GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Matrix Headlights

LMWT

Go Kart Newbie
Could I ask anyone who has Matrix headlights on their MK8 and who drive where there are no street lights etc and where these headlights really come into play - do you see the shadows as shown in the photo below? I have become conscious of these "shadows" only recently and was wondering if any of the recent software updates might have changed how the Matrix headlights perform.

Thanks

Matrix 3.jpg

m4in

Go Kart Newbie
Not quite sure what in particular mean by "shadow"? The headlights can't really illuminate behind a crest.

In general, our IQ lights throw "shadow" where it suspects a car to be. It could well be that it mistakes the reflection of those mile markers as oncoming traffic, since it's not looking for "a car" but for "lights".

edit: car was delivered 3 weeks ago, so fully up to date. Haven't seen any odd behaviour that i wouldn't be able to explain away (reflections, mainly), and we live rural - no street lights, so basically every drive from afternoon is in the pitch black.

LMWT

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for the reply,

The matrix lights performance is great - no issues there, one of the best features of the car. Shadow might not be the correct description, I've outlined the areas I was attempting to describe, have had the car over two years and strange as it seems, became conscious of these in my peripheral vision only recently. I assume you see these "outlines" when driving at your location. If you do that confirms things are OK with my car :)

Matrix 4.jpg

m4in

Go Kart Newbie
I agree, compared to our prior car (Ateca with normal LEDs/automatic high beam) it's a revelation. So much easier on the eye, sadly basically rules out any car without Matrix LEDs for the future lol, can't see me go back to normal LEDs.

Yes, we do have those outlines - we noticed that immediately the first time we drove at night (when the "curtain" opens, the light animation). We have the exact same radius of lighting. If that was different before, then it had to be an update or something - since we have the exact same on a new car, i'd assume that this is expected behaviour.

LMWT

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks again for the reply, good to know all that, I got flashed two times since I got the car, so not a bad two year record! Cannot be sure about the updates changing things, wish VW would list what the software updates actually cover, last I got was 1899 and the previous 1896 early last summer fixed all the software errors I had been experiencing since almost day one!
Only problem since then is in the last few weeks - several parking sensors have been replaced and currently one of them is failing intermittently. Several failing in such a short period of time leads me to believe it's a software issue, good the car is still under warranty to cover the work, hate to think what the costs would be outside warranty period.