GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

lawyers...or whoever....need arbitration advice

dubbinit2

Drag Racing Champion
okay to make a long story short we moved. 6 boxes with some pretty expensive things went missing. the company was cool about giving back full value for some of the stuff I had receipts on. Some of the really expensive stuff we don't have receipts for. And as far as I know people who buy things usually don't keep receipts for over 2 years for some of the things. So they offered half for most of the stuff and refuse to pay anymore. They said if we were going to dispute that we now have to go to arbitration. Has anybody on the forum went to arbitration? What can I expect? I cannot produce receipts for any of the missing things but they are in fact missing. As the manifest to our load did in fact prove it. there is no dispute about our missing items. But they are wanting to f*** us over because we don't have our receipts for every single item that went missing. In a nutshell, should we go to arbitration? Do you think we will win ? like I said, we have proof that the items are missing but we do not have the receipts showing their value for proof of ownership. What do you guys think please help.

Thanks Obama!

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
I see your in NY...did you use a licsenced mover? Or one of those numbers on the telephone poles or light poles?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
It's hard to say. I would imagine the arbitration is "binding", which means whatever is decided goes/sticks, and that's it.

I'd probably try to find a lawyer to quickly look over the documentation/agreement to see what's what.

That said, I agree on receipts hard to find/keep after 2 years, but can you provide advertisements or online listings, etc, to show comparable items and their values, compared to what is now missing?

Now, it is not abnormal for you to be offered a settlement that includes deductions for depreciation, but it depends on the item and how old they were/are, so 50% may seem a bit much for items that are only 2 years old.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
If the items are worth at least a couple of thousand dollars, then it would be worth it financially to get a lawyer yes. I would think that they (the mover) should carry insurance against that type of loss, if they are reputable/licensed/accredited....as it would be a pretty common thing (stuff breaks or goes missing).

What do you think happened? They sold your stuff on a streetcorner?

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Cherry picked

Happened to my parents. I was young so I didn't know much about the incident, but I knew it was a pain for them. The item was a piano - we found it at one of the mover's church. Classy.

OP, it sounds like they have some predefined lines drawn. Especially since they're talking about arbitration. I haven't used a moving company myself, but did you sign anything before using them? Read through the contract carefully. If anything it'll save you some cash when you call a lawyer.

butchered by autocorrecr

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
What $ value we talking about here?