GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MIB3 Discover Pro retrofit

erikweber321

Ready to race!
I'm a 2015 America's GTI Autobahn.

Can someone tell me my steps to upgrade to mib3? Company, installer in na, that sort of thing if it's possible?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I'm a 2015 America's GTI Autobahn.

Can someone tell me my steps to upgrade to mib3? Company, installer in na, that sort of thing if it's possible?

HUGE and expensive job. Suggestion: wait till somebody upgrades from MIB2 to MIB3, then buy their 2nd hand MIB2 hardware and go that route - still a HUGE upgrade from MIB1, and would save you a ton of cash.

methnen

Passed Driver's Ed
@erikweber321

I've played with the MIB3 in a high spec Atlas and there's honestly nothing I noticed that was particularly better than a top of the line MIB2 unit other than the screen size.

vrod

Ready to race!
Ok so I was by the seller this week and had a talk. It is NOT a MIB3 (I'll edit my previous posts), it is still MIB2. The unit will work without issues in the car. It's a belgium company which will be doing the unlocking. I know there's no carbon-fiber trim for the new discover pro but I might try to find some foil and foil it if possible.

I also threw a joke-bid for a digital cluster but actually won that auktion so now I'll be fitting this to the car as well. I will need to do some optic cabling, does anyone have experience with this?

vrod

Ready to race!
Ok so most of the parts have come in the door. I'll be heading to belgium tomorrow for the installation of the DP Facelift device AND an Active Info Display as I managed to get hold of one cheap. Only really waiting for the MIB2 Dynaudio amplifier to be delivered. The installation company have confirmed they are able to retrofit both parts.

So far I have purchased these parts:

Navi:
- DP MIB2 Facelift Display (5G6 919 606)
- DP MIB2 Facelift Unit (5NA 035 042)
- MIB2 Dynaudio amplifier (5Q0 035 456)
- Piano-Black frame for Display (5G1 819 743 F)

Active Info Display
- AID Unit (5G1 920 791)
- Piano-Black frame for AID (5G0 857 189 B)
- Optical Y-splitter (need to split the fiber between the amplifier and DP unit to connect the AID Unit)

Excited for tomorrow, hopefully all will work out. I won't be getting any sound out of the speakers though until I get the new amplifier installed. Not a biggie as I will be travelling out of the country in our other car.

H22hatch

Ready to race!
Active Info Display
- AID Unit (5G1 920 791)
- Piano-Black frame for AID (5G0 857 189 B)
- Optical Y-splitter (need to split the fiber between the amplifier and DP unit to connect the AID Unit)

Definitely going to need more info on this process!!!! What optical Y-splitter are you referencing; Is this for the fiber network in the car? Are you just inserting the AID unit in the fiber ring? Do you need a new harness for the AID unit or is your car already a facelift without the AID? Any coding involved?

Sorry for all the questions.

vrod

Ready to race!
I already have an optical connection going to the Dynaudio amplifier from my current unit. Fiber optics works in TX (Transmit) and RX (Receive) and I need to include the AID device in the ring/loop. The Y-splitter is simply one from a Audi MMI retrofit set. The connectors are standardized. M87a from the ross-tech forums helped me out and we made a cabling overview together.

My golf is a 2014 so pre-facelift. You don't need any extra wiring for the AID other than the optical cable. :) but as far as I know it needs to be a discover pro unit, as the AID needs the map data from the unit.

H22hatch

Ready to race!
I already have an optical connection going to the Dynaudio amplifier from my current unit. Fiber optics works in TX (Transmit) and RX (Receive) and I need to include the AID device in the ring/loop. The Y-splitter is simply one from a Audi MMI retrofit set. The connectors are standardized. M87a from the ross-tech forums helped me out and we made a cabling overview together.

My golf is a 2014 so pre-facelift. You don't need any extra wiring for the AID other than the optical cable. :) but as far as I know it needs to be a discover pro unit, as the AID needs the map data from the unit.

Great Info!!! I still have my fiber loop and a couple fiber modules from when I had my Q7.

So the AID should be plug and play with the wiring in the car already.....Interesting. Cars with NAV in the US get NAV info in the cluster albeit not that great (streetnames, direction arrows, etc). I wonder if that is enough?

What about component protection? Or any additional coding? I looked into this previously and the company I spoke with said it would require ODIS to program.

vrod

Ready to race!
Yeah supposedly it should... but as said tomorrow is the big day where I'll see if it works. CP def need to be removed and the keys will have to be programmed with ODIS. Try to get a new speedo though, should be easier to get retrofitted.

H22hatch

Ready to race!
Yeah supposedly it should... but as said tomorrow is the big day where I'll see if it works. CP def need to be removed and the keys will have to be programmed with ODIS. Try to get a new speedo though, should be easier to get retrofitted.

Thanks again for the info. Looking forward to seeing how it goes and what they end up using ODIs for other than programming the keys.

vrod

Ready to race!
It became a long night yesterday and we were done about half past midnight. All funktions work though, however due to the tacho km-age I will need to keep track of the real mileage. Since it became so late we did not finish everything as we liked, the frame I bought was also for the Discover Media, not the Pro so still gotta source that one. We'll finish up the rest next week. :)

H22hatch

Ready to race!
It became a long night yesterday and we were done about half past midnight. All funktions work though, however due to the tacho km-age I will need to keep track of the real mileage. Since it became so late we did not finish everything as we liked, the frame I bought was also for the Discover Media, not the Pro so still gotta source that one. We'll finish up the rest next week. :)

So any updates? Did they require any additional harnesses? Did they need to use ODIS for anything other than reprogramming the keys and removing component protection? Any other reprogramming required?

vrod

Ready to race!
Just required an optic splitter to connect amp, unit and aid. However not fully done, will continue on wednesday. :)