GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 steering vs Mk8 Steering

bucknutVW

Ready to race!
So I just bought a new Golf R manual. I got it last week and I really like it. Compared to my 2015 GTI, its faster, handles better etc... but for-whatever reason the steering seems to be disconnected. I wasnt sure if the handling is just a lot better so it feels a bit bland or not. I kept my GTI so I can drive them back to back. has anyone else noticed this or maybe this is just the way cars are being made now since losing hydraulic steering years ago.

bentin

Autocross Champion
So I just bought a new Golf R manual. I got it last week and I really like it. Compared to my 2015 GTI, its faster, handles better etc... but for-whatever reason the steering seems to be disconnected. I wasnt sure if the handling is just a lot better so it feels a bit bland or not. I kept my GTI so I can drive them back to back. has anyone else noticed this or maybe this is just the way cars are being made now since losing hydraulic steering years ago.
I actually find on the lighter settings that it feels better than my Mk7.5. It does get a little vague when it’s in the heavier settings, but it’s also a little tire dependent. I swap between 19s and 17s and the steering feel is actually better with the 17s.

bucknutVW

Ready to race!
I actually find on the lighter settings that it feels better than my Mk7.5. It does get a little vague when it’s in the heavier settings, but it’s also a little tire dependent. I swap between 19s and 17s and the steering feel is actually better with the 17s.
Mine came with the Bridgestone summer on 19s. What do you run? The more I drive it the more I like it.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Mine came with the Bridgestone summer on 19s. What do you run? The more I drive it the more I like it.
I got Goodyear SuperSports on the factory 19s and run 255/40-17 Hankook RS4 on Apex VS-5RS wheels.