GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Long Term Spark Plug Thoughts

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Well, that doesn't say "EQT" on it. So it won't make your car idle smoother, reduce knock, and increase throttle response.
And none of that will happen without the red APR coils to fire those spark plugs up. 😂

tigeo

Autocross Champion

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Ruths with IS38 and track use.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Just dropped in another set of Ruths last week just because. Had maybe 10k on them? Looked great. My car mostly sees city driving, but there are some hard abuse sessions in there were "a lot" of boost, and with ethanol. No issues.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
I have a "question" on spark plugs. I am running EQT stage 1 and I switched over to the RS7 plugs a few months ago, but I was wondering if it may make more sense for me to go back to the stock plugs gapped at .024, since the vast majority of my driving is in town, short, and quite a bit of stop and go. I was thinking the warmer plugs may be beneficial in my case.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have a "question" on spark plugs. I am running EQT stage 1 and I switched over to the RS7 plugs a few months ago, but I was wondering if it may make more sense for me to go back to the stock plugs gapped at .024, since the vast majority of my driving is in town, short, and quite a bit of stop and go. I was thinking the warmer plugs may be beneficial in my case.
I wouldn't bother. Just change them at your regular interval and then switch back to stock. The ambient temperature have nothing to do with the heat range of spark plugs. It's how hot the plug is running when the engine is running. An example is when you're racing the colder plug is desirable because it can shed heat better than a warmer plug. And that is also why I'm against running colder plugs on street driven cars that don't generate that heat in the plugs.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S

starsmith

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Urano Grey GTI
pretty plausible there is a considerable overlap in the venn diagram of "people running RS7 plugs" and "people screwing around with their motor for the first time without proper tools and knowledge", so I'm not ruling out user error as an explanation for the higher failure rate. the most recent guy with a broken plug on facebook admitted he didn't torque to spec for example.

Reactions: q74

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Fwiw, I've run the ngk rs7 plug, a brisk 1 step down plug, an ngk racing one step down plug, and the stock plugs with a stage 2 is20 unitronic tune. My car has been stage 2 since I bought it with 14k miles and now it's at 48k. I cannot stress enough how rough I am on this car with the majority of the miles I put on being track miles and the rest of them being <10 min drives where oil barely gets to temp during summer, and never gets to temp during winter. I really don't care to baby it until warm... It has an ecu with mapped tables for the "driver stoopid" to keep from blowing things and it has certainly cut power and Rev on me when I floor it while cold.

On the street all the plugs were fine. On track, it was a horse of another color. The rs7 plugs pulled timing and threw codes for high rpm misfires (usually around the 5200-5500rpm range). The ngk racing plugs were fine, but they were very worn looking after one winter of driving with the insulating medium basically turning burnt black. They lasted 4k miles before their wear level on visual inspection was unacceptable and I started getting low rpm misfires. The brisk plugs seemed fine after 6k miles, but I pulled them during an oil change and just went back to stock because I couldn't find the brisk size locally that day and the dealer sells the oe plug for 8$/ea.