GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jay's 13' Wolfsburg Track Car Build

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
It lives! Finally got some time to work on it yesterday. Replaced the faulty n80 valve...was misfiring like crazy when I first tried starting it. Thought maybe I didn't connect one of the injectors, for giggles I took the apr coil packs out and swapped the oem r8 coils in...low and behold started running fine. The apr coil packs had less than 100 miles on them. Guess my car doesn't like the apr coil packs. Weird. @Arin@APR heard of this before??

Anyways it's running amazing, took it out and gave it the business. So happy

20230806_111544.jpg
20230806_112835.jpg

Attachments

• 20230806_105637.jpg
    20230806_105637.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Excellent news dude! So glad you sorted it out.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I was glad I bought my mk7 APR coilpacks through FCP. QC at MSD or whoever makes them seems lacking. sent that shit back for OEM and no problems since.

jay745

I was glad I bought my mk7 APR coilpacks through FCP. QC at MSD or whoever makes them seems lacking. sent that shit back for OEM and no problems since.
Yeah I'm disappointed for sure. I ordered from urotuning so I don't think they'll do anything. $130 in the trash.

zrickety

The Fixer
Way to go Jay! I personally love the R8 coil packs, but I'm glad you fixed it.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Yeah I'm disappointed for sure. I ordered from urotuning so I don't think they'll do anything. $130 in the trash.

Might at least fire off an email and see. You never get a "yes" to a question you never ask. Heck, might be worth asking APR direct, regardless of where you bought them they are obviously their coils.

I see you got the blue ones too, so there goes my theory that the blue ones are not prone to failure lol

jay745

Might at least fire off an email and see. You never get a "yes" to a question you never ask. Heck, might be worth asking APR direct, regardless of where you bought them they are obviously their coils.

I see you got the blue ones too, so there goes my theory that the blue ones are not prone to failure lol
Eh I doubt it. I purchased them about a year ago now, my car was down for several months, pretty tough to prove to them they have less than 100 miles.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Eh I doubt it. I purchased them about a year ago now, my car was down for several months, pretty tough to prove to them they have less than 100 miles.

Just saying, I didn't prove anything. Sent an email with a picture of the rust and damage on the tube and they overnighted me a new one, took a week cause they were out of stock but that was it.

jay745

Woops forgot to update, so a few weeks ago it wouldn't start again, felt almost like a battery but I swapped the battery from the wife's Jetta in and no dice. The starter feels like it's not fully engaging. Yesterday I pulled the starter, didn't see any damage to the flywheel thankfully. The starter is full of crud so I think it may have been binding on the flywheel when trying to engage it. Sigh this past year has just been one thing after another

zrickety

The Fixer
Woops forgot to update, so a few weeks ago it wouldn't start again, felt almost like a battery but I swapped the battery from the wife's Jetta in and no dice. The starter feels like it's not fully engaging. Yesterday I pulled the starter, didn't see any damage to the flywheel thankfully. The starter is full of crud so I think it may have been binding on the flywheel when trying to engage it. Sigh this past year has just been one thing after another
I rolled the dice on an amazon starter 3 years ago, it was $55 and has actually been great. Similar ones are $75 now.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I rolled the dice on an amazon starter 3 years ago, it was $55 and has actually been great. Similar ones are $75 now.

That's pretty lucky.

Personally my rule is how much of a PITA would it be to do a job twice. And how bad is the disruption if the part fails. Starter isn't bad of a job but if it fails I am stranded somewhere, and no idea where that may be, maybe in a field after midnight being chased by an ax murderer.

No thanks. :D

zrickety

The Fixer
That's pretty lucky.

Personally my rule is how much of a PITA would it be to do a job twice. And how bad is the disruption if the part fails. Starter isn't bad of a job but if it fails I am stranded somewhere, and no idea where that may be, maybe in a field after midnight being chased by an ax murderer.

No thanks. :D
Nice thing about manuals, you can always push start it.
I can't believe Valeo starters are $300 and they go up from there, holy crap.

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion

Attachments

• 569bba0036ad027ee6ca81008ff672cc.jpg
    569bba0036ad027ee6ca81008ff672cc.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 20