GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk 8 Hood Strut replacement -ECS or Raceline?

waynemad

Any comments on which of these two prop rod replacements you prefer? The Raceline (and 034) have a ball end adapter that goes on an existing bolt on the hood while the ECS uses a ball end bolt/nut assembly that goes in an existing hole beside the hole for the prop rod.

Clearly the Raceline is slightly simpler but I am overly oncerned about the bending force on that Raceline adapter as there are not a lot of threads exposed on the bolt it goes on. Happy to hear from those who have tried either.

waynemad

Mk 8 GTI's do not have an OEM hood strut. They saved $$ by only using a prop rod. In fact the ball stud on the body is still there making this easy.

As this is my wife's car the hood is not the lightest thing in the world, and she is 'vertically challenged" so making it easy for her to replace washer fluid etc., especially with winter here.

PanEuropean

Ready to race!
Mk 8 GTI's do not have an OEM hood strut.
Hi Wayne:

Ah, now I understand, thanks for clarifying that. I thought you were attempting to replace the prop rod, I didn't realize you were trying to replicate the MK VII design that had spring struts to keep the hood up.

I took delivery of a MK VIII GTI yesterday, replacing my MK VII. I was not impressed to find that the hood struts had been deleted, and I am still looking for the sunglass storage compartment, the little storage bin by the fusebox, the slot to put the SD card in, etc. etc. To tell you the truth, I'm not at all impressed with the de-contenting that I have seen so far on the MK VIII.

Come back and let us know what you eventually choose for hood struts, and do post a link to the product you choose.

Michael

waynemad

Pan European, I would be interested to know if your 2024 came with an engine cover. You may have noticed that the warning triangle storage space cover in the trunk lid is mssing. As those triangles are not sold in Canada I bought one on eBay and now it is tolerable to look at

As far as the other changes, I do miss the sunglass holder but never used the small storage bin. As far as the SD card, those are going the way of the dodo anyway. I suppose you could use a USB key but CarPlay is vastly superior IMHO. Not only does the typical phone have more memory than a SD but I can not only easily select my music but also stream Spotify or my favourite here in NA, Radio Paradise. Both saved me renewing Sirius and provide commercial free listenting for no charge.

I replaced my 2015 Mk VII 6 spd with this 2023 6 spd (took 18 month for delivery) but, again, IMHO the Mk VIII is a vastly superior car. Faster, quieter, far more features like blind spot, and adjustable suspension. Both my wife (who's car it is, like the 2015)love it and having one of these is all about driving.. Within a week or delivery she headed off on a 1500 km trip to see friends in the US. Sh did have to call me to tell her how to turn off the lane depature which we both find to be a PITA. Now that is off, never to return

As for the digital controls, incding the haptics on the wheel that everyone is whining about, I have absolutely no problems with them. In fact things like swiping the volume on the wheel (probably the most used) is so much easier than pushing the old buttoms or reaching for the volume knob.

And before any of the posters here start on me on this topic, I am 75 and if someone who graduated from engineering with a slide rule, programming computers with punch cards, can figure this out, you "dudes" (LOL) that grew up in the digital world can too. End of 2023 grumpy old man rant!

Best to all for 2024

PanEuropean

Ready to race!
...I am 75...
Hi Wayne:

I'm not far behind you, I'm 69. My background is also engineering, my specialty was human factors design & engineering for large commercial aircraft avionics systems. I'm not at all impressed with the user interface on the Golf VIII - VW uses about half a dozen different modalities for interacting with the vehicle. They should have picked one and used it consistently throughout. They are also very inconsistent with their use of colour for labels & annunciation. Amber is normally used to indicate 'cautions', and white is normally used for nomenclature. I cannot figure out why they used amber (correctly) for the passenger airbag off annunciation, but used amber (incorrectly) for the "Auto" label on the light switch control. But don't get me started on that path...

Have you figured out how to get traffic flow depiction on the nav system? I have a traffic subscription with Sirius, but it doesn't seem to work with this car. It worked fine with my 2015 Golf.

My 2024 GTI, built in Q4 2024, did come with an engine cover - see photo below. It's quite a sturdy cover, I'm happy with it.

Michael

ENGINE COVER - 2024 GOLF
Engine Cover 2024 Golf.jpg

waynemad

Well damn, you are in Ontario and now I see, Toronto. I'm in Burlington. Apologies for assuming Europe from handle.

NIce that the 2-24 has an engine cover. TIme to pester my dealer I guess. There was a recall in the EU/UK for this if I undertand posts on thie site correctly. Not sure that has occurred in Canada, so I may just buy an aftermarket if no joy at the dealer.

I never really had good luck with the sirius traffic on the 2015 so now am quite happy to use Waze on my phone as it also provides alternate routes on an instant basis if the situation is bad and staying on the road is not optiamal. I am sure you know what I mean re the QEW/401.

You may be right on the interfacing but my comments were more directed to the countless reviews of this model compaining about the haptics. As far as the vsrious menus, yes a bit of a pain but I seem to have settled in and really don't need to access them often. The shortcut buttons for suspension/cliamate down below get used most often.. Given your background, I can see why you find it frustrating, but as a metallurgical engineer, i.e., overeducated blacksmith, it is less irritating I suppose.

Regards

waynemad

Lift supports depot 10mm M6x1.10 Hi Rise Cap - (eBay)
Tuff Support 610166 (Rockauto)
Thanks for that but those are just the struts. This is not a strut replacement. It replaces a prop rod in the Mk 8. One still needs the ball end stud for the hood to attach it. The ball end stud in the engine compartment is there. They could have saved $0.10 by not putting it in LOL.. Raceline and ESC have two different fittings which was the heart of the question

waynemad

My error. Apologies.

Qestion remains however. That ball nut is like the Raceline. The ECS uses a different fitment. THe question is which is better. Any clearance issues as the upper ball is in two slightly different positions. ALso stress on the hood latch bolt with the constant pressure of the strut in closed position using the adapter method.

I'm probably just being too anal. Likely very little difference but this site is for asking questions, even dumb ones.

PanEuropean

Ready to race!
I'm probably just being too anal.
No, not at all. Holding the hood up is a safety-critical matter. If a part ever fails and that hood comes down while someone is working inside there, or even just resting a hand on a fender, the result will be life-altering, or maybe even life-ending.

I would consider replacing the prop rod with a strut, but only if I could find OEM parts in the European VW ETKA parts catalog to accomplish the modification.

As for "Ali Express" - I'm not even sure I would consider buying a dog's water dish from Ali Express, let alone a safety-critical part. There are far too many industrious little vendors selling knock-offs and factory seconds (quality control rejects) operating out of China.

Michael

waynemad

No, not at all. Holding the hood up is a safety-critical matter. If a part ever fails and that hood comes down while someone is working inside there, or even just resting a hand on a fender, the result will be life-altering, or maybe even life-ending.

I would consider replacing the prop rod with a strut, but only if I could find OEM parts in the European VW ETKA parts catalog to accomplish the modification.

As for "Ali Express" - I'm not even sure I would consider buying a dog's water dish from Ali Express, let alone a safety-critical part. There are far too many industrious little vendors selling knock-offs and factory seconds (quality control rejects) operating out of China.

Michael
I am with you on Ali Express. I don’t care what you say about labour costs but $12 for something from a reputable dealer @ $100 has to raise questions

True about the safety issue however I have never seen a strut fail catastrophically. They just lose their gas seal and can’t support the weight. An improperly positioned prop rod can fail suddenly with the consequences you mentioned. The VW seems pretty idiot proof but my concern is my 110 on wife holding the hood up while she sets it. She is pretty fit but I think I will eliminate that concern with a strut

PanEuropean

Ready to race!
I have never seen a strut fail catastrophically. They just lose their gas seal and can’t support the weight.
My concern is not with the expansion & compression of the strut, it is with the structural integrity of the non-OEM ball installed at the upper end of the strut, and whether or not the strut (including the ball receivers at each end of the strut) is rated to support the weight of the hood plus a safety margin adequate to allow for wind gusts when the hood is open.

Michael