GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Key charger

bigevilbeard

Hey all, the centre console on our R-Line has a charger in the cup holder for the key. How can you tell how much charge the key has or when this is going flat? Thanks!

welninski

Hey all, the centre console on our R-Line has a charger in the cup holder for the key. How can you tell how much charge the key has or when this is going flat? Thanks!
It is not a charger. If the fob’s battery is starting to die and it’s range is shrinking, you can still start the vehicle if the fob is placed on that spot.

welninski

Thanks! Should there be an alert the battery is going low on the fob on the dashboard?
no dash warning that I know of. It takes an easily changed and readily available and inexpensive “coin” battery. Maybe $3-5 and lasts a few years.

giovanotti

Passed Driver's Ed
There is warning, written in AID (had it month ago at approx 2 years of Mk8). Buy best CR2032 and replace it in couple of minutes. There are Youtube videos how to do.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
There is warning, written in AID (had it month ago at approx 2 years of Mk8). Buy best CR2032 and replace it in couple of minutes. There are Youtube videos how to do.
I had the key fob battery warning displayed on the AID of my two year old Polo GTI+ (car has keyless entry/keyless start) just over a week ago. I keep a spare CR2032 button battery in the car so I’m prepared. The most difficult part of fitting the new battery was getting it out of its packaging! 🤣.

The original battery had lasted 26 months - IMHO not bad for a car with keyless entry / keyless start. I’ve read of some owners having to fit a new fob battery after around 12 months. In the previous 4VW’s I owned (none had keyless entry / keyless start) I never had to change the fob battery and I owned each of those for 4-5 years.