GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler performance

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Sweet!!

Have a couple possible buyers for my IE and I haven't even posted it yet. Lol

Besides the pending logs, is there any detriment to using metal (steel?) piping vs the silicon hoses that come with the big name kits?

If the piping isn't a concern and the logs look good, I'll be first in line. :D

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Sweet!!

Besides the pending logs, is there any detriment to using metal (steel?) piping vs the silicon hoses that come with the big name kits?

Any chance at tripping knock sensors with metal piping?

drrck

Go Kart Champion
You're gonna hear more noise with metal charge pipes (not that that's an entirely bad thing).
They surely won't expand but may transmit heat from the engine bay into the charge air (I doubt this will have any measurable effect given the airflow vs ambient heat).

The only downside I see is that you have more potential leak points as you have more mating surfaces vs a silicone pipe.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Sweet!!

Any chance at tripping knock sensors with metal piping?

You're gonna hear more noise with metal charge pipes (not that that's an entirely bad thing).
They surely won't expand but may transmit heat from the engine bay into the charge air (I doubt this will have any measurable effect given the airflow vs ambient heat).

The only downside I see is that you have more potential leak points as you have more mating surfaces vs a silicone pipe.

Zero negative effects with stainless charge pipes, no knock, no noise.

They’re still mounted with 4 ply silicone couplers on both ends and secured with t bolt clamps, not cheap worm gear clamps like others.

There’s zero metal on metal contact at any point.

All charge pipes on everything, but our cars come with aluminum or steel piping. I chose stainless since I don’t have a spool gun to MIG aluminum

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Zero negative effects with stainless charge pipes, no knock, no noise.

They’re still mounted with 4 ply silicone couplers on both ends and secured with t bolt clamps, not cheap worm gear clamps like others.

There’s zero metal on metal contact at any point.

All charge pipes on everything, but our cars come with aluminum or steel piping. I chose stainless since I don’t have a spool gun to MIG aluminum
All the fab work your doing Jake might as well get a tig [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Zx2man

Ready to race!
Update on the mabotech intercooler install ?

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Update on the mabotech intercooler install ?
Working out the kinks now. Fitment is very tight, and requires some patience to get right. I ran a few pulls with the bumper off to test it out, and I'm seeing half as much temp increase from 60-130mph as i was seeing with the CTS.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Zx2man

Ready to race!
Ok thank you Jay. Any differences in lag or throttle response?
Hopefully you get everything buttoned up good

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Ok thank you Jay. Any differences in lag or throttle response?
Hopefully you get everything buttoned up good
Nah, feels the same in terms of responsiveness. The core flows very freely, so even with the added volume it spools quick.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

GTIManEG

Ready to race!
So got my hands on a Mabotech intercooler. This thing is BIG. The core is a solid core, no complaints.
Install is about the same of a twin cooler, the only difference is you have to do some trimming of the hoses to the intercooler depending on what car you are installing it on.
You will have to trim the lower front grill for the bumper cover to fit.
Or just removed the lower grill.
Other than that it's straightforward.

I was able to do a log. Outside temp was 19.5C.
I have a Forge OEM replacement intercooler paired with the Mabotech.

Log 4th gear pull W/M off

Inside core

Outside core

No lower grill installed

After trimming lower grill

I went overkill on the cutting but you really only need to cut on the end of the grill to clear the end tanks.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
So just read all million pages over 4 or 5 days. Great info. Wish I hadn’t though as now I probably need a cooler. Gets hot here in Oz. Was 38C yesterday and it’s autumn.

Anyone know the weights of the various coolers? I track so every kilo counts. I’m stock tune right now on the Clubsport but will tune eventually with a dp. Ironically though I’ll run stock map on the track. Must be factory location too.

I’m thinking based on my needs the Uni seems a best fit or maybe APR which I can get locally (for an arm and a leg). But the price point of the ebay specials is hard to beat.

Thoughts?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
So just read all million pages over 4 or 5 days. Great info. Wish I hadn’t though as now I probably need a cooler. Gets hot here in Oz. Was 38C yesterday and it’s autumn.

Anyone know the weights of the various coolers? I track so every kilo counts. I’m stock tune right now on the Clubsport but will tune eventually with a dp. Ironically though I’ll run stock map on the track. Must be factory location too.

I’m thinking based on my needs the Uni seems a best fit or maybe APR which I can get locally (for an arm and a leg). But the price point of the ebay specials is hard to beat.

Thoughts?

For serious track use I would go with the IE.

It's $$$ but it's the best one out there.

For street use all of them (including the eBay) are a big improvement over stock.

All of them carry a significant weight penalty when compared with the flimsy stock junk.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
For serious track use I would go with the IE.

It's $$$ but it's the best one out there.

For street use all of them (including the eBay) are a big improvement over stock.

All of them carry a significant weight penalty when compared with the flimsy stock junk.

Why do you say IE is the best for track? Personal opinion or proof to back up your claim.