GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Max's E46 M3 quest...

McQueen77

Banned
Sarcasm.

Seriously. Driving an MT car as your day to day car in a major city is total lameness. But now you have a fun gay weekend car and now you can blast out to pacifica or half moon gay or whatever and bang your little lever around. Sweet dick buddy. Black is boss btw. I dont care how hard they are to keep clean, black is first choice for me

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
Pretty nice ride for the worst forum member. Haha. So have you beat on it yet? Lets hear more driving impressions.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Pretty nice ride for the worst forum member. Haha. So have you beat on it yet? Lets hear more driving impressions.
haha well I did beat on it... a bit
Sounds more like it was beating on him at this point.

Yep...

Before I get comfortable with the car I want to be gentle with it..

so far I know that it doesn't lug at 1500-2000rpms so it is easy to keep the RPMS low and the engine is still happy.

I can launch the car off idle essentially, super easy to drive manual.

First gear is a little short so shifting early is kind of out of the question you have to rev it to 3000 or so.

the I6 is fantastic in every way other than the god damn sound. It kinds of sounds odd to me. I really liked the LS series sound a lot more than this car.

The steering is great, car responds instantly even with the smallest flick of the finger. It isn't too firm or too soft. Car is certainly very connected to the road.

Brakes are great, very progressive. No idea why anyone would upgrade them they feel just right. (although I am running on larger rotors)

Seats are firm but comfortable, and I have those 100 way adjustable ones not that I care, I actually prefer manual seats.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
you said the repair history was pretty long?

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Nice man, very nice. E46 M3 is definitely a bucket list car. Looks great.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I've driven a few.. I was not as impressed as I thought I'd be, but they are still great cars.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
How mang miles does she have on her?

BTW I went outside and removed a bit of the clear bra on the headlight washers. Came off and only left like 5% residue which comes off easy with bug and tar remover...

I'll be tackling this job myself for sure.

BTW the headlights have some kind of protector as well which has started to bubble underneath. Really fugly so they look chipped even though they are pristine :lol:

That one worries me it is pretty thick... 1/32" easily. I wonder if I can get that off.

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion

BTW I went outside and removed a bit of the clear bra on the headlight washers. Came off and only left like 5% residue which comes off easy with bug and tar remover...

I'll be tackling this job myself for sure.

BTW the headlights have some kind of protector as well which has started to bubble underneath. Really fugly so they look chipped even though they are pristine :lol:

That one worries me it is pretty thick... 1/32" easily. I wonder if I can get that off.
Ok, not coming off as a dick, but you were talking about not keeping the TDI out of warranty, but you bought a car with just about 90k on the clock? What is maintenance looking like for it $$ wise?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Are you located at bay area? Maybe we should have a cruise sometimes!! with your new M3 of cuz :clap:

yep I am in the yay area :eek:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Ok, not coming off as a dick, but you were talking about not keeping the TDI out of warranty, but you bought a car with just about 90k on the clock? What is maintenance looking like for it $$ wise?

The TDI has a potential 10k time bomb issue and it is a new car after all...

Maintenance is expensive as shit on the M3, probably close to exotic car status to be honest. But I am keeping the miles low (<5k a year) and I purchased one that had everything imaginable replaced.

Besides I do a lot of my own work anyways

And expectations for daily driver and weekend car are completely different. Daily driver needs to be comfortable, fuel efficient fairly fun and reliable.

Weekend car needs to look great and be fun. Can't have it all in one vehicle.

McQueen77

Banned
^^ OMG bro youre such a dickhole rawbdog

Its not his DD so it aint no thang

Mister_A

Ready to race!
Hey I am not going anywhere :laugh:

So... I had quite the adventure on day 1 with the car.

First off, I haven't driven manual in about 9 months since selling my vette...

enter
1. San Francisco
2. Rush hour traffic at 5pm
3. Motherfkin accidents on freeway etc.

I was essentially cussing out loud after 15 min and it took me 1.5 hrs to drive 8 miles. :laugh: Got a sweet 11mpg as well

on that note I met some friends out late yesterday and ended up staying in sf over night (no trannies or gays)

Some new observations...
Negatives:
This car has a few rattles I gotta fix, one in the door and a few from the trunk area. Super annoying esp coupled with the 19s and the stiff suspension.
2nd gear was hard to engage when car was cold, as were other gears seems to be common amongst E46 complaints.
I have to take the fugly clear bra off. Pretty sure I won't replace it with anything on the flipside the paint underneath that should be fine.
The car may be too stiff for me... :laugh: I may downsize to 18s, but that seems like a pipe dream for now given that these are nearly brand new Michelin tires.

Positives:
Stock stereo is pretty good
The factory Nav while being far inferior to my RNS510 has absolutely 0 lag.

:thumbup: