GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

manual diesel

smartyy

Hi I am looking to replace my current car with I think a golf . I realy do not want a DSG auto but do want more than the standard 110 120 bhp I thought that to get a GTD i would have to go DSG but am now realising that if I go a bit older I can get a proper manual. So heres the question what is available I want more than the 115 ps 150 would do but a bit more is better can some one point me in the right direction. It is almost like there are to many options. thanks in advance Smarty

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
When you’ve said if you go a bit older you can get a proper manual, how old is a bit older?

The mk8 is available as a 150ps diesel with manual transmission in Style and R-Line trim levels. Be aware that if you’re considering going for an older mk8 Golf that the early cars suffered from quite a few software related issues. Most of these have been sorted by various software updates but some do remain and some that were fixed have been known to reoccur.

If you go older than the mk8, then the mk7.5 Golf GTD with its 2.0 litre 184ps diesel engine was available as a manual, so that car might be worth considering. The mk7.5 also comes with conventional interior controls (buttons, switches and knobs) if that’s your preference rather than the mk8 Golf’s touch panels. Arguably, the interior quality of the mk7.5 is considered by some to be better than that of the mk8, with some areas of cost cutting in evidence in the mk8 compared to the mk7.5.

One benefit of going for a used rather than new car is you’d avoid the long lead times being experienced new Golf’s. With mk8 performance Golf models, some cars have a lead time of almost two years which IMHO is crazy for a mass produced volume model such as a Golf.

Something else that might be worth considering; since Dieselgate back in 2015, IMHO diesel cars have unfairly have had a bit of bad press in recent years, and it might be worth bearing in mind that with an ever-increasing focus on emissions-free vehicles and achieving carbon neutrality, there’s the likelihood of more clean air zones and ULEZ being introduced in the UK in future. With this in mind, I dare say it’s possible that some of these areas may become ‘no go’ zones for some ICE’s. So depending on where you live, work and drive, this might be something to bear in mind.

Topaz

Passed Driver's Ed
I had the Mk 7.5 GTD in a manual it was a cracking car, fairly quick with very good economy.

smartyy

Thanks for that info it is realy helpful I was going for a secound hand one but the more knowledge I get the more I think it will not be a Mk8, can you highlight the diferences for me also when you talk about MK7.5 what exactly is this and what is the diferences between it and a MK7. what years am I looking for, as you can tell I am not at VW enthusiast having always had jap cars but as they seem to have given up on deisel cars I have to go to VAG dont think I am to bothered about LEZ as I live in the country and dont visit the citys.Any other problems I should be aware of.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
The mk7.5 is the facelift of the mk7. VW facelift their cars mid-way through their lifecycle to refresh a model’s appearance and keep it fresh to maintain (or increase) customer interest and boost sales. Changes are by usually limited to cosmetic changes such as headlamp / tail lamp design, bumpers, maybe new designs of alloy wheels, next generation infotainment units, and sometimes new interior trim materials. This is in addition to the usual annual spec changes at the start of a new model year. Digital instrument clusters were also introduced on some models as part of the mk7 to mk7.5 facelift of the Golf. VW may also introduce new power plants as part of a mid cycle facelift.

The mk7 Golf got its facelift at the end of 2016 and I think the first mk7.5 cars went on sale in the UK around the end of Q1 in 2017. Sorry, I don’t have a comprehensive list of what the changes were by model - they will differ from one model to the next. However, I’ve found a copy of a May 2016 mk7 spec brochure and a Feb 2019 mk7.5 brochure, so you can compare the mk7 and mk7.5 differences for any specific Golf models you might be interested in. The brochures will also include details of extra cost options which will only be present if the first owner spec’d these options when they ordered their car. Links to brochures below;

May 2016
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/common/pdf/golf-gte-vii-pricelist.pdf

February 2019
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/common/pdf/pricelists/golf-vii-pa-pricelist.pdf

From memory, the main external differences are;
- redesign of the internal parts of the headlamps and tail lamps. Those mk7 models that had xenon headlamps as standard got LED headlamps.
- Some models gained ‘sweeping’ rear indicators as standard.
- Front and rear bumpers were redesigned
- Some models gained new designs of alloy wheels.
- some subtle resign of the front wings, but the changes were so subtle, you’d probably not notice them. However, they’re significant enough that mk7 wings won’t fit a mk7.5 and vice versa.

Internally;
- larger infotainment screens
- digital instrument clusters for some models

There may be other differences for specific models - hopefully the linked brochures above will help you find them. Be aware that on the mk7 Golf, Car Play and Android Auto was an extra cost option, so if that’s important to you, ensure any mk7 you might be interested in has this.

smartyy

Thanks SRGTD for all the info I will look into it at the weekend but am pretty sure a MK 7 or 7,5 GTD is what I am looking as for Topaz comments what sort of economy would I be looking at in the real world. thanks again for everyones help. smarty

smartyy

Thanks again SRGTD I have had a look at the brochures and I am getting a handle on it . It looks like if I want a manual GTD MK 7.5 it would have to be a late 2017 or 2018 as it went DSG only in 2019 is that correct also can you tell me simple way to recosnise a MK7.5 over a MK 7 as ones I have looked at online have diferent exhusts for the same year

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
What is the difference between a GTD and a GTD blueline
Differences are in the 2019 price and spec brochure that I posted earlier in this discussion thread; essentially, the Blueline has smaller alloys (page 26). Page 12 - Blueline model has slightly lower CO2 emissions that the non-Blueline model, probably because of the smaller (lighter?) alloys.

AndyCYM

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks again SRGTD I have had a look at the brochures and I am getting a handle on it . It looks like if I want a manual GTD MK 7.5 it would have to be a late 2017 or 2018 as it went DSG only in 2019 is that correct also can you tell me simple way to recosnise a MK7.5 over a MK 7 as ones I have looked at online have diferent exhusts for the same year
I ran a dsg GTD 7.5 estate for 3 years. High 40s mpg in general use 55 mpg on motorway. Excellent car. Headlights and digital dash are easy way to tell them apart.

smartyy

Thanks everyone I did not know i could get a GTD estate that probably confirms it for me I guess they will be a bit rare would you say a MK7 would be more realiable without the digital dash than a MK 7.5