GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Climatronic upgrade with instructions and pictures.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Agreed. Now that I've got a 6 yo and a 14 month old, I usually have to take a day or two of vacation to even attempt a relatively significant retrofit. That being said, I get 3-5 minor retrofits in per year. Thanks @Cuzoe for addressing that future retrofit 😂 . That aux heater has me curious as an alternate to the gas heater.
It's sort of interesting, the Aux (hair dryer, haha) heater. My TDI has it, but there are folks with NAR Mk7 TDIs that don't have it. Not sure it was installed in any (US) gassers so we didn't have a cold weather package option. Maybe some Canadian Mk7s got it??? My understanding is that it was a can connected module on the PQ platform but on MQB it's ECU controlled and activation is only automatic. It's unlikely mine has ever turned on.

It's coded in 08 - Bit 4-7 (in my car) as Electric 1000W (PTC) 3-Stage via Engine Control Module (ECM)
In my random notes about what turns it on... Coolant below a certain temp, air temp maxed, fan speed above 1, RPM above 450, no energy management active, maybe a maximum outside temp.

A couple links for this retrofit, looks like the cars without this from factory "just" need some plastic cut out for the PTC heater to go in, and wiring/relays.
(Which also means I could buy HVAC unit 5Q1820353J without the heater and install my existing. The cutout will be easier to make outside the car anyway.)

https://www.drive2.ru/l/530242782103601378/
https://www.drive2.ru/l/494265662131142870/

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@Cuzoe respect for being able to get car stuff done and also be a parent, I don’t even have kids and my rate is like 0.5 retrofits/year 💀
He just started (mostly) sleeping through the night a few months ago which makes some night work possible. But finding the motivation to go dig into the car after he's down is difficult, given I have to be up before 6 for work. The Tesla also lives/charges in the garage so there's some coordination about how much driving the wife has done/has to do so that she doesn't have to go Supercharge. There are now 2 good size Supercharger lots near us (within 10-15 minutes) but it's an unnecessary inconvenience. Her car is LR but sometimes work has her all around LA and she might do 150+ miles multiple days in a row so we need the overnight home charging.

Jachas

Ready to race!
Car(s)
A3 8V
I suppose I don't know if the above parts come with all the actuator doors/motors.
- I would likely order the above new and if doesn't come with them I would order a used one eBay and switch them over
- If you ordered the doors/actuators separately (new) you would easily add another $1200 to the cost.

Doors come included with the box. Motors are not included (all of them)

Not sure it was installed in any (US) gassers so we didn't have a cold weather package option. Maybe some Canadian Mk7s got it???
PTC heater on MQB platform is mounted only in TDI's (AFAIK all EU TDI's have them standard) WITHOUT Aux. diesel heater (Webasto). TDI's with Webasto doesn't have PTC
Diesels ECU's (Bosch EDC17) are "PTC" ready (All maps for controlling the relays if PTC are there). Gasoline ECU's are not (Both, ME 17.5 from 1.2/1.4TSI and SIMOS 18 from 1.8/2.0TSI).

My understanding is that it was a can connected module on the PQ platform but on MQB it's ECU controlled and activation is only automatic.
Pre-facelift PQ (Bordnetz) had PTC's with CAN module for "sniffing" engine temp, alternator load, rmp's, etc. and had integraded relays, but theese PTC had problem with relays/electronic overheat causing failures of this type of PTC (but this one was possible to swap to gasoline cars, as ID. of data on CAN beetween diesel/gas was the same. Facelifted PQ (BCM era) recived analog PTC with external relays and was controlled by diesel ECU (and same case as on MQB platform, diesel only as gasoline ECU's doesn't have maps for PTC)

That aux heater has me curious as an alternate to the gas heater.

For TSI only as manually controlled by external switch. (Easy way)
Could be done automaticly for TSI by some external "control unit" on Aruino or something, on simillar way to PQ pre-facelift PTC (relays controlled by arduino "sniffing" required data from CAN network) (OEM-ish, hard way)

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I won't quote all of the above information, which is downright excellent! I'll order a used box on eBay (for the motors).

And If there's no damage I'll use the whole thing. If there's damage I'll order a new one from the vendor.

I still want to retrofit Webasto (for exactly no reason, if we're being honest)

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Sigh.. and here I was ready to write it off for good. Guess I’m writing all these part numbers down for posterity ;)

Jachas

Ready to race!
Car(s)
A3 8V
I still want to retrofit Webasto (for exactly no reason, if we're being honest)

Audi A3 8V had OEM retrofit kit for Webasto:

1.8TSI FWD : 8V0054965 superseded by 8V0054965C
1.8TSI AWD(And 2.0TSI AWD probably, because why not) : 8V0054965A superseded by 8V0054965D superseded by 8V0054965F (And no longer available)

Kit comes with everything needed (wiring, antena for remote, remote, webasto itself, piping, clamps, fuel pump and hoses, etc.)
I think difference between FWD and AWD kit would be for fuel piping and pump location (differences in fuel tanks), but apart from that, should be the same)
And Audi remote is different from VW ones, but if remote doesn't work, Webasto itself should work

If this kit was available in US? I dunno, but in EU it is

And one idea more to PTC on 1.8/2.0 TSI. As community of open source tuning on SIMOS is quite good. Theoretically it is possible to find free pins on ECU, code them as signal outputs for relays (they need to be shorted to ground) and add maps for PTC control to it and do it OEM way (or even better, AFAIR OEM starts from -5* C /23*F , it could be changed to more useful +5-7*C/41-45*F.

@Cuzoe linked some russian doing PTC swap to 1.2TSI. He used rear window heating relay for controlling the PTC (Turning on rear window would turn on PTC too). I fund other which used blower motor + to turn on PTC. It was connected to main + cable of blower motor. As is controlled by PWM, if would only turn on on maximum speed (6th). For hot season he was disconnecting PTC connector (more hassle in my opinion, and option with rear window relay is by far better)
Another posibility in golfs (but I'm not sure if every golf) is to use Windshield heating in MIB's clima menu(so coding needed and climatronic only I think). T46B/26 pin in BCM is used for controlling J47(windscreen heating relay). Disandvantage of this is you need to remember to turning it on manually (auto off is simmilar to rear window, so after few minutes will auto turn off)

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
If this kit was available in US? I dunno, but in EU it is
Unfortunately the answer to this question is almost always no. Retrofit is a word that dealers in the US do not seem to know. Was there a retrofit kit for the TDI?

@Cuzoe linked some russian doing PTC swap to 1.2TSI. He used rear window heating relay for controlling the PTC (Turning on rear window would turn on PTC too). I fund other which used blower motor + to turn on PTC. It was connected to main + cable of blower motor. As is controlled by PWM, if would only turn on on maximum speed (6th). For hot season he was disconnecting PTC connector (more hassle in my opinion, and option with rear window relay is by far better)
Another posibility in golfs (but I'm not sure if every golf) is to use Windshield heating in MIB's clima menu(so coding needed and climatronic only I think). T46B/26 pin in BCM is used for controlling J47(windscreen heating relay). Disandvantage of this is you need to remember to turning it on manually (auto off is simmilar to rear window, so after few minutes will auto turn off)
In your face gassers!!! I have everything on hand to retrofit heated windshield. Except time, really short on time.

Sort of related but also not relevant unless you have retrofitted "Mk8" heated steering wheel (with button on the wheel). When I had the climatronic panel installed the steering wheel heat button showed at the bottom of the climate screen. I could use the steering wheel button or the on screen button to turn steering wheel heat on/off. On screen button turns orange when on, and I get the icon in the top right of the screen showing the level. In the settings menu of the climate screen to change steering wheel heat level (low/med/high).

Now, with my manual HVAC panel reinstalled there is a (admittedly minor) bug I guess. The on screen steering wheel icon is now on the vehicle menu since the climate screen is no longer available...
1712153971258.png

When I hit the steering wheel button it goes orange and I get the top corner icon, as expected...
1712153492195.png

But selecting the on screen button doesn't turn the heated steering wheel on/off like it should... at first. In the Vehicle Settings I have the Heating page whose only option is to change the steering wheel heat level (low/med/high). I noted it now always defaults to low, where with Climatronic it retained whatever level was previously set. Anyway, once I select a level in the heating menu I can go back to the Vehicle screen and the on-screen steering wheel heat button now works as it should for on/off (along with the button on the wheel)... until an ignition cycle.
1712153897842.png

I don't care to go into the Vehicle screen to turn steering wheel heat on/off anyway so that on-screen button not working is a non issue. I do wish it retained my set level though instead of reverting to low. I'll keep messing around with it... but thought I would share with all the (zero, probably) people that might care.

Jachas

Ready to race!
Car(s)
A3 8V
Was there a retrofit kit for the TDI?
It was.For both 1.6 and 2.0 TDI. For FWD was 8V0054960 superseded by 8V0054960B (no longer available since 1st April 2022)
For AWD was 8V0054960A superseded by 8V0054960C (same, no longer available since 1st April 2022)

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
It was.For both 1.6 and 2.0 TDI. For FWD was 8V0054960 superseded by 8V0054960B (no longer available since 1st April 2022)
For AWD was 8V0054960A superseded by 8V0054960C (same, no longer available since 1st April 2022)
Gotcha, thanks... e-acca shows 8V0054960B as discontinued but available (old stock I would guess) for about $1,500 which seems like a good deal to get everything brand new... thinking about it, deeply.

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
Alright, maybe I got a little ahead of myself on doing the air quality/humidity sensor (4H0907658D). Looks like the stock connector to this sensor bank is slightly different. I have two potential options, get a new connector or shave the existing connector. Does anyone have the part number to connector for 4H0907658D handy? Also, I apparently received 4H0907658C from Ali, I can’t imagine it’ll be an issue.

IMG_1881.jpeg

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Alright, maybe I got a little ahead of myself on doing the air quality/humidity sensor (4H0907658D). Looks like the stock connector to this sensor bank is slightly different. I have two potential options, get a new connector or shave the existing connector. Does anyone have the part number to connector for 4H0907658D handy? Also, I apparently received 4H0907658C from Ali, I can’t imagine it’ll be an issue.
I've got in my notes... Air Quality/Humidity Sensor Connector - 4B0972883A

Is the connector in your car this part number? If it is then I'll have to look at some more notes 🤣

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
Thats the connector that I have unfortunately lol. Back to the notes. I'll look a bit further into it. I would imagine the rev C to D changes would be minimal.

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
Oh and on top of it, it turns out not all Climatronic systems are created equal as the GSW does not have a sensor in that location. Time to retrofit. Anyway, I think I found the connector on Digi-key. Not 100% positive but it fairly inexpensive (‎1-967642-1‎). The alignment pin appears to match the connector on 4H0907658D. I'll let you know in a few days. . .

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Looking forward to it. Easy retrofit, power ground and LIN picked up from whatever that sensor is that's right there in the engine bay.

Jachas

Ready to race!
Car(s)
A3 8V
I found interesting stuff to develop more comprehensive climatic to climatronic retrofit. According to this guy https://www.drive2.com/l/490550412340887746/ , it is actually possible to retrofit V107 (defroster flap) to climatic air-box! (at least DENSO ones, if this trick works on VALEO boxes? Someone with VALEO should check it out and confirm)

If this is true and actually works, then should be possible to do "almost complete" retrofit(1-zone climatronic as passenger temp flaps still be missing). This (V107 retrofit) and recirc flap V425 retrofit should resolve all the problems with climatronic changing vents from time to time and recirc flap issues

Things needed:
V107 defroster flap motor 5Q0907511K superseded by 2Q0907511G (VALEO uses 5Q0907511D superseded by 5WA907511B)
Rebuild kit of gears for air-box flaps 5Q0898001 (DENSO airbox) / If VALEO airbox allow the same, then 5Q0898001A rebuild kit should do the trick, second rebuild kit for VALEO is 3Q0898141B but this one look like is for motor on the left side)
6Q0972706 connector for V107 + Pins
N10424102 screws for V107
In the link mentioned before there are the pictures showing the process. In point 2 of the tutorial it shows that the blue shaft connecting blue levers needs to be disconnected, and 2 gears from the kit need to be connected from the other side of the air-box and then V107 engine need to be mounted with screws, How to connect the wiring is shown in point 4 (is from skoda, but should be the same in others MQB cars

Comprehensive retrofit with V107,V425,Air quality and humidity sensor, sun sensor,Rain and light sensor(with integrated interior humidity sensor, and other stuff like temps sensors, would make all the functions to work as they should. Of course without second temp zone, but without need to take dashboard out, dashboard support, air-box, etc.

Last edited: