GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MARCO? POLO: Redskins name change

Should the Redskins change their name?

• Yes, that's racist.

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • No, it's a team name not an Executive Order. Fuck off.

Votes: 28 45.2%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • RG3's wife is SMOKING

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • I don't watch football, I prefer going to wine tastings with my other "boyfriends"

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I think they should change the name but the government should not be involved in any fashion

Eh, if they can censor you from yelling fire in a crowded building or be on an airplane, it seems to make sense. Just because something has been wrong in the past, doesn't make it an excuse to allow it to continue for the future.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Eh, if they can censor you from yelling fire in a crowded building or be on an airplane, it seems to make sense. Just because something has been wrong in the past, doesn't make it an excuse to allow it to continue for the future.

Normally I would agree, but there are groups of Native Americans who have no issue with it at all. When the group who could have a problem with it is divided in not only their view on the team having the name, but also the origin of the word altogether, that is where the problem lies. If they cannot agree, then why should a business be forced to dish out millions of dollars to change something to placate a group? Not all Native Americans are offended by it. :iono:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
And not all blacks are offended by the n word? And not all Italians were offended by the Sopranos? And not all Jews are offended by Seinfeld and Larry David ? So what .. Oh boohoo. Some rich people have to lose a few million in their billion dollar franchise, cry me a fucking river.. Stop supporting the job creators, will ya?

DDKing13

Ready to race!
Its easy to say suck it up when it doesn't matter to you. The name is pretty evidently a racial stereotype, reinforced by the dixie loving idiot that owned that team and refused to allow blacks to play at first. I think a good analogy would be Berlin having a team named after a Jewish stereotype, I don't think that would play very well. It's easy to hate on the PC crusaders, but for once they actually have a legitimate gripe. Really I've yet to see a good argument for keeping the name. The history of that team is steeped in racial prejudice, both in name and actions. It's actually kind of pathetic how double standards apply, if this was about Jews or Blacks the name change wouldn't even be up for discussion, it would have already been done.

Agree 100%. Exactly what I was saying.

DDKing13

Ready to race!
Where is the actions of a football team playing a game steeped in racial prejudice? Is it when they block a pass rusher? Maybe when they are making a tackle. Or perhaps the kickoff? I don't see your point here. Football is not racist. It may be the no fun league, but it is not racist to ANYONE.

This has nothing to do with the game of football. It's strictly about the name.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
This has nothing to do with the game of football. It's strictly about the name.

I was going off of this comment:

The history of that team is steeped in racial prejudice, both in name and actions.

Specifically, the action part. What action in the history of the team is racist? To me the history of the team is on the field - not in offices, courtrooms, luxury boxes, owners boxes, or anywhere else. Furthermore, the history of the Redskins includes having the first black quarterback to win a Super Bowl. I also do realize that they had an owner, Marshall, who was extremely racist, and was the last to sign a black player in the 60s after pressure from the NFL not renewing a stadium lease. But, like I said, I measure the history of the team ON THE FIELD.

Here is an interesting article:

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/10/08/how-many-native-americans-think-redskins-is-a-slur/

Merkle

Banned
The very reason that it's being brought up for debate seems to be an indication that it needs to be changed.

We're not asking large gay men if they're offended by The Bears
Catholics don't seem to mind The Saints
Pirates don't seem to mind The Raiders

But the fact that Redskin was once on the same par as "Troy" makes one think.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
It's easy to hate on the PC crusaders, but for once they actually have a legitimate gripe.
I don't fully expect for you to know all of the issues - and indeed many Americans don't - but I think it would be really cool if white liberals took Native American poverty as seriously as the name of a fucking football team.

In America the liberals have the Gripe Of The Month Club - a group of vocal (mostly young) people who jump on an issue every few weeks, beat it to death, then promptly forget about it when the next one blows up. One month it's CFCs in the atmosphere, the next month it's transgender bathrooms for deep sea fishers, the next month it's women in the military, the next month it's a horrible racist football team name.

Seriously, I'll bet if you took a poll in every Native American community and gave them one of two options that could gain national interest - the Redskins' name or the extraordinary poverty among their demographic - which do you think would interest them?

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/releases/archives/facts_for_features_special_editions/cb13-ff26.html

29.1%
The percent of single-race American Indians and Alaska Natives that were in poverty in 2012, the highest rate of any race group. For the nation as a whole, the poverty rate was 15.9 percent.

A part of America whose poverty rate is nearly twice that of the national average and the biggest thing they can get in the news is name of a football team. But hey, words are important too.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
I say we change the name of the team to Rednecks and their logo to be of Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel instead. That would be very appropriate.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I don't fully expect for you to know all of the issues - and indeed many Americans don't - but I think it would be really cool if white liberals took Native American poverty as seriously as the name of a fucking football team.

In America the liberals have the Gripe Of The Month Club - a group of vocal (mostly young) people who jump on an issue every few weeks, beat it to death, then promptly forget about it when the next one blows up. One month it's CFCs in the atmosphere, the next month it's transgender bathrooms for deep sea fishers, the next month it's women in the military, the next month it's a horrible racist football team name.

Seriously, I'll bet if you took a poll in every Native American community and gave them one of two options that could gain national interest - the Redskins' name or the extraordinary poverty among their demographic - which do you think would interest them?

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/releases/archives/facts_for_features_special_editions/cb13-ff26.html

A part of America whose poverty rate is nearly twice that of the national average and the biggest thing they can get in the news is name of a football team. But hey, words are important too.

typical right response...

compare one problem to another problem - same or worse - that no one at all is doing anything about on either side.

Then say how the liberals are complaining about the first problem, but not the 2nd one, somehow "negating" the legitimacy of the original problem.

Yet the right is doing nothing on either problem, compared to the liberals at least dealing with the first issue, this somehow attempts to make the right "better" than the liberals who are least doing/trying to do something on ONE problem. All the while, the right - the party, the base, teabaggers and the libertarians too, and their congress - all have done absolutely nothing for this country's people, society, or economy, since 2008... its quite a laughable and failed attempt to anyone with an IQ over 100 and any sort of political sense of awareness. It's almost on par with dragging out one embassy attack of 4 dead americans for years, but forgetting about the 4,000+ dead in Iraq, and 3500 or so on 9/11, and all the embassy attacks under GWB... but hey, its easier to go with bumper sticker slogans than to think for yourself.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion

I'm speechless:laugh:

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
It's ironic a thread about how people shouldnt be offended by words has post deleted because people who claim you shouldn't be offended by words get offended by words that were posted to prove words can absolutely offend.

Carry on with this nonsense.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
It's ironic a thread about how people shouldnt be offended by words has post deleted because people who claim you shouldn't be offended by words get offended by words that were posted to prove words can absolutely offend.

Carry on with this nonsense.

fuck yo couch.

^reported

:clap: