GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IQ.Light vs. Led Plus with High Beam assist

dremavec

Passed Driver's Ed
I must say I don't really get the hype about the expensive Matrix LEDs (IQ.Light) over LED Plus with High Beam assist. I agree that the tech is brilliant, but I can't really imagine making much of a difference IRL over state of the art LEDs that lower the beam automatically ... Especially considering that they come as standard.

I find it also quite difficult to actually figure out what comes with Matrix or LED Plus, as they both have IQ.Light written on the front lights and the cornering function is sometimes attributed only to Matrix LEDs and sometimes also to LED Plus ones.

Another thing - bundling the dynamic turn signals with Matrix LEDs feels like an upsell trick to me ... They should at least come standard with the Style trim. They have nothing to do with the complex Matrix tech and not having them as standard on upper trims cheapens the car compared to the competition.

I decided not to get the IQ.Light as I believe LED Plus with High Beam should be great, besides, I almost never drive at night out of the city (and I am not about to spend money on fancy turn signals ...).

What do you think on the subject? What is your experience (with either IQ.Light or LED Plus with High Beam assist)? Also, what is the actual situation with the cornering beam on LED Plus? 🙂

MikeMK8

Ready to race!
I also agree with you, although would be nicer if LED plus had the dynamic turn signals. Ordered mine without the Matrix LEDs. As for the cornering beams, it varies from dealers. For example, my dealer includes it in the standard equipment with the Style trim.

Wallop

Go Kart Newbie
I went for the iq lights and I think they are brilliant, I mainly chose them for the fact that they keep the edge of the road lit up enabling you to see deer about to cross.last week I stopped and watched 22 of them cross one by one.If I mainly drove in the city I wouldn't have bothered. I've no idea what the led plus are like in comparison. They also seem to work I've not had anyone flash their lights at me.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I’ll give my two pence worth, even though I’m not a mk8 Golf owner 🙂.

My 2020 Polo GTI+ has no frills LED headlamps as standard and there was no option to upgrade to anything else when I bought my car. I find them very good and they provide good night time visibility; pretty much on a par with the (excellent) xenons I had on my mk6 Golf. I‘m glad my car doesn’t have dynamic turn signals - IMHO they’re gimmicky and don’t add anything to the functionality of indicating prior to making a passing or turning manoeuvre. Would I have paid extra for Matrix LED IQ lights if they had been available when I bought my car? Probably not - ironically they’re now standard on the Polo GTI since the Polo received its mid-life facelift last year.

Car manufacturers are masters at playing the upsell game, doing a good job through advertising and product literature of convincing car buyers that there are certain ‘must have’ options that we can’t live without. It’s in the car manufacture’s best interests to maximise the amount a person spends on their new car, and bundling features together is an effective way to maximise customer spend, especially if one of the items in the bundle is viewed as a ‘must have’ item by the customer (e.g. using ‘must have’ dynamic indicators as a ‘hook’ to get the customer to buy Matrix LED IQ lights). As far as I’m concerned, if an extra cost option genuinely adds to the enjoyment of car ownership and provides worthwhile additional benefit for the extra financial outlay then I‘ll consider it, otherwise, no thanks; I’ll save paying the (often) overpriced cost and make do without!

At the end of the day we’re all individuals and place different priorities on what features and options we feel are important in our cars, which IMHO is a good thing, otherwise life would be boring if we all had the same wants and needs. I wouldn’t pay extra for dynamic indicators though………🤔.

adam2231

Passed Driver's Ed
I didn't order the IQ lights either, but can someone confirm whether all GTI's come with the LED light bar that goes across the car? I love the way it looks and I'm unsure if thats standard or an option that had to be selected

dremavec

Passed Driver's Ed
I didn't order the IQ lights either, but can someone confirm whether all GTI's come with the LED light bar that goes across the car? I love the way it looks and I'm unsure if thats standard or an option that had to be selected
On Polish site under 'standard equipment' it says
"Illuminated radiator grille and illuminated door handle recesses" (autotranslate) is included 🙂

I also agree with you, although would be nicer if LED plus had the dynamic turn signals. Ordered mine without the Matrix LEDs. As for the cornering beams, it varies from dealers. For example, my dealer includes it in the standard equipment with the Style trim.
Thanks, I see the situation with the cornering is really quite confusing.
I went for the iq lights and I think they are brilliant, I mainly chose them for the fact that they keep the edge of the road lit up enabling you to see deer about to cross.last week I stopped and watched 22 of them cross one by one.If I mainly drove in the city I wouldn't have bothered. I've no idea what the led plus are like in comparison. They also seem to work I've not had anyone flash their lights at me.
Worth it for the sight it seems 😄
I’ll give my two pence worth, even though I’m not a mk8 Golf owner 🙂.

My 2020 Polo GTI+ has no frills LED headlamps as standard and there was no option to upgrade to anything else when I bought my car. I find them very good and they provide good night time visibility; pretty much on a par with the (excellent) xenons I had on my mk6 Golf. I‘m glad my car doesn’t have dynamic turn signals - IMHO they’re gimmicky and don’t add anything to the functionality of indicating prior to making a passing or turning manoeuvre. Would I have paid extra for Matrix LED IQ lights if they had been available when I bought my car? Probably not - ironically they’re now standard on the Polo GTI since the Polo received its mid-life facelift last year.

Car manufacturers are masters at playing the upsell game, doing a good job through advertising and product literature of convincing car buyers that there are certain ‘must have’ options that we can’t live without. It’s in the car manufacture’s best interests to maximise the amount a person spends on their new car, and bundling features together is an effective way to maximise customer spend, especially if one of the items in the bundle is viewed as a ‘must have’ item by the customer (e.g. using ‘must have’ dynamic indicators as a ‘hook’ to get the customer to buy Matrix LED IQ lights). As far as I’m concerned, if an extra cost option genuinely adds to the enjoyment of car ownership and provides worthwhile additional benefit for the extra financial outlay then I‘ll consider it, otherwise, no thanks; I’ll save paying the (often) overpriced cost and make do without!

At the end of the day we’re all individuals and place different priorities on what features and options we feel are important in our cars, which IMHO is a good thing, otherwise life would be boring if we all had the same wants and needs. I wouldn’t pay extra for dynamic indicators though………🤔.
It's really hard to figure out what you will miss in a few years when you are buying a car for 5+ years ... For me IQ.Lights, DCC, HUD and remote heating/cooling are amazing, but too expensive for the value they offer ... If any of it it was 100€ - 200€, I wouldn't think twice 🙂

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
I didn’t need to worry about matrix lights, led bar , Discovery Pro, HUD when i ordered my eHybrid … it all came standard with it 🤷‍♂️😂😂

dremavec

Passed Driver's Ed
I didn’t need to worry about matrix lights, led bar , Discovery Pro, HUD when i ordered my eHybrid … it all came standard with it 🤷‍♂️😂😂
Say the dealer gives you 500€ cash for each of those that you give back tomorrow ... Which ones would you keep?