter, the only thing that made a huge difference in my rates was comprehensive coverage, which I quoted it's deduc, the other stuff is the bare minimum for full coverage under my lease agreement, even if I added optional things the rate would only change ~$10 a month at most.

Anyway, I said all that to basically say esurance is awesome, crazy deal for our cars, and they are fairly new, so for those vehicles OP has, should be a really good deal

Last edited: