GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Long Term Spark Plug Thoughts

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So most of my driving is short trips in town. It is stop and go but never a traffic jam and I never push the car hard with the occasional spirited drive on the weekend. I’m probably not seeing any benefit by running the RS7 plugs am Ip
Not seeing any benefit from the RS7 plugs but you're not doing your engine any favors by not getting it up to operating temperature to burn off the condensation.

FarSolar

Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
So I've been running EQT stage 1 for a few weeks now on stock plugs and haven't seen any KR on the AP during WOT so far. I'll try doing some proper logging this weekend. Most of my driving is just around town / commuting with the occasional on-ramp pull and some spirited mountain driving. I have the NGK 91006 plugs ready to install but is there a reason to do so if I'm not getting knock? Thinking about just keeping the oem plugs and regapping them after all the drama recently.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
So I've been running EQT stage 1 for a few weeks now on stock plugs and haven't seen any KR on the AP during WOT so far. I'll try doing some proper logging this weekend. Most of my driving is just around town / commuting with the occasional on-ramp pull and some spirited mountain driving. I have the NGK 91006 plugs ready to install but is there a reason to do so if I'm not getting knock? Thinking about just keeping the oem plugs and regapping them after all the drama recently.
I don't believe your plugs have much to do with KR anyway...that's really a fuel quality issue.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
. Not really sure why EQT likes to specify brisks “should be a last resort”
agreed. Loads of people running big power (built Motor + full frames) on the Big Turbo MQB FB page running ER10S or even ER8S. I think Iroz recommends/uses them in their big RS3/TTRS builds as well. I already caved to EQTs recommendation of doing the solid gold $$ R7437-9s when I did my Vortex install 1.5yrs ago. Was planning to go ER10S at the time.
FCP (who i bought the NGKs through for the lifetime thing) was out of stock a couple months back, so I swapped to ER10S 1.5k miles ago cause was getting misfires on the NGKs.
I'm not changing to these other recommended non-projected plugs at this point. I just bumped up to MPI yesterday as well, so I'll be adding more power in short order. I'll just change out the Brisks frequently with how cheap they are

scrllock

Autocross Champion
agreed. Loads of people running big power (built Motor + full frames) on the Big Turbo MQB FB page running ER10S or even ER8S. I think Iroz recommends/uses them in their big RS3/TTRS builds as well. I already caved to EQTs recommendation of doing the solid gold $$ R7437-9s when I did my Vortex install 1.5yrs ago. Was planning to go ER10S at the time.
I give it a month before EQT is selling pre-gapped plugs in whatever the spec-of-the-month is. I'm in the same boat as you, and so I just keep another set of NGKs on hand in case FCP happens to be out of stock next time I need them. If it weren't for FCP I would just buy Denso IKH24/27 because they're cheap AF and you don't have to worry about finding stock. They're colder, projected-tip iridium plugs, there aren't drastic differences between them.
Some of the best advice I've been given is that 99% of people don't need anything more than OE, and if you do, run colder until they seem to foul early then back off a step.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Yeah, this is true. If you're not getting the oil past 186 (for several minutes) or 212 (briefer) , it warrants more frequent oil changes.
I have been doing them every 3,500 - 4,000 miles

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
1641784473310.png

What did they think was going to happen? They've been saying one thing over and over again on their page any time spark plugs come up, then they did a complete 180* of that with the blog post. Of course it was going to cause mass panic.

audio vicious

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport DSG
Glad I popped in to see this thread active again. I'm stage 2 EQT. I work from home so there might be a week the car doesn't move, and a lot of time when I do drive lately it's not been driven overly aggressively. I've got a pair of these sitting around for awhile: rs7 sparkplugs that I was about to swap in. I've run a set for the past 15k~ miles. Should I reconsider for a different pair of plugs?

I've had those for awhile, looks like they went up even more, I think I paid a whole -$30 for them.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Glad I popped in to see this thread active again. I'm stage 2 EQT. I work from home so there might be a week the car doesn't move, and a lot of time when I do drive lately it's not been driven overly aggressively. I've got a pair of these sitting around for awhile: rs7 sparkplugs that I was about to swap in. I've run a set for the past 15k~ miles. Should I reconsider for a different pair of plugs?

I've had those for awhile, looks like they went up even more, I think I paid a whole -$30 for them.
If you know they work well on your car I wouldn't change for something else, especially if you've already paid for another set.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
View attachment 235225

What did they think was going to happen? They've been saying one thing over and over again on their page any time spark plugs come up, then they did a complete 180* of that with the blog post. Of course it was going to cause mass panic.
That group used to be my morning coffee reading entertainment.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Still see Ruths for $9 ea on Rock Auto.....

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
EQT's latest spark plug post on FB: "You know what, fuck it. Use whatever you want."