GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LUK throwout bearing with Sachs performance clutch kit?

Bobroham

Maybe I need to clarify. I ordered the sachs performance clutch and pp. I just wanted to know if it is safe to use luk TOB instead of the recommended sachs TOB.

Bobroham

Thanks that's what I assumed. The retailer I purchased the sachs clutch kit from said the Luk is "half plastic, half metal" while the Sachs is "all metal". I assumed he was BS'ing trying to sell me his part.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Thanks that's what I assumed. The retailer I purchased the sachs clutch kit from said the Luk is "half plastic, half metal" while the Sachs is "all metal". I assumed he was BS'ing trying to sell me his part.
All The proper mk7 clutch throw out bearing are half plastic/half metal, regardless of being the Sachs direct, Sachs oem part number.
The mk5/6 TOB is all metal and does “fit” the mk7.

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R
I know this thread is 2 years old, but I keep coming across misinformation on this specific topic.

If one is buying the Sachs SRE clutch then the throw out bearing that Sachs recommends is theirs with part number 3182 654 150 (all metal and no shim). It is the appropriate part for the new pressure plate. It is also the same as the all metal OEM, with part number 0A5 141 671 P.

FCP Euro sells the Sachs SRE kit but doesn't direct you as to which TOB to choose. I mistakenly bought the Sachs TOB they sell (part number 3182 600 241 — all plastic with a shim) and it's been giving me issues in my new kit.

FCP Euro sells the OEM TOB (all metal, no shim) I mentioned above and a LuK TOB (all plastic with a shim) as well.

I’m changing the TOB out later this week ($$$) to the correct part that I mentioned above.

Took me weeks of research, talking to other members on this forum/on the Facebook groups and speaking with Sachs/FCP Euro directly. Hopefully someone searching in the future won't have as much difficulty as I did/waste money.

Also I hope FCP Euro can be more directive in this department.

Last edited:

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
^^I checked a few websites, and it seems most don't even list that part # or only list it for the mk5/6. Other aftermarket clutch brands offer either the LuK or Sachs TOB, both with plastic parts.

The only websites I see including that specific TOB with the kit are from the UK (one says "Now including kit specific" TOB, as if they were previously selling the kit with the plastic part). On Sach's own website, they do not sell the clutch kit with the TOB, however, that is the TOB that is available separately.

Mine was installed with the bearing FCP provided. I guess I'll just have to see what happens. It wasn't fun when the OEM one failed.

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R
^^I checked a few websites, and it seems most don't even list that part # or only list it for the mk5/6. Other aftermarket clutch brands offer either the LuK or Sachs TOB, both with plastic parts.

The only websites I see including that specific TOB with the kit are from the UK (one says "Now including kit specific" TOB, as if they were previously selling the kit with the plastic part). On Sach's own website, they do not sell the clutch kit with the TOB, however, that is the TOB that is available separately.

Mine was installed with the bearing FCP provided. I guess I'll just have to see what happens. It wasn't fun when the OEM one failed.
Isn’t it confusing? I assume you have a GTI if FCP Euro provided the TOB in the kit. For whatever reason they provide the TOB within the Sachs SRE kit for the GTI but not within the Sachs SRE kit for the Golf R.

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
Isn’t it confusing? I assume you have a GTI if FCP Euro provided the TOB in the kit. For whatever reason they provide the TOB within the Sachs SRE kit for the GTI but not within the Sachs SRE kit for the Golf R.
It is. It seems most American websites list is as being for anything from Mk4s to Mk6 and some Audi and Passat models. The only sites that I see it as being listed for a Mk7 GTI are all European.

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R
I know this thread is 2 years old, but I keep coming across misinformation on this specific topic.

If one is buying the Sachs SRE clutch then the throw out bearing that Sachs recommends is theirs with part number 3182 654 150 (all metal and no shim). It is the appropriate part for the new pressure plate. It is also the same as the all metal OEM, with part number 0A5 141 671 P.

FCP Euro sells the Sachs SRE kit but doesn't direct you as to which TOB to choose. I mistakenly bought the Sachs TOB they sell (part number 3182 600 241 — all plastic with a shim) and it's been giving me issues in my new kit.

FCP Euro sells the OEM TOB (all metal, no shim) I mentioned above and a LuK TOB (all plastic with a shim) as well.

I’m changing the TOB out later this week ($$$) to the correct part that I mentioned above.

Took me weeks of research, talking to other members on this forum/on the Facebook groups and speaking with Sachs/FCP Euro directly. Hopefully someone searching in the future won't have as much difficulty as I did/waste money.

Also I hope FCP Euro can be more directive in this department.

Just to update this since someone asked me about it recently on VW Vortex. I haven’t had any issues over the past 1.5 years since switching to the recommended all metal throw out bearing.