GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK 8 snow tires

rjbied

I traded in my 2016 MK7 R for a 2023 MK8 R. The MK7 ran 18" wheels as stock and I ran Blizzak 225/45R17 snow tires on 17" OEM VW wheels. The MK8 R is delivered with 19" summer tires.
Will my 17" wheels fit the MK8 or do I need to look for some 18" wheels for winter tires?

CH47AV8R

I traded in my 2016 MK7 R for a 2023 MK8 R. The MK7 ran 18" wheels as stock and I ran Blizzak 225/45R17 snow tires on 17" OEM VW wheels. The MK8 R is delivered with 19" summer tires.
Will my 17" wheels fit the MK8 or do I need to look for some 18" wheels for winter tires?
Will not fit.
Very few 17s will.
I run 18 peelers from my 12 R in the winter and there isn't much room between the caliper and barrel.

rjbied

Will not fit.
Very few 17s will.
I run 18 peelers from my 12 R in the winter and there isn't much room between the caliper and barrel.
Thank you for the reply. I found someone selling a set of VW OEM wheels from a 2018 Golf Alltrack. Any thoughts on these wheels?

elwood1

Ready to race!
Similar question - do the MK8 GTI's have the same 57.1 center bore as the MK7's. I just picked up my MK8 GTI Saturday, and I'm
hoping to use the Cadiz wheels from my MK7 which already have winter tires mounted. THANKS.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Similar question - do the MK8 GTI's have the same 57.1 center bore as the MK7's. I just picked up my MK8 GTI Saturday, and I'm
hoping to use the Cadiz wheels from my MK7 which already have winter tires mounted. THANKS.

Centre bore for UK and Europe mk8’s is 57.1 so assume it would be the same for US/Canada mk8’s too.

PanEuropean

Ready to race!
If your 17 inch wheels are OEM VW wheels, they will fit a MK 8 GTI. You can confirm this by checking with the parts counter staff at your VW dealer.

The only MK 8 that can't use 17 inch wheels is the "R", because it has slightly larger brake calipers than the GTI.

Michael

I-A

What is the brake configuration on a stock MK8 R?

I know the MK8 GTI and GTE have the 340mm disc, same as the MK7 GTI PP, MK7 R, S3 8V, which 17s do work with.

PanEuropean

Ready to race!
We get a whopping 2 pistons...
That's more than enough. One piston is fully sufficient on the GTIs.

The evaluation criteria is simple: If you hammer the brakes with as much force as you can on a dry road, and the ABS then kicks in, that's sufficient proof that the caliper exerts more force than it needs to on the brake disc.

Some years ago, I had a W12 powered VW (a North American spec Phaeton) that came with 2 piston calipers on the front brakes. The European version of the same car came with 4 piston Brembos and significantly bigger discs on the front. I asked the factory about this when I was visiting Dresden, and they told me that the reason was simple: the NAR cars were electronically speed limited to 130 MPH, whereas the European cars were not speed limited and could reach speeds of 180 MPH.

If the factory had put the 4 piston Brembos on the NAR cars, it would have dramatically increased the service and repair costs but would not have resulted in any benefit at all to the owners.

Michael

Reactions: I-A

CH47AV8R

That's more than enough. One piston is fully sufficient on the GTIs.

The evaluation criteria is simple: If you hammer the brakes with as much force as you can on a dry road, and the ABS then kicks in, that's sufficient proof that the caliper exerts more force than it needs to on the brake disc.

Some years ago, I had a W12 powered VW (a North American spec Phaeton) that came with 2 piston calipers on the front brakes. The European version of the same car came with 4 piston Brembos and significantly bigger discs on the front. I asked the factory about this when I was visiting Dresden, and they told me that the reason was simple: the NAR cars were electronically speed limited to 130 MPH, whereas the European cars were not speed limited and could reach speeds of 180 MPH.

If the factory had put the 4 piston Brembos on the NAR cars, it would have dramatically increased the service and repair costs but would not have resulted in any benefit at all to the owners.

Michael
Kind of like putting 6 extra cylinders in an engine?
Dramatically indeed.