GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy III

hippiesrock03

Go Kart Champion
What's your opinion? I've had my iPhone 4 for 2 and a half years. This is my 3rd iPhone 4, one replaced under warranty (camera issue) and one replaced from water damage (my fault).
I looked up the galaxy S3 and a lot of friends who have it love it.
I also have a MBP, I probably have $50 in apps invested in the iPhone.

Should I stick with Apple? Or try out Android?
I'm gonna head to the AT&T store tomorrow and compare them.
What's your opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlie22911

Ready to race!
I just moved from an iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5. HUGE improvement.

manapuaman

Passed Driver's Ed
I have had most platforms. I still prefer my 3gs over my s3. For me android's lack of GPS, group texting, battery life, web browsing, speed, and the dang charging port that gets loose frustrates me.
I have fixed the browsing part by downloading chrome.

Djunited1

Go Kart Champion
3gs over s3. LOL

Skipdr

Go Kart Champion
I'd prefer the S3 over the iPhone 5, just because of the ability to customize it the way I want. I couldn't live with an iPhone because there is very little customization and I can practically change nothing.

I started with the iPhone 3G. Had three different droids after (Eris, Incredible, Thunderbolt). In the end, none of them could hold a candle to iOS and it wasn't because of features. It was because of sheer usability, stability and compatibility.

To explain the last one, when a new app is made, it's usually made for iOS first because if its greater popularity, and it works on the iPhone. With android, if you we're lucky a new app came out that was compatible with android and you had to be even luckier if it was on your version of the software and compatible with your handset. Oh, and don't worry about the latest greatest version of android when that is released, you just have to wait 6 months to a year for your device manufacturer to get it ready for your device like HTC does. Takes them forever to get a new version ready with sense so while others have the latest and greatest you are stuck waiting unless you have a vanilla phone in which case half the cool features you wanted that were sense based are now missing.

Android is for techs who like to play and the people who think they are being "different" and "edgy". I can't tell you how many people I know that bought a droid simply because it was different and hate it. Mostly chicks who think they are being cool having a droid. In the end, they all come back to the dark side lol.

Being a techie myself, I played with everything droid has to offer. Custom roms and kernels, setcpu profiles, etc. Didn't care about any of it in the end and just wanted something that worked. I LOVE my iPhone 4 and once the wife gets her upgrade ill be selling her 4 to help me get a new 5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SS92

I started with the iPhone 3G. Had three different droids after (Eris, Incredible, Thunderbolt). In the end, none of them could hold a candle to iOS and it wasn't because of features. It was because of sheer usability, stability and compatibility.

To explain the last one, when a new app is made, it's usually made for iOS first because if its greater popularity, and it works on the iPhone. With android, if you we're lucky a new app came out that was compatible with android and you had to be even luckier if it was on your version of the software and compatible with your handset. Oh, and don't worry about the latest greatest version of android when that is released, you just have to wait 6 months to a year for your device manufacturer to get it ready for your device like HTC does. Takes them forever to get a new version ready with sense so while others have the latest and greatest you are stuck waiting unless you have a vanilla phone in which case half the cool features you wanted that were sense based are now missing.

Android is for techs who like to play and the people who think they are being "different" and "edgy". I can't tell you how many people I know that bought a droid simply because it was different and hate it. Mostly chicks who think they are being cool having a droid. In the end, they all come back to the dark side lol.

Being a techie myself, I played with everything droid has to offer. Custom roms and kernels, setcpu profiles, etc. Didn't care about any of it in the end and just wanted something that worked. I LOVE my iPhone 4 and once the wife gets her upgrade ill be selling her 4 to help me get a new 5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jelly bean and ICS very much so holds a candle to iOS. I agree with the updates however, Google has been getting better with this. In most cases its the carrier that blocks or slows down the updates being pushed out. My mom uses android and she loves it, she's nearing the ripe age of 50. I wouldn't say that all android users are "power" users or female hipsters, quite the blanket statement. Androids app store is catching up but it will never be like the fenced in yard Apples app store is, but it still has tons to offer. OP just play with an S3. I came from an iPhone 4 and I love it. Different strokes for different folks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Jelly bean and ICS very much so holds a candle to iOS. I agree with the updates however, Google has been getting better with this. In most cases its the carrier that blocks or slows down the updates being pushed out. My mom uses android and she loves it, she's nearing the ripe age of 50. I wouldn't say that all android users are "power" users or female hipsters, quite the blanket statement. Androids app store is catching up but it will never be like the fenced in yard Apples app store is, but it still has tons to offer. OP just play with an S3. I came from an iPhone 4 and I love it. Different strokes for different folks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Very true and yes it was a blanket statement based on personal observations.

I know quite a few will not agree with what I said and that's cool, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that is what the OP was asking for, opinions. You know what they say about opinions though... ;)

Glad to hear they are getting better about the fragmentation issue and yes you are 100% correct that carriers play an important role in the delays as well. I never got to play with Jelly Bean or ICS on my Thunderbolt. The battery life issues made sure I didn't have that phone long.

That was another one of my issues, battery life, but with the Droid RAZR MAXX, that is pretty much resolved now from what I'm hearing.

I still have time before the 5, maybe I'll check out the Galaxy. I do have interest in WP8 but it's too soon to tell if it will be a viable option yet. I would LOVE to have WP8 phone, Surface, and Windows 8 all playing nicely together but I think we're a year out before it all works the way it's supposed to.

johnnyveelish

Go Kart Champion
innovation and fun factor go with the samsung, if you want something that just works go iphone. the latter reasoning is what i get from some apple fans that i know, "i just want something that works".

I've tried MANY times to give android a shot. Before I bought the new iPad I played with the Galaxy tab and the Prime. Both kept showing significant lag doing normal operations and force closes of the browser when just trying to surf normal sites like gizmodo and CNN. Granted, those were demo devices at Best Buy but still, a little resiliency would go a long way. The demo iPad's worked SO much better.

misaka

Ready to race!
I have an Galaxy S3 and an iPhone 5, one for work, one for play...

Here are my thoughts. The GS3 is almost exactly what you would get from Hyundai. A large list of impressive specs on paper, Good looks, Feels a little cheap and plasticy. Somewhat buggy ( I had to exchange one because samsung and verizon couldn't figure out why it kept crashing and rebooting, second one is much better) Ergonomics are a bit troublesome too, the large screen is very nice to look at, but operating the thing with one hand is impossible unless you have freakishly large thumbs. In terms of speed, ease of use etc and polish, it suffers from Android and the flavor of the month club. Even though jellybean has been out for months, I still don't know when it will be updated. By the time I see the update we'll probably have a SGS3-2 lol.

As for the iphone 5, it feels classy, and at the same time classic. Screen is longer, but still easy to use in one hand, The thing is fast and smooth, OS is always updated, and feels refined. iOS app store is much better also. It feels like people spent alot of time engineering the experience as well as the specs, and it outperforms what the claimed specs are rather than falling short (not unlike the GTI vs Hyundai cars)

The GS3 is definitely hands down the best Android phone out there, and I enjoy the tinkering sometimes, but I like how the iphone works when I need it to.