GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 Buttons

LMWT

Go Kart Newbie
This is a reasonable / realistic assessment of the infamous Mk8 buttons or lack of. One he missed here - mute can be activated by touching the on / off button on the infotainment unit (a longer touch switches it off) and the mute button is also shown on the media that's playing. Finally one that I always take up and is rarely mentioned - dimmable interior lights by touch and holding.

Last edited:

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Dug it.

H-Bomb

Go Kart Champion
I’ve had mine for a few days and actually like it. Super customizable.

whoever said they are hitting haptics while driving (accidentally)...I don’t get it.

I like it. The only annoyance for me is the gauge settings default when changing modes. I’ll take it...if that’s my biggest gripe.

AbsorbingDink

I’ve had mine for a few days and actually like it. Super customizable.

whoever said they are hitting haptics while driving (accidentally)...I don’t get it.

I like it. The only annoyance for me is the gauge settings default when changing modes. I’ll take it...if that’s my biggest gripe.
I agree had mine for just over a week and I like the buttons and have yet to accidentally hit any of the buttons.

Gio_57

When the iPhone came out, Steve Jobs said on stage how physical buttons on old mobile phones are always there whether you want them or not. This is why touch screens are so great as you can change what you are touching.

What angers me sooo much about touch buttons in the golf is that unlike a smartphone the button does the same function EVERYTIME. Volume up, volume down, clima, park menu.

This makes it totally unnecessary for the buttons to be touch buttons. Just awful.

LMWT

Go Kart Newbie
My thought is if they are one function only it doesn't really matter if they are touch or mechanical type.
I assume VW are saving financially by having them touch type, in that case I would have no criticism of VW bar the volume and temp controls not being back lit.
Overall VW have a mismash of the same controls and their implementation in the ID series and the Mk8. Why not have them all the same matt finish bar the slider controls?
I suppose haptic and gloss black finish look more expensive (as a lot of other manufacturers seem to believe - nice to look at but don't touch - crazy or what!) just have a good supply of microfibre cloths at hand as I do.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
I’m actually very happy with our Mk8 and think it’s a fantastic car mechanically, comfort, quality, fuel economy and in terms of the assist systems.

But I must say, I’m not a great fan of the touch buttons. Our car has a mix of real buttons (on the steering wheel) and touch buttons (on the switch pad beside the steering wheel for lights, heated rear screen etc).

The difference is that with a real button you can feel for the correct one with the tip of your finger and, once located, press it - all without taking your eye off the road. With a touch button, you have to look down to make sure you’re about to press the right button, and you also have to sort of steady your hand on the adjacent trim to make sure you press the right one.

Its not a show-stopper for me (nor is the unlit volume / heating sliders) just something VW could do better.