GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MAGIC/MAJESTY (eBay) 16.4 liter Intercooler

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
Which dremel attachment is used for that? Sander or the cut wheel?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

I used the wheel because 1.I would've had to go look for something else, and 2.after spending most of the day with the wheel reshaping the IC to fit, I had become a dremel wheel PhD :D

Fukeneh

Zoidberg - did you use the standard neoprene foam weather stripping? What thickness? Was the adhesive sufficient enough to hold with the heat? Gonna tackle this on the weekend... Cheers,

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
Zoidberg - did you use the standard neoprene foam weather stripping? What thickness? Was the adhesive sufficient enough to hold with the heat? Gonna tackle this on the weekend... Cheers,

I used the outdoor-grade one that had the "extended" lifespan, in the hope that for the extra $2 I won't ever have to do the IC job again to replace it.

The adhesive doesn't have to do much other than fix it in place at assembly, since it'll be held in by the rad & IC sandwich press.

edit: it was kinda like this one, if I remember correctly
https://www.lowes.com/pd/M-D-20-ft-x-1-2-in-Black-Door-Seal-Silicone-Door-Weatherstrip/1000461377

Last edited:

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I think you guys are over thinking this.

The contact patches between the two are tiny compared to the fins/heatsink.

There also raised and away from the fins themselves.

Not sure there is any real heat transfer with air hitting the fins.

Fukeneh

I used the outdoor-grade one that had the "extended" lifespan, in the hope that for the extra $2 I won't ever have to do the IC job again to replace it.

The adhesive doesn't have to do much other than fix it in place at assembly, since it'll be held in by the rad & IC sandwich press.

edit: it was kinda like this one, if I remember correctly
https://www.lowes.com/pd/M-D-20-ft-x-1-2-in-Black-Door-Seal-Silicone-Door-Weatherstrip/1000461377

Thanks for sharing, my thoughts exactly.

audio vicious

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport DSG
I'm about to order this, but I went back quite a few pages looking for where anyone mentioned this intercooler making the waste gate work harder and didn't see anything, just one person's quick thoughts, but nothing confirmed. Anything I should know?

Also, with this and the hoses, what else might I need? I wanna make sure I have everything I need.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
The wastegate should not be working harder with the addition of a intercooler. Considering the fact that it's electronically controlled it'll open and close as needed so it's kind of a moot point.

The intercooler allows the turbo to work more efficiently. Considering the ECU is load based it is constantly searching for requested airflow/torque target which somewhat correlates to boost. A denser air charge allows the engine to make power more efficiently meaning the ECU can reach it's target at lower rpm/boost. Meaning the wastegate shouldn't have to stay closed as long to make the same power. All other thing being equal of course (ambient temp, fuel octane, etc..)

At least that's my take based on what I've read. Correct me if I'm wrong.

There's quite a bit of information on Cobb's website under accesstuner support. Which describes how the ECU requests and controls the system. It's a good read if you ever want to dive in on what's going on behind the scene with ECU tuning.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

audio vicious

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport DSG
I found the other little parts list I'll need a few pages back, but what I guess I'm looking to confirm is any pros/cons or drawbacks of this intercooler. I'm ready to order, just trying to be informed. I thought I just wanted to lower IATs, then the talk of pressure came up. This one looks ideal, but I don't want any surprises later with anything. I plan on ordering as soon as I can get confirmation of that.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
^ there are 75 pages of from first hand experience here.

You picked one post out of hundreds and you’re hung up on that?

What else are you looking for? :confused:

audio vicious

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport DSG
^ there are 75 pages of from first hand experience here.

You picked one post out of hundreds and you’re hung up on that?

What else are you looking for? :confused:
I haven't owned a turbo car in a little over 15 years, and this is the first car I've gone about modding. I've read and followed this thread for some time looking at this intercooler, and it wasn't until recently did I see that mentioned twice. I don't know everything and you can't know what you don't know, so I'd rather ask than not. I don't buy anything until I'm very informed and feel confident I know all the details. I figured it was nothing but only wanted to ask.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I haven't owned a turbo car in a little over 15 years, and this is the first car I've gone about modding. I've read and followed this thread for some time looking at this intercooler, and it wasn't until recently did I see that mentioned twice. I don't know everything and you can't know what you don't know, so I'd rather ask than not. I don't buy anything until I'm very informed and feel confident I know all the details. I figured it was nothing but only wanted to ask.

Just do it.

In the alternative you can go with an FMIC kit.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
I found the other little parts list I'll need a few pages back, but what I guess I'm looking to confirm is any pros/cons or drawbacks of this intercooler. I'm ready to order, just trying to be informed. I thought I just wanted to lower IATs, then the talk of pressure came up. This one looks ideal, but I don't want any surprises later with anything. I plan on ordering as soon as I can get confirmation of that.

The eBay stock location IC I flow tested did well compared to others I've had access to. I can't speak to quality control or commonality across brands, but pressure drop of the sample I have isn't a concern.

audio vicious

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport DSG