GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

KIA OPTIMA GDI TURBO

I was looking for my usual veedub pal at work in the "Dent Free Zone" of the remote parking lot :rolleyes: and much to my suprise, instead of rolling up in his usual Rabbit 2.5L MKV, he appears in this electric blue, audiesqe, lexusish looking KIA that has more badges on the back than I have seen on many cars to date.:eek: I am simultaneously horrified and impressed all in the same moment based on initial impact. He hops out with a massive grin and begins to spout off all the standard features of his 27K Optima and its performance capabilities with 274/269lb ft. on its 2.0T platform and better gas mileage than the GTI.

I responded..."well the color is definitely in yo' face and it seems rather big. Is that what you were looking for?". He apparently had plans to buy a MKVI GTI but there was only one at Findlay currently and that was a 4DR DSG TR base with no sunroof. :thumbdown:

Though I tend to be disturbed by cars that "swagger jack", I am curious if anyone would seriously cross shop this car with a GTI like my coworker has done. They seem to be similarily priced but the KIA has significantly more standard options inluding led's headlights and tails, full power seats...ect. It also has a very progressive design even if not orginal. The warranty is remarkable as well. 100K/10YR Just curious.

Amazingly, he seems to think it still is somehow inferior to my MKVI in engineering but seemed to find this an acceptable compromise since one optioned the way he desired was not currently available . :iono:

The power train is 100K/10 year. The vehicle warranty is 60K/5 year.

Kia has been well known to make giant pieces of crap. It wasn't until Hyundai purchased them and started copying other cars like Hyundai does that they actually started looking good.

Look at older Kia Optimas to see how fugly they are. Older Hyundai are just as ugly. Copy everyone else and now they look decent, but are still crap vehicles. My old 2006 Sonata had recall after recall after recall. I'd get a notice at least once every other month. I have a friend who has a Kia Sedona and it fell apart after 3-4 years. The transmissions are REALLY bad. One of the reasons I traded in my Sonata when I did.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2011-03-11-kia-recall-optima_N.htm

http://www.insideline.com/kia/soren...y-feds-for-possible-transmission-failure.html

Does it look nice? Sure, but they just copied from Honda, Toyota, etc. Then you have the Hyundai/Kia history of crappy transmissions. That's sort of why they have that 100K/10 year power train warranty. It's not because they are that reliable. It's because they need that to keep customers. Unfortunately that 100K/10 year does not carry over past the original owner after trade in. Just another sign that they use it to keep current owners.

One thing to keep in mind while the VW is "rated" at 200 it puts down 200 to the wheels. Which means its more like a 220 hp engine, stock.

The kia on the other hand dynos at about 220 while "claiming" 27X

And that car weighs 300-400lbs more.

You think that's bad? Try the new 2012 Hyundai Veloster. Looks great, right? Rated at 138HP? Dynos at 100HP. I test drove one. Probably the slowest car I have ever driven in my life next to a Geo Metro.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
You think that's bad? Try the new 2012 Hyundai Veloster. Looks great, right? Rated at 138HP? Dynos at 100HP. I test drove one. Probably the slowest car I have ever driven in my life next to a Geo Metro.

Yep the veloster is a slow pig. Some ppl do get good MPG from it though.