GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 Orders

Grace11

As you may of seen from my 'rants' I have had date after date for my GTE. I am interested if you had any extras on your car, eg leather seats, head-up display etc. However I believe my delay is base on the Hybrid design? who knows?
Yep I also received date after date for my car! Really lost hope with it and got to the point I was going to cancel multiple times but just kept holding on and so glad I did now!
Upgrades I got were the winter pack, upgraded HK sound system and a panoramic sunroof!

Grace11

Just for reference this was my journey-

2nd August 2021- order confirmed.
Build week updates:
Aug 21- Week 47 (Nov 2021)
Sept 21- Week 48 (Dec 2021)
Oct 21- Week 4 (Jan 2022)
Nov 21- Week 6 (February 2022)
Dec 21- Week 9 (February 2022)
Jan 22- Week 16 (April 2022)
Feb 22- Week 23 (June 2022)
March 22- Week 25 (June 2022)
April 22- Week 28 (July 2022)
May 22- Status 00 - Factory getting ready for 2023 cars
June 22- Week 47 (November 2022)
July 22- Week 42 (October 2022)
August 22- Week 47 (November 2022)
Sept 22- Week 48 (November 2022)
Oct 22- Status 00
Nov 22- Week 23 (June 2023)
Dec 22- Week 21 (May 2023)
Jan 23- STATUS 20 - confirmed build week 10 (March 2023)

March 2023:
Build week commenced 5/3/23, car completed and dispatched from factory to Emden port 27/3/23!

Raketisch

Last update I have received was build week 19.
Car was ordered December 2021 (Life Diesel DSG) with extras: rear camera, side assist and spare wheel. That is now 16 months for a car with a few extras...

DeltaBravo

Hello Iā€™m new to the forum. I placed an order through an online broker for an Mk8 style, DSG with 18ā€ alloys and sunroof early November 21. After a few build dates came and went, it was allegedly built in week 43 ie November 22. Since then all the dealer can tell me is that it is still at the factory!!!
Iā€™m a very patient person and am fully aware of the semi conductor shortage etc etc but the lack of information is driving me mad. Anyone else had a similar experience?

DenverPete

Discovered and been following this page for 2 months now but only posted today. (problem with email confirmation)

I ordered a GTE in mid July 21

without much equipament. Almost the basic version.

and still donĀ“t have a confirmed date.

Was thinking the car was never gona arrive until i saw that i was not the only one. That made me feel a bit better.

I only ask my salesman near the provisional built date he said.

He gave me a provisional built date of week 17 of 2023 on Setember of 2022

Still, 20 months waiting is too much time.
Well look on the positive side, you won't have as long to wait now as you have already!! you and I are in the same boat. However every cloud etc. Whilst your waiting the value is going up. Keep in touch.

walker

Go Kart Newbie
All the folks who have ordered a "built to order" mk8, how did you do it? Is this a thing I can do in the United States?

Seeing as its taking over a year for some of you, I talked to my dealer today about ordering a 2024. They said there is no build to order process. I could put down a refundable deposit with my criteria (manual, black, etc) and IF they get "allocated" a model that matches they would call me, in order of names on the list. But they have little to no say over what cars they get.

I realize I'm looking for a unicorn....us spec (not row), manual, black, S trim (because I despise leather seats and sunroofs) Seems to be incredibly rare in the states, which is why I wanted to have one built to order. Willing to wait, but doesn't seem to be a way to do it.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
All the folks who have ordered a "built to order" mk8, how did you do it? Is this a thing I can do in the United States?

Seeing as its taking over a year for some of you, I talked to my dealer today about ordering a 2024. They said there is no build to order process. I could put down a refundable deposit with my criteria (manual, black, etc) and IF they get "allocated" a model that matches they would call me, in order of names on the list. But they have little to no say over what cars they get.

I realize I'm looking for a unicorn....us spec (not row), manual, black, S trim (because I despise leather seats and sunroofs) Seems to be incredibly rare in the states, which is why I wanted to have one built to order. Willing to wait, but doesn't seem to be a way to do it.
I think that ā€™built to orderā€™ or ā€˜standard spec onlyā€˜ is something thatā€™s decided by VWā€™s representation in the specific geographical location - presumably based on such factors as customer buying habits, customer feedback, average customer spend on a new car. In the UK, built to order tends to be the norm with many car manufacturers, including VW, whereas VW US have decided - for whatever reason - that a standard level of trim will be offered without the opportunity to personalise the car (other than choose itā€™s paint colour?).

Interestingly in the UK, Seat (part of VAG) moved away from ā€˜built to orderā€™ a few years ago; once a customer has chosen the trim level for their new car, the only options available to them are choice of engine type / size, paint colour and alloy wheel upgrade. I donā€™t know if this is the norm for Seat in other markets, but only building cars to a specific trim level does have benefits for the car manufacturer, as it removes an element of complexity from the production process.

The big downside of ā€˜built to orderā€™ for the customer is the potential for very long wait times; the more options added to a specific car by a customer, the more complex the build as there will be more third party companies supplying parts and components to VW in the supply chain, which increases the risk of disruption of the supply chain. On some VW forums, there are reports of customer waiting around two years for a mk8 Golf from time of ordering to taking delivery. IMHO thatā€™s a crazy wait time for a mass produced car.

SteveWint

Anyone from the UK got a GTD on order and received a confirmed build date yet? My order was placed December 21 with the expected delivery September 22. I currently have an unconfirmed build date of June 23. Just wondering how close to the actual build do they confirm it. I almost cancelled my order last week, but have decided to give it a couple more months and see what happens
My dates exactly mirror yours, currently got an unconfirmed build date if week 24, whenever that is.
Standard model, no extras.

ghostwalker

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello everyone!

Currently on a similar journey to you lot so thought Iā€™d sign up! šŸ˜‚

When our cars do eventually get built, does anyone know the situation at the ports like Emden etc these days? How long is the turnaround?

UK based, by the way šŸ˜ƒ

MikeMK8

Ready to race!
Hello everyone!

When our cars do eventually get built, does anyone know the situation at the ports like Emden etc these days? How long is the turnaround?

I have the same question but for Cyprus or Middle East.
I got information that my car is at the Emden port. Nothing else. My Country has a website where we can check all the ports departures and arrivals. Been checking it everyday for a week now hoping to see a shipment come thru šŸ˜‚

DenverPete

I think that ā€™built to orderā€™ or ā€˜standard spec onlyā€˜ is something thatā€™s decided by VWā€™s representation in the specific geographical location - presumably based on such factors as customer buying habits, customer feedback, average customer spend on a new car. In the UK, built to order tends to be the norm with many car manufacturers, including VW, whereas VW US have decided - for whatever reason - that a standard level of trim will be offered without the opportunity to personalise the car (other than choose itā€™s paint colour?).

Interestingly in the UK, Seat (part of VAG) moved away from ā€˜built to orderā€™ a few years ago; once a customer has chosen the trim level for their new car, the only options available to them are choice of engine type / size, paint colour and alloy wheel upgrade. I donā€™t know if this is the norm for Seat in other markets, but only building cars to a specific trim level does have benefits for the car manufacturer, as it removes an element of complexity from the production process.

The big downside of ā€˜built to orderā€™ for the customer is the potential for very long wait times; the more options added to a specific car by a customer, the more complex the build as there will be more third party companies supplying parts and components to VW in the supply chain, which increases the risk of disruption of the supply chain. On some VW forums, there are reports of customer waiting around two years for a mk8 Golf from time of ordering to taking delivery. IMHO thatā€™s a crazy wait time for a mass produced car.
If you're looking for a GTI in standard build with no extras you may find it comes with a DSG transmission (Direct Shift Gearbox). This can be used as an automatic or manual operation using paddles on the steering column, if that is OK.
Yes there are very long waiting times for some models, usually the the higher spec ones. I have been waiting for 21 months so far. July will be it's 2nd anniversary. Good luck?

walker

Go Kart Newbie
DSG is a deal breaker. I need my third pedal!

I know 'build to order' could imply specific options and accessories. That's the way most car buying in the US was decades ago. I remember my dad buying a car and choosing everything from the air filter to the tow hitch. Then you'd wait for it to be built.

I don't even want that. I'll take a generic factory build with standard features. As long as it's manual transmission, black, and not an Autobahn edition. Even if vw offered one build, no matter what everybody gets the same car, no options...there should be a way to say "yes I'll take it, please add +1 to the assembly line." Apparently in the US they can't even co-ordinate that.

Grace11

Hello everyone!

My car will have been sat at Emden port for 2 weeks as of tomorrow awaiting a shipment to Grimsby but the second it's on one and I have anymore info I will keep you updated!šŸ¤£

Foogow

I am order 2023 Golf R variant in 2023 Feb and sales told me schedule build in 2023 Week 15.
Sales update status is ready to build last week FYR.
Not sure how long it takes for build a car?