GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Samb

Car(s)
Golf MK7
Hello, everyone.

I need advice please.

MK7 R - 55k miles

On occasions, the vehicle emits a gurgling sound after being turned off after a regular drive, as well as some other sounds, although these do not appear uncommon and are simply the result of typical electrical components/vehicle cooling down.

The extent of a journey makes no difference; it can occur on a short trip of as little as 5 miles or a long journey of 25 miles or more.

The sound is coming from the driver's side of the vehicle. I believe it is related to the coolant reservoir.

I carried out numerous checks:

There is no white or milky smoke (the vehicle has generally had major services, haldex, and DSG from Volkswagen). Another major service was carried out, as well as brake fluid replacement, on February 10th, with no issues noted. Everything is fine with the maintenance list report.

There is no white exhaust smoke unless it is cold, which is due to chemical reaction (condensation).

No loss of power. The vehicle performs as intended. There are no difficulties.

No water or strange odour (I've read online that if the coolant isn't visible, it's being burned and may have a strange odour.)

No overheating. Engine and oil temperature are always within the optimal range. There are no issues to report.

No noticeable damp spots or puddles. There are no white, dried-up water/coolant streaks.

The diagnostic scan returns no codes relevant to the problem and indicates the vehicle to be in good condition.

Coolant needs to be replenished approximately once a month. If driven in race mode, it may operate as a catalyst, necessitating topping up after three weeks roughly.

With frequent coolant top-ups. I am almost positive there is a leak, and the water pump/+ thermostat housing may need to be replaced.

Would you also agree that the car requires a water pump and thermo housing replacement as it is approaching the 60k mark? I understand that water pumps do not have set mileage limitations and can malfunction at any time.

I do not believe it is a head gasket leak for the reasons indicated above.

I've read about air locks and heater cores online. Could that be the cause? (I don't think so; my heaters heat up and blow hot air as they should. Sometimes too hot for my comfort, but then again, it's a performance car that heats up fast and emits a lot of heat).

Or is it purely because it's a performance vehicle and the coolant is running low due to utilisation? Also, I checked the coolant level and reservoir tank after about 5 minutes of shutting off the vehicle, and there is no major buildup of pressure, if any at all.

Pineapple

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI S
Hello, everyone.

I need advice please.

MK7 R - 55k miles

On occasions, the vehicle emits a gurgling sound after being turned off after a regular drive, as well as some other sounds, although these do not appear uncommon and are simply the result of typical electrical components/vehicle cooling down.

The extent of a journey makes no difference; it can occur on a short trip of as little as 5 miles or a long journey of 25 miles or more.

The sound is coming from the driver's side of the vehicle. I believe it is related to the coolant reservoir.

I carried out numerous checks:

There is no white or milky smoke (the vehicle has generally had major services, haldex, and DSG from Volkswagen). Another major service was carried out, as well as brake fluid replacement, on February 10th, with no issues noted. Everything is fine with the maintenance list report.

There is no white exhaust smoke unless it is cold, which is due to chemical reaction (condensation).

No loss of power. The vehicle performs as intended. There are no difficulties.

No water or strange odour (I've read online that if the coolant isn't visible, it's being burned and may have a strange odour.)

No overheating. Engine and oil temperature are always within the optimal range. There are no issues to report.

No noticeable damp spots or puddles. There are no white, dried-up water/coolant streaks.

The diagnostic scan returns no codes relevant to the problem and indicates the vehicle to be in good condition.

Coolant needs to be replenished approximately once a month. If driven in race mode, it may operate as a catalyst, necessitating topping up after three weeks roughly.

With frequent coolant top-ups. I am almost positive there is a leak, and the water pump/+ thermostat housing may need to be replaced.

Would you also agree that the car requires a water pump and thermo housing replacement as it is approaching the 60k mark? I understand that water pumps do not have set mileage limitations and can malfunction at any time.

I do not believe it is a head gasket leak for the reasons indicated above.

I've read about air locks and heater cores online. Could that be the cause? (I don't think so; my heaters heat up and blow hot air as they should. Sometimes too hot for my comfort, but then again, it's a performance car that heats up fast and emits a lot of heat).

Or is it purely because it's a performance vehicle and the coolant is running low due to utilisation? Also, I checked the coolant level and reservoir tank after about 5 minutes of shutting off the vehicle, and there is no major buildup of pressure, if any at all.

Premature water pump fails is one of the most common problems on this car it seems.

Water pump class action lawsuit thread here https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/class-action-lawsuit-letter-waterpump.402059/

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Anyone using CarPlay with an iPhone 15 (w/ the USB-C plug)? It still works fine right? I have MIB2 (3Q0035876, never updated, Software ver. 0241)

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Anyone using CarPlay with an iPhone 15 (w/ the USB-C plug)? It still works fine right? I have MIB2 (3Q0035876, never updated, Software ver. 0241)
Yep, works for me

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
While my car is in the shop, I was considering pulling the rear seat and adding red alcantara inserts to match the Recaro's. Would be a good time to do it. Anyone done this? I already have the material.

Estland

Car(s)
Mk7
Hello guys,

I'm planning to install lights sun visor lights. Besides buying the lights I have question. Are the base model sun visors the same with the ones with the lights? (Do they have the wiring for the switch?)

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Do we think this is real this time?

Attachments

• IMG_2790.png
    IMG_2790.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 37