GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Longer drives GTI is jerking/jolting

h2001

I think it would be a good idea to get a vagcom. Thinking about it now, loss of power is definitely not a dsg issue. It could be as easy as spark plugs. I would invest in a vagcom and take a look at the spark plugs. Some pictures perhaps? Good luck man!
Getting it scanned with a vagcom tomorrow! Thanks man, will let you know how it goes

h2001

I think it would be a good idea to get a vagcom. Thinking about it now, loss of power is definitely not a dsg issue. It could be as easy as spark plugs. I would invest in a vagcom and take a look at the spark plugs. Some pictures perhaps? Good luck man!
Just got it scanned with a vagcom, still only showing the one fault with the fuel train. Could it possibly be something with the fuel pump/filter when it gets too hot?

Attachments

• Log.txt
    10.1 KB · Views: 91

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Did you buy the car from VW? Not that it matters. Warranty is warranty.
I would make an appointment for the VW tech to scan. Drive the car 1-2 hrs before the appointment... get it hot til it starts doing what you've been experiencing. Take it to the appointment... once you check in ask the service advisor or tech to drive with you immediately so car doesn't have chance to cool down. Even make sure you suggest that when you make the appointment.

There's a lot of knowledge in the guys that posted. Listen patiently to what they're saying.
I recognize paying for a new to you and not being able to drive it the way you want is frustrating however you don't wanna chase ghosts or cause more damage.

Make sure you also call VW and get your name VIN on file and tell them what dealership you're taking it to. Keep a record of WHO you speak to @ VW and follow up.
Don't let them blow you off. Research everything so when they start spewing their crap that they've check this and that you have some understanding of that the eff they're talking about and challenge any assumptions they make that it's in your head. Don't let them do service on your car, make them repair it if you know what I mean. They make their $ on service... Warranty repairs are paid by VW though.

Good luck!

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I have had issues like that in the past on other cars. If the fuel filter hasn't been changed I'd try putting a new one on. It's not a hard job & the filter doesn't cost a lot.

I suggest the next used car you buy to get a pre-purchase inspection. It's money well spent.

Good luck I hope you can sort this out.

jtmu6982

Passed Driver's Ed
I actually had issues similar to this a while back with my MK6 GTI. Mine turned out to be a pinched wire (couldn't tell you what the wire was going to or responsible for exactly) underneath the intake manifold. In changing out the intake manifold for a new one, one of the techs apparently pinched a wire between where the intake manifold mounted to the housing and tightened that sucker down pinching the wire(s). Simple mistake but it caused a lot of stuttering and shaking when driving the car. Long shot I know, but if someone had put a new one on there recently (perhaps before you purchased it) they could have done this. The tech that found my problem said he has seen more than a few with that exact same issue. Apparently, its common to pinch that stuff.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Hey... pull the plastic cover off the engine. Look straight down... is the hose to the pcv securely on?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Well OP don't take for granted other peoples work on your car. I am referring to comments like...

'Service history shows spark plugs were replaced 4k kms ago so I highly doubt they're cooked already"

Always check it yourself. Especially something so simple that can tell you so much just by pulling plugs, looking at color, checking /adjusting gap, and looking for cracks in the ceramic tip and then making sure they are properly torqued back down. I bring this up because I had a friend with a BMW Z3 and he described his issue and I asked him to check his plugs. He said he had new plugs in it, however after doing as I asked he discovered that 2 of them were loose.

The Ross-Tech cable and its software is not just for error codes. it is a very strong diagnostic tool that will allow you to log what is going on during one of those runs where things are not running right. You can easily monitor and record a run to see if it is a fuel problem, and ignition problem or a boost problem etc.

Without this tool you are relegated to asking people what they think and if they have had issues with similar symptoms. This is not the way to go about it because more than one issue can create similar symptoms. Get the cable and you will be able to determine for yourself just what the issue(s) are causing your problem.