GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MAGIC/MAJESTY (eBay) 16.4 liter Intercooler

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
I don't think I can justify almost $600 for a bar and plate FMIC when I can get a tube and fun direct fit for $460. In my case it's either gonna be the Majesty tube and fin or ebay Twintercooler.

Looks great! I do like the look of the intercooler through the grill, but I also suppose if I sell the car the direct fit would be better so people don't think I modded the car (usually has a negative connotation).

It definitely is tempting. I'm gonna have to sleep on this one and research till my eyes bleed.

How much easier is the Twintercooler install over the direct fit seeing as you have to take the bumper off regardless?
My Gplus Fmic was 2 holes in the radiator mount bracket, remove old hoses, install new, profit.

And bend a couple things that contact the piping.

Very easy

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I gotta say, I am quite tempted to get the 90mm thick intercooler. I dont really have a problem taking apart the from bumper for installing the Majesty unit, but if its a case of diminishing returns why bother. I gotta find some logs/data to justify which one to go with.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I gotta say, I am quite tempted to get the 90mm thick intercooler. I dont really have a problem taking apart the from bumper for installing the Majesty unit, but if its a case of diminishing returns why bother. I gotta find some logs/data to justify which one to go with.

The bi-cooler kept iat's reasonable enough with a Vortex on my GTI. Digging through my logs, it's hard to find one that shows it effectively because 1) This was already into the colder months, and 2) I was doing my logging at night, where it's already inherently cooler. This is the best example I could find:

https://datazap.me/u/acadia18/eqt-v105-3rd-gear-pull-log-1-111621?log=0&data=6-8-14-19

It was a 50° night, and IATs were nearing 40° over ambient at the start. I'd do multiple pulls, so engine was plenty hot. The bi-cooler brought it back down to about 15° over ambient before it slowly started to climb back up again.

I didn't really log the R that much, so I don't have any logs showing the stock location replacement unfortunately.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Based off the website @zwalk linked, it seems the bi-coolers do pretty damn well, no? The bi-cooler setups also seem to have pretty decent flow rates. I know nothing about anything, but based on the data it seems the bi-coolers do a good job when compared to the stock location, no?

1688755513788.png

1688755606419.png

The bi-cooler kept iat's reasonable enough with a Vortex on my GTI. Digging through my logs, it's hard to find one that shows it effectively because 1) This was already into the colder months, and 2) I was doing my logging at night, where it's already inherently cooler. This is the best example I could find:

https://datazap.me/u/acadia18/eqt-v105-3rd-gear-pull-log-1-111621?log=0&data=6-8-14-19

It was a 50° night, and IATs were nearing 40° over ambient at the start. I'd do multiple pulls, so engine was plenty hot. The bi-cooler brought it back down to about 15° over ambient before it slowly started to climb back up again.

I didn't really log the R that much, so I don't have any logs showing the stock location replacement unfortunately.
From my reading, it seems the 16.4L Majesty/Magic intercoolers bring the IATs down to single digits above ambient, but I also have no idea how high above ambient the stock setup runs so maybe 15 above is good. I have more to learn.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
I think the general consensus is literally anything is a big improvement over stock if you are tuned. I just went with the twintercooler because they are easy to install and cheap. I had one on my mk5 as I so I knew they worked well already. Im not planning on tracking the car or anything I have a stock turbo stage 2 car I just mess around with on the streets occasionally.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
I think the general consensus is literally anything is a big improvement over stock if you are tuned. I just went with the twintercooler because they are easy to install and cheap. I had one on my mk5 as I so I knew they worked well already. Im not planning on tracking the car or anything I have a stock turbo stage 2 car I just mess around with on the streets occasionally.
This exactly.

The nice part is in most cases none are a bad choice. You could get a cheaper twin and run it with your stock turbo and do absolutely fine, then if the day come you want to go with a bigger turbo, you can buy a stock replacement if you want and combine! All the cooling 😂

https://datazap.me/u/zwalk/is38-18t?log=0&data=10-16

While not a 2.0, this is my FBO IS38 wagon. Log was a this past week after a revision I didn’t push it super hard or anything but there are repeated pulls in there.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Im not even tuned, so I suppose it would be perfect for my situation. Looks like I will be ordering the 90mm unit. I wonder if ebay has any of those 15/20% off days coming...

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
Im not even tuned, so I suppose it would be perfect for my situation. Looks like I will be ordering the 90mm unit. I wonder if ebay has any of those 15/20% off days coming...
If you’re on the fence about Tuning the JB4 is a great option as well. They can be had cheap and really wake the car up in a quickly reversible way.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
If you’re on the fence about Tuning the JB4 is a great option as well. They can be had cheap and really wake the car up in a quickly reversible way.
My main hesitation with tuning is if its worth it. I had a stage 2 2015 and highly regretted tuning. The increase in performance wasn't really noticable and the amount of problems I had to contend with made it a headache till the day I flashed back to stock. However it seems like an upgraded IC benefits these cars even with the stock turbo. I'm in southern California where it gets decently warm year round, so it seems like a worthwhile endeavor.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
My main hesitation with tuning is if its worth it. I had a stage 2 2015 and highly regretted tuning. The increase in performance wasn't really noticable and the amount of problems I had to contend with made it a headache till the day I flashed back to stock. However it seems like an upgraded IC benefits these cars even with the stock turbo. I'm in southern California where it gets decently warm year round, so it seems like a worthwhile endeavor.
Well, the JB4 you can just unhook and sell if you hate it which is nice.

I’m enjoying being tuned. 2015 seemed to be a rough year since it was the first mk7 iteration. That said, yes, IC is the best upgrade on these cars.

Throw an airbox filter in and make mods to your box and you’re basically running an aftermarket intake as well!

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Well, the JB4 you can just unhook and sell if you hate it which is nice.

I’m enjoying being tuned. 2015 seemed to be a rough year since it was the first mk7 iteration. That said, yes, IC is the best upgrade on these cars.

Throw an airbox filter in and make mods to your box and you’re basically running an aftermarket intake as well!
How is efficiency and all that on jb4 vs going tuned? On my stage 2 I could still get the same high MPGs if I stayed off the gas, but I've heard people say differently about JB4. I might give it a shot.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
How is efficiency and all that on jb4 vs going tuned? On my stage 2 I could still get the same high MPGs if I stayed off the gas, but I've heard people say differently about JB4. I might give it a shot.
Can’t recall. I was still getting great mileage if memory serves. I get 21 city with my is38 now 😭

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
I did not know there are 2 versions of the twin cooler. Checked my order and I have the 90mm. I think you might need to trim the hoses. It feels like mine is pressing against the bumper (even with removing some of the trim pieces).
I had the Majesty stock location replacement as well and the twin cooler is way easier to install.