GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jeremy Clarkson reviewing MK6 Jetta in 30 seg.

Cooktenstein

Ready to race!
Some people would say it's hard to love hatchbacks. .

I hate hatchbacks normaly, but the GTI is so good for the money that i am able to overlook it. Hahah, I hate that the GLI is getting such shitty reviews because i was hoping that it would be the answer to my problem. Don't get me wrong. I love my car, but if i could get the same build quality and if all things were equal except that one had a trunk, i would choose the trunk hands down. Not for function, for looks.

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
:fighting0030:

Dang some of you have some strong feelings against the GLI. I understand the inherent bias since this is a golf forum, but sheesh some of you are talking about the jetta like it's a disfigured and disowned step-child of a step-mother your dad left your mom for. I won't deny that it's on the lower tier in terms of quality in the VW family, but it's far from "inferior" (I have a friend that owns one and she's let me test drive it too).

I love my mk6 GLI. :D I didn't even test drive the GTI when I was shopping because:

• I knew I wanted a sporty sedan with lots of leg room and a spacious trunk
  • I didn't want to pay nearly 4 grand more for similar features (autobahn trim)
  • Insurance would've been at least $50 more for GTI vs. GLI

These were indeed the deal breakers for me. Now, the golf R on the other hand I would definitely have considered over the GLI.

2.0t_convert

Ready to race!
And I think he said that was the TDI.....didn't he? But he said base model....so, yeah, hard to understand complaining about lack of features.....on a base model. :iono:

Looking at the car in the video then the UK website he has the Sport model with diesel engine option.

I think by features he may mean something about the car he considers noteworthy and exciting. Given sitting a few feet away is a Porsche I suppose he is a bit biased in his expectations.

Last edited:

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
the jetta gli has dual zone climate control, something the GTI doesn't have

wow I didn't realize the GTI lacked this. I actually really love this feature because my gf gets cold so much easier than i do so this comes in really handy under those circumstances.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
wow I didn't realize the GTI lacked this. I actually really love this feature because my gf gets cold so much easier than i do so this comes in really handy under those circumstances.

yea, actually that would come in handy for my fiance too, but too bad i dont have dual zone, she'll just have to close the vent lol...the Golf R does tho

techchallenger

Passed Driver's Ed
Looking at the car in the video then the UK website he has the Sport model with diesel engine option.

I think by features he may mean someone about the car he considers noteworthy and exciting. Given sitting a few feet away is a Porsche I suppose he is a bit biased in his expectations.

J.C. would likely rather drive a Jetta than a Porsche.

2.0t_convert

Ready to race!
J.C. would likely rather drive a Jetta than a Porsche.

You give him too much credit. Someone with 3 wheels and no airbags would be his preferred mode of transport.

But then again he does own one of these:

Bodhi

Go Kart Champion
Meh, the whole Mexico thing bothered me at first, but I have yet to find any quality issues with my Made in Mexico Jetta Wolfsburg Edition.

Kind of funny, wolfsburg edition, but made in Mexico.

StayStetti

Banned
How does a machine operating in Mexico differs from a machine that operates in Germany??

Trust me it just does. Some mk3/4 GTI's were made in mexico, and some were also made in a US factory. There was a whole big deal about the build quality of non-german assembly factories and the US one was closed down because of it.

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Seems Quality Asssurance folks in Mexico are either not as skilled or just don't have as much power to influence the production process.

Sad when there are several Kia products I'd choose over the Jetta.