GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Latest!

LMWT

Go Kart Newbie
Hello all, this is just an update on the ongoing problems I have had with my 2021 MK8 Golf,

Almost three years on - currently waiting to have faulty engine oil level sensor replaced (due tomorrow 15th) during the two month wait front parking sensors stopped working and now out of the blue the "Travel assist is currently unavailable" error has emerged. Last time I had that was in the first year - October 2021 Thought it just might be a once off occurrence but no such luck it's there every day for the past week.
So for the past two months oil level and parking sensor error bongs every time I start the car and now the travel assist bong has joined them. Only a few months last year without any problems and since the last two software updates problems have reemerged, currently on 1941 software version.
Am I correct that after three years of living with false hope that this car will never be right and that the software cannot work with or match with the cars' hardware.
P.S. am expecting to be told tomorrow that there will be another two month wait to fix (if possible) the parking sensor and travel assist errors.

Last edited:

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
IMHO VW have really dropped the ball with the mk8 Golf; maybe the signs were there when the initial launch was delayed due to software issues.

Well over three years after launch, and there are still frequent postings on forums of software / hardware issues; some new and some old, recurring issues that had supposedly been fixed with software updates (the ‘gremlins‘ discussion thread on vwroc.com forum was started in April 2021 and is currently 336 pages long 😮). With all the tech in modern cars, it’s understandable that there will be issues on occasions, but IMHO VW does seem to have had more than it’s fair share; not just with the Golf but also with other MQB-based models that share the same - or have similar - software. It really is a shame as the current Golf is very accomplished dynamically, and offers a rewarding driving experience.

It‘ll be interesting to see if the mk8.5 facelift Golf is;
  • free of software gremlins and glitches
or​
  • if it suffers from many of the issues that have affected - and continue to affect - the mk8.
If I was a gambler, I think I know which of the above two options my money would be on……….🤔

LMWT

Go Kart Newbie
IMHO VW have really dropped the ball with the mk8 Golf; maybe the signs were there when the initial launch was delayed due to software issues.

Well over three years after launch, and there are still frequent postings on forums of software / hardware issues; some new and some old, recurring issues that had supposedly been fixed with software updates (the ‘gremlins‘ discussion thread on vwroc.com forum was started in April 2021 and is currently 336 pages long 😮). With all the tech in modern cars, it’s understandable that there will be issues on occasions, but IMHO VW does seem to have had more than it’s fair share; not just with the Golf but also with other MQB-based models that share the same - or have similar - software. It really is a shame as the current Golf is very accomplished dynamically, and offers a rewarding driving experience.

It‘ll be interesting to see if the mk8.5 facelift Golf is;
  • free of software gremlins and glitches
or​
  • if it suffers from many of the issues that have affected - and continue to affect - the mk8.
If I was a gambler, I think I know which of the above two options my money would be on……….🤔
Thanks SRGTD - after dealer visit update!

Faulty engine oil level sensor replaced.
As I predicted a further two month wait to get the faulty front parking sensor issue fixed.
They also want to fix the Travel assist issue by replacing the steering wheel, there's more on this I left the dealer just at closing time and now discover the Travel assist errors are gone! Will get back to them on that. That issue is very confusing as it happened in 2021 and vanished after a software update then.
On a another previous issue I had with the matrix headlights, they discovered that they were set too low from previous dealer involvement (self leveling wouldn't fix that), they software adjusted these and are fine now.
Finally asked them to reset the next Service info, they did but now it's back to that of a brand new car!!!!

At least I'm still covered by the warranty and am promised an EV for the day, so roll on February - but what a motoring experience I'm having courtesy of VW!

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
To paraphrase a couple of well known motor car advertisements:-
‘Fortunately not everything in life is as unreliable as a VW which explains why the car in front is a Toyota’.