GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just Clowning Around

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Another dead thread bump.

Got some used Status seats. Bought harnesses. a Studio RSR rear roll cage/harness bar. Heavily considering buying a 2nd engine to rebuild/machine. If anyone has a line on something cheap, I have $.
ive been considering adding a crossbar for race seat belts mounting but have yet to find one that will definitely fit the mk6. in4updates on the cage install.

clownish

just clowning around
I got a Studio RSR 4 point choromoly; wasn't the cheapest option but I liked the appearance, welds, etc. I ordered it in November and it got to my place a few weeks ago, so it wasn't the greatest turnaround time either. Test fitted everything and it looks good. Haven't installed the cage yet because of my seats.

I have Planted seat bases, with Planted sliders and seat brackets. Even though they fit perfectly, I cannot complete mounting without doing some fabrication due to how the seat base is set up. Holes all line up but the bolts are blocked from actually going in. Additionally, I have to heavily modify the OEM seat buckle to make it work - I want to retain that OEM buckle as well as installing harnesses. I am also coding off/resistor tricking the airbags; VAGCCOM on order - after years of borrowing I finally got annoyed and spent that couple hundred on my own 10 vin tool.

So after fabricating the seat bases and also heavily modifying the seat buckles, I'll look at finishing the harnesses and cage install. I have tons of pictures and I am so annoyed that I cannot use Tapatalk anymore. Also cannot figure out how to log in mobilely since my password reset emails aren't going through. Once i figure all this out.... I have pictures. Lots of pictures.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I got a Studio RSR 4 point choromoly; wasn't the cheapest option but I liked the appearance, welds, etc. I ordered it in November and it got to my place a few weeks ago, so it wasn't the greatest turnaround time either. Test fitted everything and it looks good. Haven't installed the cage yet because of my seats.

I have Planted seat bases, with Planted sliders and seat brackets. Even though they fit perfectly, I cannot complete mounting without doing some fabrication due to how the seat base is set up. Holes all line up but the bolts are blocked from actually going in. Additionally, I have to heavily modify the OEM seat buckle to make it work - I want to retain that OEM buckle as well as installing harnesses. I am also coding off/resistor tricking the airbags; VAGCCOM on order - after years of borrowing I finally got annoyed and spent that couple hundred on my own 10 vin tool.

So after fabricating the seat bases and also heavily modifying the seat buckles, I'll look at finishing the harnesses and cage install. I have tons of pictures and I am so annoyed that I cannot use Tapatalk anymore. Also cannot figure out how to log in mobilely since my password reset emails aren't going through. Once i figure all this out.... I have pictures. Lots of pictures.
i did that OEM seltbelt buckle and airbag trickery last year with my Recaro install, also used planted mounts. very fun.

clownish

just clowning around
i did that OEM seltbelt buckle and airbag trickery last year with my Recaro install, also used planted mounts. very fun.
Let me see if I got my head straight.
- 3.3 ohm 1/4 resistors for the airbags; that should just slot in and I'll toss some electrical tape over the whole thing.
- swap the inner corner M10 bolt with a stud and nut so that we can bolt down the Planted seat base with an open wrench instead of messing with short bolts or shallow heads etc. My first thought was to just cut off the corners of the bases - one each passanger/driver side. I might still do that - it'll be free instead of buying a stud.
IMG_2987.jpeg

- use the Planted universal tab on that seat base with the OEM seat buckle by adding a few holes, cutting some stuff of the OEM bracket? It's long enough to fit on the base with some kind of stud or backer plate, but I think it'll be more secure reusing the Planted generic tab they welded on already.
IMG_2986.jpeg

I think I'm forgetting something... oh. The two plugs coming off the OEM buckle are for... airbag/seat occupancy and seat belt buckle chime? I was going to ignore those unless they provide some critical function... I have carbon Status GTX shells with some cushions and really no place to put anything like the bladder and sensors. So I was going to delete it all and see if I could just code the passenger side to always have airbag on.

OEM Seat:
IMG_2957.jpeg

Looking at cheapo windows laptops so I can use my newly acquired vagcom. I've gone so many years borrowing from the shop or friends. So looking @ chromebooks and cheap surfaces or something that I can use as a standalone just for this.

Edit: finally got logged into my phone. It is retarded how you can't use tapatalk anymore.

Test fit the bracket with sliders - all Planted stuff. I got these used from a b5 s4 so sliders and brackets were used, bases were brand new since I can't reuse the s4 specific ones. I have those sitting around till I find someone to buy them.

IMG_2952.jpeg

Seat in without any buckles - wild Christmas lights on dash. Started with passanger to test fit so that the car is still drivable.
IMG_2993.jpeg

Meanwhile, I just continue to burn money on other rides.
IMG_2962.jpeg

IMG_2983.jpeg

Last edited:

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Let me see if I got my head straight.
- 3.3 ohm 1/4 resistors for the airbags; that should just slot in and I'll toss some electrical tape over the whole thing.
- swap the inner corner M10 bolt with a stud and nut so that we can bolt down the Planted seat base with an open wrench instead of messing with short bolts or shallow heads etc
- use the Planted universal tab on that seat base with the OEM seat buckle by adding a few holes, cutting some stuff of the OEM bracket?

I think I'm forgetting something... oh. The two plugs coming off the OEM buckle are for... airbag/seat occupancy and seat belt buckle chime? I was going to ignore those unless they provide some critical function... I have carbon Status GTX shells with some cushions and really no place to put anything like the bladder and sensors. So I was going to delete it all and see if I could just code the passenger side to always have airbag on.

Looking at cheapo windows laptops so I can use my newly acquired vagcom. I've gone so many years borrowing from the shop or friends. So looking @ chromebooks and cheap surfaces or something that I can use as a standalone just for this.

I was in a rush to get it done for a show so i did not use the stud approach but that does make sense. See my post in my build thread: https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/inde...ti-pssmkllr-build.285651/page-13#post-7678275

i mounted the seat belt using the OEM bracket, drilled out the hole to fit a M10 bolt. i got lucky and found a airbag sensor plug from a part-out so i make my own removable sensor. the resistor approach you listed should work but expect to need to replace. i also retained passenger occupancy sensor and integrated that into the seat. the plug for the belt is for the chime only i think, i retained that too since i did not really modify the buckle much.

I have a laptop without a HDD you can have for the cost of shipping. I'd rather it get reused than get recycled.

clownish

just clowning around
I was in a rush to get it done for a show so i did not use the stud approach but that does make sense. See my post in my build thread: https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/inde...ti-pssmkllr-build.285651/page-13#post-7678275

i mounted the seat belt using the OEM bracket, drilled out the hole to fit a M10 bolt. i got lucky and found a airbag sensor plug from a part-out so i make my own removable sensor. the resistor approach you listed should work but expect to need to replace. i also retained passenger occupancy sensor and integrated that into the seat. the plug for the belt is for the chime only i think, i retained that too since i did not really modify the buckle much.

I have a laptop without a HDD you can have for the cost of shipping. I'd rather it get reused than get recycled.
Nice. Just read through it.

That is tempting!! Do you know what the specs are? I was looking at old used Surfaces because they're cheap, run full windows and should support vagcom without much issue.

Did you really need to move the occupancy bladder/did you find a way to vagcom the airbag on all the time? So I am thinking I'll delete the chime sensor; it's already coded off. I should be able to find an extra airbag sensor plug and make a little harness - I do have about 100 of these resistors so I'll start with that and check a junkyard.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Nice. Just read through it.

That is tempting!! Do you know what the specs are? I was looking at old used Surfaces because they're cheap, run full windows and should support vagcom without much issue.

Did you really need to move the occupancy bladder/did you find a way to vagcom the airbag on all the time? So I am thinking I'll delete the chime sensor; it's already coded off. I should be able to find an extra airbag sensor plug and make a little harness - I do have about 100 of these resistors so I'll start with that and check a junkyard.
I can check when I go to lunch for you, will DM.

I didn't want to just code it out in the event the passenger airbag was needed, as much of a pain as it was the assurance that the front airbag would deploy made it worthwhile for me. Coding out the seat airbags is easy enough. I didnt want the seat belt light on and not sure you can code that out like the chime.

Coming out of storage this year I do have a airbag light I need to diagnose but i think i just need to clear the fault and will be fine.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
yeah, just for future reference if anyone needs a simple solution, but planted definitely has a wider option to fit different sized bucket seats
The seat rails and mount I have no issue with either. The Planted stuff works great. It's the seat bases and OEM seat buckle that're causing problems.

edit: ohhh, i see that its all integrated in that one. Got it.

Last edited:

clownish

just clowning around
Ugly, did you try that? It seemed like we might be able to reverse mount the OEM bracket onto the Planted base - I just figured that it would be more secure using the generic tab welded on already and modifying to fit.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Ugly, did you try that? It seemed like we might be able to reverse mount the OEM bracket onto the Planted base - I just figured that it would be more secure using the generic tab welded on already and modifying to fit.
Mine is bolted to the inner rear floor connection, the buckle sits nicely for my recaros.

16504664913575323340356128633742.jpg