GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LIGHTWEIGHT Wheels

Dark Anghell1

Ready to race!
Deciding if I want to run my old wheels or just sell them:

Team Dynamics 1.2 18x8 +45 with probably 235 or 245 tires. Right now they are powder coated sparkling silver...but tempted to redo them in satin titanium for a darker theme on this car (my old MK6 was united gray).

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
Deciding if I want to run my old wheels or just sell them:

Team Dynamics 1.2 18x8 +45 with probably 235 or 245 tires. Right now they are powder coated sparkling silver...but tempted to redo them in satin titanium for a darker theme on this car (my old MK6 was united gray).

these look great, even without the tire lol. may pick up a set in 17x7.5 if it'll clear the PP brakes

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
What is the USDM-OEM 18" wheel's offset?

MikeNickles

Ready to race!
I was going to get some VMR wheels but Neuspeed RSe10 wheels keep calling my name! I can't decide. I love the fact that they are only around 20lbs. Will most likely be getting the bronze wheels.

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
I think 17" wheels look quite odd on the Mk7. The car is just too big to pull that off. The 18's ride very well in my opinion too so I see no need to go to a smaller wheel.

A lighter wheel, however, makes a lot of sense. I did that on my Mk6 and it really transformed the car going from 30 lb wheels to 19.5 lbs.

The Austins on the Mk7 however are supposedly 25 lbs which isn't really that heavy.

aussietanker

can i ask you guys .. how do 18" wheels compare to 19" ... what is the practical difference between the two sizes? ...

and when you say that the vw stock wheels are heavy, do you mean the wheels that come with the models like the "R" or the "GTI"?

i am wanting to change my boring "plastic hubcaps' for something nicer (white 2014/15 Golf 90TSI auto base model)

I want to do a "black and white" theme on my car and am think of either the Cadiz shown here > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygPkLDMPtI8

or these - don't know their name sorry :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m16SKO3lqyo

any thoughts?

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
can i ask you guys .. how do 18" wheels compare to 19" ... what is the practical difference between the two sizes? ...

and when you say that the vw stock wheels are heavy, do you mean the wheels that come with the models like the "R" or the "GTI"?

i am wanting to change my boring "plastic hubcaps' for something nicer (white 2014/15 Golf 90TSI auto base model)

I want to do a "black and white" theme on my car and am think of either the Cadiz shown here > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygPkLDMPtI8

or these - don't know their name sorry :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m16SKO3lqyo

any thoughts?

Youll lose some ride comfort due to running thinner tires, but if you get 235 sidewalls, the ride quality will be identical compared to 18"s, 18's ride quality are not greater than 16 inches for sure, it depends on tires that provides comfort (ie absorbing bumps and imperfections)

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
The R's optional 19" Pretoria wheel isn't that heavy. It's the lightest fatctory 19" wheel
I know. Contrarily, the GTI's optional 19" wheel is one of the heaviest.

Generally you'll notice the difference if compared directly. The bigger and heavier
wheel will feel stiffer, particularly on poor roads and when the tires are worn. Steering
is different as well, the car feels heavier on both cornering and acceleration.

I had 8x19 w/ 225/35 Conti SC3 on my Mk.V GTI and I'll definitely never run 19" again.
17" or 18" for me.

Ruyleo

The R's optional 19" Pretoria wheel isn't that heavy. It's the lightest fatctory 19" wheel
I know. Contrarily, the GTI's optional 19" wheel is one of the heaviest.

Generally you'll notice the difference if compared directly. The bigger and heavier
wheel will feel stiffer, particularly on poor roads and when the tires are worn. Steering
is different as well, the car feels heavier on both cornering and acceleration.

I had 8x19 w/ 225/35 Conti SC3 on my Mk.V GTI and I'll definitely never run 19" again.
17" or 18" for me.

Great info & feedback. Thanks!