GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Long Term Spark Plug Thoughts

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
NThe EQT facebook page is amazing. Now it's full of people posting about running out and spending $160 on spark plugs for their stage 1/2 cars :ROFLMAO:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
NThe EQT facebook page is amazing. Now it's full of people posting about running out and spending $160 on spark plugs for their stage 1/2 cars :ROFLMAO:
muh KR bRO

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Racing plugs sold out everywhere by the EOD. Book it.

EQT made a business decision. Too many shit posts on their FB page… now they can just say “well we don’t recommend the 91006 anyway.”

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Racing plugs sold out everywhere by the EOD. Book it.

EQT made a business decision. Too many shit posts on their FB page… now they can just say “well we don’t recommend the 91006 anyway.”
And the funny thing is, those racing plugs are gapped at....0.028" and you aren't supposed to mess with it but folks will anyway.

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
It seems easy to hand wave this stuff away as user error, but I get why EQT did what they did. We don't know why that grounding strap is breaking off, but if it takes your whole engine with it and there's enough cases of it happening, better to just recommend the nuclear option and ensure it doesn't happen.

I'm EQT Stg 1 and was going to get the RS7 plugs, but I'll probably try the Ruths gapped to .024". People are really finding you don't need a one step colder plug?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
It seems easy to hand wave this stuff away as user error, but I get why EQT did what they did. We don't know why that grounding strap is breaking off, but if it takes your whole engine with it and there's enough cases of it happening, better to just recommend the nuclear option and ensure it doesn't happen.

I'm EQT Stg 1 and was going to get the RS7 plugs, but I'll probably try the Ruths gapped to .024". People are really finding you don't need a one step colder plug?

Depends what you're doing. If you're on 1/4 mile strip doing back to back 1/4 mile runs, get colder plugs. If you're on road course ringing out 3rd and 4th again and again, get colder plugs. If you're doing a single pull on the highway, not really needed. If you're doing mountain driving where you're going up and down the rev range and not at full boost all the time, maybe don't need colder either.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

Will also depend on the tune.

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Depends what you're doing. If you're on 1/4 mile strip doing back to back 1/4 mile runs, get colder plugs. If you're on road course ringing out 3rd and 4th again and again, get colder plugs. If you're doing a single pull on the highway, not really needed. If you're doing mountain driving where you're going up and down the rev range and not at full boost all the time, maybe don't need colder either.
Thanks! Mmm.... Basically it seems to depend on how much sustained heat you're going to be generating within the cylinder.

My car is mostly daily driven, but will get driven harder on backroads 6-8 times a year and, hopefully soon, once or twice per year at the track. Maybe I'm better off getting the NGK RS7 plugs and gapping them correctly. I have the gapping tool.

Last edited: