GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Missing Features that older Volkswagen Cars Had

electroasd

I recently purchased a new Golf MK8 GTE, and I also own a VW Polo 6C. Naturally, I've been making comparisons between the two vehicles. To my surprise, I noticed some missing features in the Golf MK8 that I'd like to share with you in case I've overlooked something.

1) Outside Temperature in Infotainment System: The issue here is quite straightforward—there's no outside temperature displayed in the infotainment system of the Golf MK8. Unlike my previous non-VW cars, which all had this feature, the infotainment system in the Golf MK8 only shows the time. While it may not be a critical feature, having the outside temperature readily available is convenient for passengers and adds a sense of the outside conditions without needing to ask the driver. From a technical standpoint, it doesn't seem like a challenging addition.

2) Altitude for Navigation: In previous MIB2 systems (and possibly MIB1), there was a static indicator showing the altitude of the car's current position in the navigation system. This is a feature I've seen in older cars as well. I'm uncertain why the MK8, and probably all MIB3 systems, lack this feature. Again, it's not a critical feature, but during a recent trip through mountainous terrain, having the altitude displayed provided a more comprehensive picture of our surroundings and helped with preparation for specific conditions.

3) We Connect's POI Search: With We Connect's Guide and Inform feature, I found that I can search directly from the car for Points of Interest (POIs), and Google returns results. I've tried this in the MK8 navigation system with We Connect enabled, but I'm unsure if it's a real-time online search. If anyone has more information on this, please share.

4) Weather Information and Real-Time Radar: In the Polo, there's a weather app that's quite useful for trip planning. It provides weather information for the current location, destination, and predictions for the day and upcoming days. Additionally, there's a Radar application that displays weather conditions on a map, including thunderstorms and other phenomena. While not a critical feature, it's convenient. It's worth noting that while we can check weather conditions on our mobile phones, VW could potentially enhance this feature by adding value, such as warnings for travelers entering a thunderstorm or suggesting route changes based on weather conditions.

Maybe they are more, I will update.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Older VW’s - including the 6c Polo had;
  • a button on the lower section of the driver’s side B pillar to switch off interior motion sensors. That function is now ‘buried’ somewhere in the vehicle settings menus.
  • a little spring loaded cover around the tailgate locking pin on the hatch sill. On the mk8 Golf, the spring loaded cover has been deleted, leaving the locking pin fully exposed.
  • the mk8 Golf doesn’t have backlighting for volume and temperature sliders below the infotainment screen. In all VW‘s I’ve owned since 2002, those (physical) controls have been illuminated.
Comparing mk7.5 to the mk8 Golf (as forum members who’ve owned both will naturally do), from memory deletions are;
  • The small storage cubby in the lower dash by the driver’s knee that was in the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf has been deleted.
  • gas bonnet strut in the mk7 / mk7.5 has been replaced by a manual prop.
  • mk8 has no sliding cover over the cup holders in the centre console (mk7 / mk7.5 had a sliding cover).
  • Keyhole in driver‘s exterior door handle is exposed on the mk8; it was concealed behind a cover on the mk7 / mk7.5.
  • the felt liner in the glovebox on the mk7 / mk7.5 has deleted from the mk8 (interior of glovebox is hard plastic.
There may be others.

Removal of physical controls from the mk8 has been done to death many times over on most Golf forums so I won’t repeat what’s already been said.

Just to add some balance, there will be additional features and functions that the mk8 has that were not present in older VW’s - e.g. much of the tech in the mk8.

electroasd

Outside temperature is displayed in the digital dash.
Exactly but I am referring to extra indicator to infotainment

Another one I found:

5) No Trip Odometer.
Ok I am having the odomoter from trip computer but not an actual trip odometer. Critical? No, I can write in my phone the current mileage and measure for example 500miles that I need for example , and not reset the whole trip computer ( daily or long term ) for this.