GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

just get rid of second muffler??

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I was thinking of going to an exhaust shop and just having them replace the second muffler with just piping and some tips. What do you guys think? All of the aftermarket exhausts I see replace it the same way. I am going to get a down pipe too eventually.

Nurendra

Autocross Champion
That's what I did. However keep in mind that the remaining one in front of the rear axle on the driver's side of the car is gigantic. At some point, I plan on replacing that one with a Borla XR-1.
The muffler that I removed came in somewhere under 30 pounds and the sound is still almost stock.

Kurupt

low
Car(s)
Jeep
does ne1 have under the car pictures... also what if you remove the gigantic one instead of the one on the very end of the exhaust next to the tips?

Nurendra

Autocross Champion
Removing the larger one is fine,
However if you had planned on changing the exhaust tips as well, you're going to run into a lot more labor as the oem rear muffler has individual tips from the muffler; and I'm not sure if those tips can be replaced from a cosmetic point of view.
Which is why I went the other route of replacing the rear one with tips and straight piping, and then later replacing the mid muffler with the Borla XR-1 with a 2.5" I.D and O.D.

Nurendra

Autocross Champion
I purchased the tips on eBay by looking for 2.5 inch inlet diameter dual rolled tips and asking the seller to ensure the width of the outlet tips did not exceed 6 inches. I paid about $50 plus shipping.
The actual labor was about $70 (as I was annoying him about using my level to ensure the tips were perfectly level, and that they did not stick out too much, and not touching the valance, and perfectly centered in the cutout . . . . . ) and because of me being VERY anal, he did not discount as promised :redface:

Nurendra

Autocross Champion
It's more noticeable now. Not too loud on accleration but you notice the change in sound. As the last poster said, it has to be done correctly. Same inner diameter pipe and mandrel bends are a must. Watch out for crush bending, as it changes the inner diameter. Also make sure the exhaust tips have an inlet diameter of 2.5" as well. The majority of them that I see are 2.25" and I refuse to use an reducer adapter.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I'm just going for the whole Techtonics Shebang (cat, downpipe, exhaust) and GIAC X plus chip all at once... after 5K is on the odo.

Rabbit82

Touring Car Newbie
sooo if i took the second muffler off and just kept it straight piped and lefted the mid muffler and then add a aftermarket downpipe would it b enough to upgrade to the apr stage 2 program???

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
I like the idea and thought of it myself. My VW dealer told me any modifications VOIDS all of the warranty. THAT SUCKS!!!!!!

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
And they are lying to you.......

johnny love

don't be an asshat.
tydale3 said:
I like the idea and thought of it myself. My VW dealer told me any modifications VOIDS all of the warranty. THAT SUCKS!!!!!!

Don't believe everything anyone tells you (including online). Ask for their policy in writing and they will likely backpedal.

The best thing to do is educate yourself; Know your rights. Magnussen-Moss Act.

Back on-topic, I'd think any competent muffler shop would be able to replace the resonator with straight pipe for fairly cheap.